• 2 Post By s_ikari2015
  • 6 Post By s_ikari2015
  • 2 Post By lozenge
  • 1 Post By s_ikari2015
  • 1 Post By EvilElmo
  • 1 Post By s_ikari2015

Thread: My First Pug

Default My First Pug

Hi Everyone. This week I joined the Aussie Frog Owners when I found a little white Peugeot 205 SI on Gumtree. I've always liked the 205s and decided "why not?" as it was within my $1000 budget for a new commuter vehicle.

Well, I was a little nervous when it was missing on the test drive under light acceleration, but having worked on several different types of cars before I was confident it was an easy fix, plus I got $100 knocked off the price.

So Thursday night I was down my local "very inexpensive" auto store and picked up new spark plugs. $25 fixed the missing problem and the car runs great now. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Advertisement

Now I know you're probably thinking "why did you get the 1.6 SI instead of finding a GTI?". Simple, budget and purpose. I only wanted to spend $1k on the purchase of a car, not 5 times that, and it's only going to be a commuter car so I can start some more projects on my CV8 Monaro and 1983 Subaru Sherpa.

I'm a bit car crazy, and I'm really looking forward to learning everything I can about this little French mystery box.

I'll get some photos up sometime soon.
    SilverGTi_6 and okalford like this.

Welcome mate. Looks forward to seeing the pics.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Welcome, I've also joined recently after getting a little white 205, hopefully you enjoy it as much as I've been. There's lots of helpful supportive fellow pug owners here.
    cheers Craig

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app

Welcome to the SI club!
    Now where's the photos?

When I bought my Clio 4 years ago, I read up a lot on 80's and 90's French cars in my old magazines. I read quitea a few articles on the 205 SI. Almost all were very complimentary despite the significant price premium over Japanese and French shopping cars of the day. If I didn't already have 4 cars, it's one I'd certainly consider as a club plate car now that they're reaching the 25 year mark.

As promised, here are the photos of my fun little 205 that I'm rapidly becoming very fond of.

My First Pug-img_20160203_184355.jpgMy First Pug-img_20160203_191433.jpgMy First Pug-img_20160205_191305.jpgMy First Pug-img_20160205_191310.jpgMy First Pug-img_20160205_191319.jpgMy First Pug-img_20160205_191330.jpg
    Pugly 306, UNM, okalford and 3 others like this.

it looks in terrific nick! seems like a very good buy.
    welcome to 205 world, us little band of musketeers...

It has a few things, well, several things that need fixing.

Aircon doesn't engage
    Heat core is disconnected (good assumption it's leaked)
    Blower Fan doesn't turn on at all
    Front foglights are unplugged and passenger side is smashed
    Tailgate has rust spots
    Driver's door has dent in lower half with cracked paint
    Driver's side headlight adjuster is broken/unservicable and headlight has to be held upright with duct tape
    Drivers seat base stitching has come undone at the back (no tears awesomely) and foam worn on driver's right base bolster
    Front AND rear windscreen washers don't work (front is probably the motor, rear is missing the nozzle but the motor works)
    Two instrument lights behind the speedo are out
    Trip meter reset doesn't work (odometer and trip meter does, just can't reset)
    Coin tray lid has no hinges or push clip
    Central locking on the driver's door and tailgate doesn't always work, and doesn't work at all on the passenger door (does the passenger door even have central locking?)

Oh, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get access to replace the oil filter... I've got a haynes manual on the way, but I'm guessing it's going to say something clever like:
    "Remove the oil filter making sure the old oil seal is also removed. Before fitting the new filter apply a film of new oil to the new oil filter seal. Fit the new oil filter turning clockwise until hand-tight."

Thanks, but HOW do I get access to remove said old filter and then fit said new filter? The aircon is in the way from the bottom, the intake manifold is in the way from the top and the radiator is in the way from the front of the car. Well done Peugeot, let's trap the single most frequently serviced item in an engine!

The badge on the C pillar says 1.3 doesn't it? Or am I misreading it? Nice car for good money.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

the badge, put there by a previous owner, says 1.9.

From what I can tell, it's a 1.6. Everything appears 1.6, engine number on the paperwork and the auto trans is the right type for the 1.6. It looks very typically like the 1.6, from the other photos I can find on the interwebs.

Any advice on replacing the oil filter on the 1.6 with aircon?

Yeah I can see the 1.9 now, the photo wasn't too clear.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

I always spin off the oil filter from above, insinuating my hand through the chaos,
    skinning knuckles etc, ditto putting the new one on.
    the trickiest bit is getting whatever implement you've got to loosen the filter on to it.
    before you start make sure you've got the right tool, or substitute, for the sump plug.
    yes, the passenger door is part of the central locking, but this facility on 205s is
    very much optional, depending on atmospherics, lunar phases and cosmic confusion.
    TrinityJayOne and EvilElmo like this.

My si has or had nearly all the same probs as yours.
    My windscreen washers didn't work because the switch on the stalk needed cleaning, used crc 226.
    I've yet to fix my seats base, the a/c, the central locking, (both doors), the heater the dents and the cracked/faded paint...
    And I'm gonna lose some serious skin getting that filter off...

