Looking to buy 205GTI need some advice.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Looking to buy 205GTI need some advice.

TnT
    Tadpole

Default Looking to buy 205GTI need some advice.

Hi all as a young boy growing up in Europe mid late 80s to 90s I always wanted a 205GTI. So I am now looking. There are a couple on car sales one in particular I like its been on there for a while under $5k and one over $11k what's a good price. Parts any advice where I can get hold of parts..........if there is anyone out there with one for sale or thinking of selling let me know. Thanks TnT

Via the aussiefrogs App

Advertisement
    Last edited by TnT; 11th February 2016 at 07:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome to Aussiefrogs TnT,

As I am sue you know, the price of a 205gti is fairly representative of its condition, so I would expect that over 11k, it would be in excellent condition, series 3, all fixtures and fittings in excellent order. Under 5k is a more reasonable price tag, and will require a little work. But realistically, if you are handy with a spanner, and enjoy tinkering with a car, there are plenty of 205s available for 2k or less.

Let us know what you want, and we can help you find something I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    As I am sue you know, the price of a 205gti is fairly representative of its condition
    Actually, I would have said that the 205GTI is more prone than most cars to people asking lots of money for cars that are worth much less because the owner thinks it's a 'classic'. The car that is on carsales at the moment for $12k is a good example.

That much money for a 205 should buy you an s3 (or in UK language, a phase 2) that is original and in excellent condition in every way. The only other way a 205 will be worth that much money is if it has a 16v conversion that has been done well. A s2 (or, in UK language, a phase 1.5) or a series 1 (phase 1) will usually be worth $7-8k max, and will need to be very good to get that.

The one on carsales for $12k has been commented on here before - it's a bitsa - an s2 with a mix of s3 bits - s3 wheels, s3 lights, s1 rear panel, cracked dash, wrong gear lever, door cards that no-one can identify, broken intake hose (which indicates a car that is not loved or maintained)... it's not even registered. Should sell for closer to half that price.

Genuinely good 205s often sell very quickly - eg, there was an s3 that looked okay that came up for about $4k a few weeks ago. It was gone in a couple of days. All of the ones on carsales at the moment have been there for a long time, which tells you something...

See if you can talk someone like Gezza over your side of the country to go out and have a look at one for you and point out what to look for. Then you need to just wait, learn about them and be prepared to move when something good comes up.
    Last edited by Richard W; 11th February 2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: "less" not "more"
    michael_ozzie and TnT like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    Actually, I would have said that the 205GTI is more prone than most cars to people asking lots of money for cars that are worth much more because the owner thinks it's a 'classic'. The car that is on carsales at the moment for $12k is a good example.

That much money for a 205 should buy you an s3 (or in UK language, a phase 2) that is original and in excellent condition in every way. The only other way a 205 will be worth that much money is if it has a 16v conversion that has been done well. A s2 (or, in UK language, a phase 1.5) or a series 1 (phase 1) will usually be worth $7-8k max, and will need to be very good to get that.
    That's fair enough, I agree with all of the above. There are always dreamers who want beyond top dollar for their clapped out cars, but that's why they never move, and well priced, clean and genuinely well looked after 205s typically sell quickly.

All the best finding one that suits you.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Richard is on the money. You're more likely to see these cars overpriced than honestly represented. Watch out for a lot of "UK rust free imports" - there's a mob doing these rounds and I think they've only got like one car but they've got about five for sale - you know, for all budgets.

Best advice? Go and see with own eyes. Poke the shit out of it and don't let go of unanswered questions. Avoid modifications (engine swaps) like the plague, check for matching numbers and history. Pay no more than 500$ for anything that is not in order with all the above. Be prepared to wait a while, consider buying an Si - by now, most likely much better preserved by single virtue of having been left alone and owned by reasonable people who just took them in regularly for servicing.
    DjB8V and TnT like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Hi there, welcome hope your search goes well.
    My start to this world was a very quick un-researched purchase of a cheap 205GTI in need of lots of love. In saying that I must agree with the comments above especially about condition as our car is very sound just a lot of little issues. That's good for me as turning spanners is in my blood, but if your interested in less trouble shooting then the SI or an actual restored or unmolested GTI would be the go.

One thing to note is that these cars are not supported by Peugeot very well anymore so some parts are easy to find and some like my missing dash parts are bloody scarce and typically in varying degrees of sort of ok.

Another thing that I think about these cars is that because they are not worth heaps and have a reputation for fun driving a lot of them have been messed around with.

