508GT Tyre Recommendations? Buying 4 cheapies vs 2 primos?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 508GT Tyre Recommendations? Buying 4 cheapies vs 2 primos?

Default 508GT Tyre Recommendations? Buying 4 cheapies vs 2 primos?

Hi

I have a 2013 508GT which sports the 235/40R19 tyres. So far, the car has been great!

I'm expecting that I'll need to replace at least 2 new tyres in next few thousand km and thought I'd seek some guidance in advance.

The original Continental ContiSport Contact 3 can cost up to $600/tyre (). At the other end of the scale, you can buy Mayrun MR500 for $180/tyre.

So I'm wanting to weigh up putting 4 new chinese tyres vs 2 new european tyres.

I've read recently that current logic with front-wheel drive cars is that you should put the new tyres on the rear - which kind of goes against my inclinations.

I'm guessing that the better quality tyres should have better longevity but I don't expect they would have more 2x the lifespan of the cheaper tyre.

I've also heard of peoples comments on the relative road noise of various tyres. Though I'm thinking if the cabin sound proofing can capably block the sound of the diesel engine, is tyre noise really going to be a consideration?

Advertisement

Finally, performance/stopping power. Is there really much in it these days?

Keen for your thoughts on going with 4 cheapies vs 2 primos.

Many thanks
    adbell

I have cheapie road tyres on my SUV, but not Mayrun or schisenflower or anything that crap....Kumho.

They are not as good as the primo Bridgestone suv tyres but they not that bad either.
    Get the best tyres you can afford, and idealy get 4 of them.
    Jo

1000+ Posts

Where are you? Buy New 2354019 [235/40R19] Tyres | Tempe Tyres

A dozen choices under $600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c9Ry0JfMw

Doing a bit more reading up, I gather there remains a big difference in performance. The above demonstrates it with some dramatic background music.

TOYO PROXES T1 SPORT at $340/each seem to be midway compromise.

1000+ Posts

You can knock off another $100 by looking around.

If you go to a UK tyre website and they have the same tyre that you are looking at, they have a standardised performance rating system (presumably an EU requirement). They rate wear, wet road handling and noise - something that should be mandatory for tyres sold in Australia. A better base on which to make comparisons.
    Pee Dubs likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Thanks Seasink - I'm in Brisbane and was going off the prices from tyresales.com.au. Looks like Tempe has them at more competitive price.

Can anyone explain the difference between speed rating of Y vs W?

1000+ Posts

Y is for real speed demons - up to 300 kph. W is for grandma, at a max of 270 kph.

Thanks - Well, not expecting to exceed 270 any time soon, but I guess Y is better than W, so the TOYO 235/40R19 96Y Proxes T1 Sport at $240 each from your website are looking like pretty good value.

1000+ Posts

You can use that site for negotiation, as they will dispatch tyres to Qld. They are a huge dealer.

If you do buy unfitted tyres from somewhere you may have to look about to get a local fitter to put them on - say $30 upwards per tyre. They otherwise miss out on their tyre markup.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

I was very happy with the Achilles tyres on my 206GTi. Perhaps slightly more road noise than others, but as I never drove the car with anything else, I can't be sure. Roadholding was excellent. Wear seemed fine - bought the car and put 8,000km on it in the year i owned it, tyres still look much like new.

Doesn't look like Achilles do a tyre to suit you, unless you went to a 245/35 profile for $135 each fitted and balanced
    Roland and gt508 like this.

On both this forum, a Toyota forum and a few VW forums, the Michelin PS3's rate as a great all rounder.

Do they come in the size you need???

MY13 Kluger KX-S AWD / MY16 Polo GTI
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

Legend has it that in the olden days, to built a new car, the French would put 4 Michelins on the ground and built up a car around it.

Of the ones that I have used, they have given double the longevity, usually at the expense of dry grip and/or wet grip, but not noise, lightness or handling.

As you may have found already, this is probably the best collection of reviews for yours :

Toyo Proxes T1 Sport | the Toyo Proxes T1 Sport reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

1000+ Posts

I think that it is always a bad idea to save money by fitting rubbish tyres. Reason? Poor wet grip especially under braking. The value of some premium tyres over rubbish penny dreadfuls is not proportionately longer life in relation to price difference but potentially life saving increases in grip & responsiveness, especially in the wet & especially under braking. The compounding that helps produce this is usually not conducive to long life. So be it, I say. They are also more satisfying for a fastish fang.

The Proxes T1 is not a bad tyre but well outclassed for wet grip by other tyres available.

