New Member looking for some advice.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: New Member looking for some advice.

Tadpole

Default New Member looking for some advice.

Hi, I am looking at an Estate/Station wagon as I have a 60kg dog to cart around. I was thinking a 2008-2012 model 308 or a 407. * Is there anything I should be looking for? * Any models or years i should avoid? * What is the parts and servicing like is Sydney?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Welcome to AF. Both cars are decent, but built on different bases. EG, the suspension of the 308 is struts in front and a twist beam at rear; the 407 has double wishbones at the front and a multilink rear. There are some engines in common. I would avoid any variety of modern Pug with a four speed auto. You'll get plenty of opinions on the merits of each car. My pick is a 2.0 litre diesel with 6 speed auto.

You haven't said which corner of Sydney you are from, but there are independent quality workshops whose charges are friendlier than the dealer network. The same goes for parts - they are readily obtained from independent suppliers at sensible prices. This forum is always directing people to affordable (or obtainable) parts sources.

These cars, like everything else today, are highly computerised, and you need a serviceman with the correct PSA diagnostic software. Many of us here have our own.
    Beren likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks!I was looking at the 6 -speed auto w/ the 2.0 litre diesel. I have checked out Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car? as well and both seem to be on the better side of average. I live in the inner west, so I can really go anywhere to get it serviced, I take it for 2nd hand cars i should avoid anything coming up the the big service intervals (100k km?) Thanks for your help.

On the contrary, I suggest buying a car due for a "big one" but haggling accordingly.

Which is worth more - the assurances of a used car dealer ("Freshly serviced, we did all that stuff") or a mechanical agent you can develop rapport with, saying "Hey, you want to keep an eye on this (insert item) over the next while"?

The 407 wagon is noticeably a larger car, you could fit a small fridge in there (lying down). Longer wheelbase, better composed, yet harder to find inner city parking spots for.

I'd also suggest being very wary of anything with a DPO/AL4 Trans

aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999 - aussiefrogs.com - Google Search Results

1000+ Posts

The transmission code Robmac mentioned is the 4 speed auto. Good ones are great, but an expensive older one means sell the car to someone unsuspecting. PSA fit a Japanese 6 speed from Aisin Seiki to higher torque models now, and it is a smooth reliable unit used by several manufacturers.

The big $ services on the 2.0 L HDI diesel are timing belt and Eolys (exhaust filter catalyst) replenishment. The km / age intervals for the belt have increased recently (I don't know if the belt has changed or PSA are becoming more trusting). Eolys (cerium) lasts about 160,000 km. Otherwise the service needs are quite modest and well within the usual owner's abilities.

The 2.0 HDI engines get updated at times. Older engines could clog up the EGR if you don't watch. Current ones seem ok in that respect.

The P407 has a lot in common with the Citroen C5, though the latter station wagons are in high demand and there were fewer new.

Thread Information