407 HDi v6 diesel smell.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 407 HDi v6 diesel smell.

I am enquiring if any person has had experience with a hot diesel, oil, even hot plastic / electrical smells from the engine area. Has been happening since new, nearly 7 years and seems to be getting worse. When the car is parked in the garage the smell permeates the house. Problem has been noted from 1st service all to no avail. "O" rings around injector area have been replaced, return fuel lines replaced. Dealers final comment was "it's normal, they are a very hot motor. Request to bring an identical car and park it in the garage to demonstrate cannot be done. One issue advised by the owner of an identical car who has no similar problem is that his elec. radiator fans continue running after the engine is switched off. The only time I have heard mine running were when a water pump died and coolant poured out. Switched the car off quickly then the fans did run. This was the only occasion when the temp gauge rose above normal. Could there be some connection, dealer says not. No diesel / oil leaks evident anywhere. Sorry to be a bit long winded.
    Any help appreciated,

Regards, Ross.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Ross,

Having owned the same car (in a Touring model) i can safely say that I never experienced that symptom. Even after a long run in high 30's temperatures, the car & engine never even looked like getting hot, nor were there ever any "hot smells".

As for the electric fans running after switching off the engine, this would happen after a run, but for no more than 5 seconds. I think you need another opinion from a reputable workshop to help in the diagnosis.

They are a wonderful, comfortable & economical car, with an amazing turn of performance when required.

Good Luck.
    K

1000+ Posts

They don't smell. Assuming no leaks the fuel system is sealed, as air in the system can produce trouble.

The fuel filter should be bled of trapped water periodically, and the drain tube leads to the bottom of the engine. If a container wasn't put there to catch it, some fuel will spill onto the under tray. I have seen dealers do that at service. The foil top surface should be clean.

Tadpole

Thanks Kimdeb and seasink,

My Puggy is also a Touring, great car on the open road, a different matter around town where I live with about 50 roundabouts, engine and transmission fail to talk to one another at times. Thats another story but "normal'. I could never believe that it is a hot car and that peugeot would produce a car with this smell. Will continue with the dealer and also try to find someone with more experience with this model.

Regards,

Ross.

Thread Information