306 headlights improvement
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 headlights improvement

does anyone know if the later version of the 306 gti6 headlights (99-01) will fit the 1997 model?
    mine are pretty shite and I was thinking that replacing the entire assembly, not just the bulbs, will do the job much nicer

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Depends on the 97 model you're talking about. Models changed from N3 to N5 so I assume require talking about the update. I have an early N5.

From what i can see they are the same. Are your issues relating to glass pitting and /minor cracks?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Many years ago I purchased aftermarket headlights for my 306. They came with projector lenses and definitely improved the low beam. You could search for something like these (if still available).

I might be able to find you a better pic of them if needed.

Cheers
    Ben
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

It's N5 for sure pugnut.

The lenses themselves are in a pretty good condition but the way they are made is the old way with glass having all kinds of ridges across it.

Ben, did you need to modify anything else or they just slotted straight in? In UK they talk about changing stalks etc

My only complaint with our new 306 was the headlamps, which I though were pretty ordinary. I tried higher wattage bulbs (20 years ago) but they tended to fail. I just put up with it. There are lots more bulb options now I guess.

The good thing about glass is that it doesn't turn yellow IMHO. I'll be very interested to see what you end up doing as we still have the car.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Will keep you posted.

I believe that the "angel eyes" lenses as they call them are also glass... could be wrong though!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    It's N5 for sure pugnut.

The lenses themselves are in a pretty good condition but the way they are made is the old way with glass having all kinds of ridges across it.

Ben, did you need to modify anything else or they just slotted straight in? In UK they talk about changing stalks etc
    Vlad, the shiny part at the back is the reflector (& being parabolic it does partly do the job of a lens, ie focus the light), while the ridged glass is the lens. My 'modern' (2001) 406 has clear polycarbonate 'lenses', which do not focus the light nearly as well
    as the old glass lenses. Clear polycarbonate works well with projector lenses, as the light is focussed by the projector.

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    does anyone know if the later version of the 306 gti6 headlights (99-01) will fit the 1997 model?
    mine are pretty shite and I was thinking that replacing the entire assembly, not just the bulbs, will do the job much nicer
    The later ones are a twin globe set up whilst the earlier ones have one globe (not including parkers).

I swapped from single globe to twin globe in my sisters n3 and had to change the stalk to. Id imagine you'd have to do the same. I think the hardest thing you'll have would be the plugs may be slightly different on the lights. So you'd have to swap the plugs. Easy job I did it on my 406. I went from early to late.

I also put hid's in the high beams on my cars including an 01 306 cabriolet. The high beams where brilliant.
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

I think I might be going down the path that SilverGti_6 took with angel eyes as they are projector types

anyone has info on what the correct part number is for the twin optics indicator switch is?

Thread Information