Newbie, with some 205 GTi series questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default Newbie, with some 205 GTi series questions

Hey Guys.. I'm new around here and wanted a little help with some info on 205 GTi's.. I'm keen on getting one but wasn't too sure about when the local series years swapped over.. I know most of you would have already posted this somewhere but i cant find much..

So basically what year were series 1's and 2's and 3's out and what power and torque outputs did each series have. I found some conflicting information on the web, and most of that applied to Uk cars..

Advertisement

Any help is much appreciated.. D

Quote Originally Posted by Delan
    Hey Guys.. I'm new around here and wanted a little help with some info on 205 GTi's.. I'm keen on getting one but wasn't too sure about when the local series years swapped over.. I know most of you would have already posted this somewhere but i cant find much..

So basically what year were series 1's and 2's and 3's out and what power and torque outputs did each series have. I found some conflicting information on the web, and most of that applied to Uk cars..

Any help is much appreciated.. D
    Australia specific (all 1.9L):

Series 1: MANUFACTURE DATE 1987; 75kW, 142Nm (XU9J1/Z, 'DFZ' tagged)
    Series 2: MANUFACTURE DATE 1988 - 1990; 75kW, 142Nm (as above)
    Series 3: MANUFACTURE DATE 1991 - 1994; 90kW, 150Nm (XU9JA/Z, 'DKZ' tagged)
    Last edited by 205 GTI16; 30th March 2004 at 12:55 PM.

Even the Series 1 engine feels really strong, acceleration in any gear is great and it doesn't acknowledge hills.

Only reason i'd be after the later series cars would be the longer first gear. I suppose an s3 would be nice for that extra bit of power, but its nothing that can't be achieved with a new cam and ecu, which would end up being cheaper than the extra $$$ for the s3 anyway.

That and i like the series one interior a bit better. :p

Thanks heaps.. all I needed to know..

In my opinion, each 205 GTI series gearbox suits each series motor very well.

I changed my 205 GTI's original Series 3 (long) gearbox to a Series 1 (short) gearbox purely for the Mi16s benefit - damn those extra 8 valves go like a shower of sh1t with those short ratios...

Series 1 interior is very boxy (screams 80s) compared with Series 2 onwards.

Yeah, the S1 interior is boxy, but it's a lot easier to replace all the panels and have a nice modern interior as a result. You can make the slider rheostats look funky with a little bit of work. I just imagined it would be a little more difficult to fit a nice dash around the s2/3 placements, so i went for the s1.

I really had to take the whole dash out, everything squeaked and rattled and snapped. It's a horrible set of materials they used, far too brittle. It all had to come out.

ATM im planning on bending some plywood to form a very slick dashboard (its like a slice that twists along the length of the dash, from horizontal at the passenger side to vertical at the drivers side). It should look "mad" when finished in tasteful colour/material, like stitched (red stitching!) dark grey alcantara. There's nothing so hideous as a "loud" interior (that goes for most ricers which feature white/blue vinyl on the inside...), but a squeaking, breaking, rattly one isn't much fun either.

Luckily the 205 dash is cavernous behind, so it leaves a lot of room for ingenuity without having to work around many lumps. Oh, and i really must do something about the glovebox constantly falling open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    Oh, and i really must do something about the glovebox constantly falling open.
    Congratulations, you own one very rare 205! It actually has a glovebox!

I'll hopefully be doing a fibreglass dash eventually, complete with my own custom pre-amp and volume control to suit an IPod. Mmmm

-- DJ

Hey DJ can u do a carbon fibre bonnet please?

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Hey DJ can u do a carbon fibre bonnet please?
    A CF bonnet is something that I've certainly been interested in for some time.
    I'll do some research onto it.

I'm also after a good condition 205 SI bonnet that I can make mould from, if you know of anyone in mel that wants to get rid of one

-- DJ

I'll pull the one off the Si at my house 2nite... swing by and pick it up at about 7. I need it back by the next morning though so it can go back on the car!

I'll pull the one off the Si at my house 2nite... swing by and pick it up at about 7. I need it back by the next morning though so it can go back on the car!
    Arrr, was that a joke? I'll need a little more warning first

Besides, I don't even know where you live

-- DJ

Dude i wish i could put it together but it's my old man's car and if he woke up Sunday morning to find the bucket without a bonnet he'd hit the roof!