*All the electrical problems I've fixed so far have been caused by dirty contacts/plugs/connectors.
    I don't think anything has been actually broken so far, just very dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by s_ikari2015 View Post
    Well done Peugeot, let's trap the single most frequently serviced item in an engine!
    I'm still puzzling over the seemingly random use of those star fastener thingos!

Yeah I'm also stupified by the quarter use of philips head screws, the quarter use of torx star screws, the quarter of square socket bolts and then a quarter of anything else Peugeot could find at the hardware store that day.
    EvilElmo likes this.
    1992 Peugeot 205 Auto (SI)
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

But when you jump in and go for a spin none of that seem to matter at all!

Does yours have a "visible to everyone but me" "Race Me" sticker in the back window? mine seems to...
    lozenge likes this.

Nah I haven't been raced, which explains why I've been beating others off the line

... not that I would be encouraging street racing, that's bad. I just enjoy accelerating as quickly as I can in a safe manner in order to get to the posted speed limit efficiently.
    CEyssens likes this.
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

Alright, so I've done the service on my 205 SI. I have changed the following

Air Filter
    Oil Filter (Ryco Z543 by the way) - I removed a water pipe and shifted some wiring to get to it, but from the top as people said thanks!
    Oil
    Spark Plugs
    Spark Leads

It's running nicely now, even though the engine management (K) light comes on occasionally. My guess is the little bit of smoke it rarely has and the O2 sensor is reporting bad mixture. Might bother to get it checked out, but then again it's a shopping trolley/work commuter.

I've got a heater core coming from Latvia, and once I have the workshop manual I will remove the blower fan and diagnose that. I will also trace the wiring and find out why the aircon compressor isn't engaging.

NOW what I'm hoping to get help with is trying to find a "top" radiator hose, the one that comes off the thermostat housing. My car has the auto transmission heat exchanger and it is a weird, whacky hose. Unfortunately, it's soft and bulgy (like a moose) at the thermostat end and I want to change it sooner rather than later.

Can anybody provide a part number or some idea of where I could find one? evilBay hasn't been helpful as all listings are very vague and I'd rather get something from Australia (preferably South Australia) which can be easily exchanged if needs be.

Thanks again!.
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

Oh, this is the hose by the way...
    Peugeot 205 Auto Water Gearbox Cooling Hose | eBay

But I'm not paying $120 for a USED hose from the UK.
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

Default My First Pug

I'm going though a similar process, basically all of my water and oil breather hoses are toast.
    My top radiator hose had been replaced with a straight through hose and the cooler disconnected so I've decided to remove the cooler and have purchased a new straight through hose. I'm going to buy some actual new parts and piece the rest together with new similar parts from other cars and some straight flex for some of the smaller lines.

Now in saying that you can buy the BakerBM hoses and the kits cover every hose including that funky top hose for the cooler. But I've decided that however good the silicon hoses are I can't justify that much coin especially as I've got a lot of other things to fix. I figure I can get a top quality job done my way and it will fit up very well and save me heaps of cash.

That top hose With out the cooler lines I paid $32 for and you could use an equivalent I think someone mentioned here a JB Camira hose fits.
    These hoses are one of the biggest issues with these cars.

If my plan works out I'll put up a list of equivalent hoses that fit well.

That's the way to go. If you want to keep the cooling setup, I would have that branching piece made out of aluminium or brass and use just plain old straight hoses (or just with one bend at the end that attaches to the g'box or whatever they attach to). It may cost a bit to get that done, but long term you're going to be miles ahead when working on your cooling system (or anything that requires disconnecting hoses) is going to be straightforward instead of a massive headache.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

yeah I've been thinking about just using a straight hose to replace it. I'll most likely disconnect the auto heat exchanger for now, but look at plumbing it back into another circuit, won't be hard to add a brass T piece somewhere in the heater hoses. Would also act as a heater bypass I suppose. Just add more heater hoses, PLENTY of room in there. ROFLMAO
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

Today was an interesting day. So went for a drive through the hills in the 205, and cruising at 100kph the engine suddenly stops responding to the accelerator, it's died. The STOP light came on and I put it into neutral to coast to a safe spot. Then it wouldn't start again, just display the STOP light and crank but nothing.

Hmm, not good and very random. Get the phone out, low coverage. Great. So holding the phone at various angles I eventually manage to get a google search away and get a result from this forum. Something along the lines of "tachymetric" controller.

So, I removed and inspected every relay under the bonnet I could find, and the ones in the main fuse box in the glovebox. One connected on one of the relays under the bonnet was a bit dirty, scratched it clean with the key, then plugged everything back in.

Walah, car started. Got the car home and did another proper clean of all the relays with some electrical contact cleaner. Hopefully it won't do it again, but now I know the most likely cause.

So, after that I decided I wanted to do something to the car and went and bought two cheap cans of spray paint, 1 black and 1 white. Now the front end looks neater and more GTI like. Black bumper, white grille. Oh, and a couple of obligatory dash photos to show how everything is still in one piece albeit not necessarily working.

My First Pug-img_20160214_171138.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My First Pug-img_20160214_171047.jpg   My First Pug-img_20160214_171129.jpg  
    1983 Subaru Sherpa
    2002 Holden CV8 Monaro

good fix . saved yourself a tow
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

Thread Information