This group is excellent so well done in coming here, a good start to your search and 205 life to come.
    cheers Craig

Oh and ask as many questions as you like, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app
    TnT likes this.

TnT
    Tadpole

Thanks all appreciate your comments and advise. I am in no hurry so as suggested I can take my time and buy once and well.

I did see another on Carsales only 1 photo 1987 1.9 been on for awhile seems ok but not sure how genuine it is. Location is ATC which is to far for me. Have any of you guys have any thoughts? Thanks again. TnT

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger!

Frankly regarding the ACT car, the owner hasn't gone out of their way to document what has been done to the car and the fact there is only one sub-standard external photo has my alarm bells ringing.

I'm new here as well, But I know the Si is pretty good bang for the buck...
    Mine's pretty beat up but including the twelve months rego it only owes me about two grand.

hey let us know if you think you have found a good un... and I will tell ya if it is and even come with ya to check it out if ya like..

I have had one or two of em before and know em inside out :-)
    TnT and UNM like this.

1990 Renault 5 GT turbo
    ####current rides####
    1994 205 gti 1.9 sorento green
    1988 205 gti 1.9 uk import grey
    2001 clio 172 sport ph1 #44/85
    1998 306 gti6. Blaze yellow
    1992 Honda Fireblade
    2013 Yamaha fzs sho Jetski
    1998 Supra RZ twin turbo white
    1999 Wrx classic gc8 sonic blue

TnT
    Tadpole

Thanks again.

Via the aussiefrogs App

As an example of Variability on pricing, on eBay UK there is an original one owner low km model being offered for 23000 pounds. That's close to 50k in our money!
    TnT and addo like this.

Oh, yeah, but then again, in the UK there's people who make a living by selling you back your own company name when you want to open your business there.

There's quite a few nice GTIs for sale around Europe right now and the nicest are just pushing 12k Euro. That's cars from Switzerland and Southern Italy/Spain/Portugal so potentially rust free.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

TnT
    Tadpole

Got one!!!!!! 1.9 1987

Via the aussiefrogs App
    EvilElmo likes this.

Photos please!

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

How much dinero?

TnT
    Tadpole

Having trouble loading photos.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Looking forward to seeing those pics!

1000+ Posts

Click on the Insert Image icon above the reply box (hover over them to work out which). Select From Computer then Basic Uploader and load the pic from your computer.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

TnT
    Tadpole

Sorry for the delay Looking to buy 205GTI need some advice.-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1458300494.139477.jpgLooking to buy 205GTI need some advice.-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1458300514.294897.jpg

Via the aussiefrogs App

Looks cool, is that grey exterior? Bought it on Gumtree I take it? Does it need much work?
    TnT likes this.

1000+ Posts

I know that you've just bought it but a 205 GTI is a driver's car. I suggest checking tyres for manufacturing date stamp & for type. Crap tyres will hardly put a smile on your face at the first wet corner although they might encourage personal hygiene by motivating an underwear change.

cheers! Peter
    flock likes this.

TnT
    Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Looks cool, is that grey exterior? Bought it on Gumtree I take it? Does it need much work?
    Bit of work not much I would like to do a few things like remove drums for the back put disc .......would I need to update the master cylinder?

Improve steering
    Gear change
    Upgrade suspension
    Electrical upgrades
    Exhaust up grade.

Any suggestions advice ?

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by TnT View Post
    Bit of work not much I would like to do a few things like remove drums for the back put disc .......would I need to update the master cylinder?

Improve steering
    Gear change
    Upgrade suspension
    Electrical upgrades
    Exhaust up grade.

Any suggestions advice ?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    You cant improve the steering, suspension and exhaust of a 205GTI. If they work well, you have the best there is. Stock items do that for you because the car was designed by engineers, not committees. Get new parts, replace everything (the only thing you will have trouble with is finding OEM shocks), drive it to see what its like and if you still want to improve that, you are probably Michael Schumacher and we cant help you.

The gearchange can be made a bit tighter with spherical joints you can buy from bearing places (a bit of dinero here). Make sure engine and gbox mounts are in top nick first though otherwise you wont see any improvement. Actually, just get a new set.

Given that electrics dont usually work, anything is an improvement here (even getting rid of things).

Why do you need rear discs?
    lozenge likes this.

TnT
    Tadpole

It's what I was thinking year s of design must account for something no need for me to come along and stuff it up.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    lozenge likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information