We could replace the bonnet with yours however................

i'm kidding

Dude i wish i could put it together but it's my old man's car and if he woke up Sunday morning to find the bucket without a bonnet he'd hit the roof!

We could replace the bonnet with yours however................

i'm kidding

I figured, just wanted to be on the safe side incase

But seriously, if anyone does know where I could find an SI bonnet...

-- DJ

I just went down to the workshop and here's what I whipped up

-- DJ

is that a digital image of what u plan to do? are u using CF or fibreglass.. looks pretty sweet

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    is that a digital image of what u plan to do? are u using CF or fibreglass.. looks pretty sweet
    That's how it would look in CF.
    Fibreglass would certainly be the easiest, as we have all of the tools and materials needed. I really have no idea how to do CF, whether it's vaccuum moulded or done in a similar fashion to fibreglass.

Either way, once I've got a good mould happening I'll be able to produce the bonnets for the public

-- DJ
    Last edited by DJ-Studd; 31st March 2004 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16
    In my opinion, each 205 GTI series gearbox suits each series motor very well.

I changed my 205 GTI's original Series 3 (long) gearbox to a Series 1 (short) gearbox purely for the Mi16s benefit - damn those extra 8 valves go like a shower of sh1t with those short ratios...

Series 1 interior is very boxy (screams 80s) compared with Series 2 onwards.
    So are you saying you've got the S1/S2 gearbox/diff? If so, the overall gearing of that works out about the same as the std. Mi16 gearbox/diff. Have a look at this:
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/tayl...405gearing.htm

There isn't much difference. If you really want it to move, try the S3 205 ratios with the Mi16 diff.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Studd
    I really have no idea how to do CF, whether it's vaccuum moulded or done in a similar fashion to fibreglass.-- DJ
    DJ, I've got a mate that does CF bike fairings (his bro races them) - want me to ask? I'm pretty sure he doesn't use a vacuum process - it's done at home in the garage!

Stuey

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    DJ, I've got a mate that does CF bike fairings (his bro races them) - want me to ask? I'm pretty sure he doesn't use a vacuum process - it's done at home in the garage!

Stuey

Sure, if you could find out what materials he uses and where he gets them then... awesome

Cheers mate!
    -- DJ

hey guys,

the 90kws of the series 3 vs the 75 of the series 1 & 2 doesnt count for much. performance is so similar even your mum wont be able to tell the diff.

its all in the gearing, u know.

my s1 would romp over a s3 at the lights but obviously if theres enough tarmac the s3 would slowly pull away.

for pure and utter sheer driving wrecking ball pleasure ('round bendy roads) i know what i'd rather be driving - yup, a s1. gees, the gearing offers so much more pull and the non-power steering gives you that much more feedback.

talking interiors? yah, the s1 built crap. and i still need that glovebox , but i prefer the visible painted door surounds and the vertical dials - at least its not pretending to be anything but an old skool 80's performace car of the decade, errr car . unlike the s2 and s3 .

but i do think the rear light cluster of the s3 is kinda tasty... someone hook me up. the rear red reflectors kinda looking a bit naff nowadays. stick wif da original grey panel, i say.

but im not biased... not much, i tell ya, your honour.

yeah, and my 205 gtis never gonna die - slightly smokey on hard exceleration but still has original internals and is now pushing close to 300k.
    and i pound her every chance i get .

"line me up, why dont ya?!... lets go at it, riceboy!".

man, im about to cry! hehehe.
    current frogs :
    '94 s3 alpine 205GTi

daily ding magnet: '98 1.8 16v citroen xsara

previous frogs:

88 S1 205GTi
    '95 306S16

gimme corners. . .

Heheh, i have a glovebox lid, hahahah

Although i might be putting it aside in place of a newly constructed one after i decide how i'm going to design that area.

I love my s1. I just need to find the source of a rattle that disturbs my nice roar through the rev range (it comes in about 2.5k to 4k only under very light load it seems). It sounds like a round rattle, if you get my drift. I'm thinking/hoping its the exhaust but it almost sounds like the big end (which would be backed up by the load issue).

Anyway, the cars going up in the air tomorrow for an inspection of the exhaust mounts. Hopefully there will be an obvious contact patch on the chassis and my mind will be put at ease.

BTW, the acceleration in 3rd is staggering... so so satisfying. Forza S1!!

Thread Information