Cost difference compared to the T1 seems to be about $100 a tyre. I scanned Bob Jane & Jax web sites (the latter is useful for listing notional prices). My own performance-orientated short list (ignoring long-life, comfort, noise, fuel economy and the like) from what's available according to these sites is:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Pirelli P Zero
    Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2
    Continental SportContact 5

The first two have promotion deals currently on offer - but only for 4 tyres.

If fitting 2 tyres only, I'd go for the Conti SC5. Reason? Most similar structure to the SC3 & thus least chance of introducing handling oddities. Two reasons for putting the new ones on the back are: more stable handling balance if one enters a corner too fast & lifts off when the front begins an understeer slide; &: having the older tyres on the front of a FWD car means that they'll wear out faster & you'll more quickly get to the point of having a matched set of 4 tyres. (Perhaps rotation of tyres would then be a good idea.)

The Tyre Reviews site in the UK is a very good one.

Tyre tests at tyrereviews - TyreReviews

Apart from just browsing tests, you could go to the top right of the page & click Reviews - by brand. This gives you a menu of tyre types. Click on Michelin's Pilot SS, for example, & you get two offerings: a list of clickable magazine tyre tests featuring the PSS & a bunch of owner reviews. I tend to ignore the latter & especially ignore the statistically meaningless overall summation scores of them. The magazine test links are good value though.

When reading the tests, I'd ignore the overall rankings & look at scores & comments on disciplines of particular interest to you. Look especially at comparative scores on these disciplines of other tyres on your short-list if they're included in the same test as (on our current assumption) the PSS. Test protocols vary from magazine to magazine & comparative rankings can vary even within one discipline like, say, wet braking. But spend an hour or two browsing & you'll soon get a feel for what tyres are doing best on things that are important to you.

cheers! Peter
    jo proffi and Whippet like this.

Fellow Frogger!

I'd avoid the cheapo Chinese tyres like the plague. You get what you pay for.

A year or so back I binned the Toyo Teo Plus tyres I had on my GTi6 and fitted Eagle F1 Directional 5s. The Toyos weren't even cheap Chinese rubbish, just 'eco' tyres. The difference was like night & day...although I must admit I sometimes miss the older tyres' propensity for a bit of easy sideways action

Be wary of any upsell tactics like 'free' puncture repairs/replacement. They usually come with the proviso that you come in for 'safety inspections' at regular intervals, which you pay for. If something happens and you missed one of the checkups, oops looks like your warranty is void.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityJayOne View Post
    I'd avoid the cheapo Chinese tyres like the plague. You get what you pay for.

A year or so back I binned the Toyo Teo Plus tyres I had on my GTi6 and fitted Eagle F1 Directional 5s. The Toyos weren't even cheap Chinese rubbish, just 'eco' tyres. The difference was like night & day...although I must admit I sometimes miss the older tyres' propensity for a bit of easy sideways action

Be wary of any upsell tactics like 'free' puncture repairs/replacement. They usually come with the proviso that you come in for 'safety inspections' at regular intervals, which you pay for. If something happens and you missed one of the checkups, oops looks like your warranty is void.
    Regrettably, low rolling resistance & wet grip remain largely conflicting compounding demands. For instance, Continental's PremiumContact5 & EcoContact5 have near-as-dammit the same structure & similarly conceptualized tread pattern elements but the PC5 compounds for wet braking & the EC5 for LRR.

One's best ecotype hope is a tyre that does most of its eco work via a light-weight friction-minimising structure & prioritises wet grip in compounding. A tyre I've written of before, Hankook's EX, is a promising example (although I've yet to see a test as it's not a European range type & I have no experience of it). Another Hanhook eco Kinergy tyre, the K 425, does remarkably well in the below linked test (note the abysmal Toyo NanoEnergy 2 & the mediocre Yoko Blue Earth AE01). So, not all "eco" labeled tyres are hopeless in the wet; much depends on the causal pathway to LRR.

2015 Market Overview Braking Test - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 12th February 2016 at 02:48 AM.
    TrinityJayOne likes this.

GT radials... great performance and price.. may not be as long lived as others but you will love them... see if you can find a distributor and get a quote. I have seen them for sale on the sunshine coast
    GT Radial Champiro HPY

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw View Post
    GT radials... great performance and price.. may not be as long lived as others but you will love them... see if you can find a distributor and get a quote. I have seen them for sale on the sunshine coast
    GT Radial Champiro HPY
    Seriously, no. As I remarked on the Proxes T1, not a bad tyre but there are better options. Peruse the following summary &/or go to the A.E. site for the full test

2015 Auto Express Tyre Test - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    If you go to a UK tyre website and they have the same tyre that you are looking at, they have a standardised performance rating system (presumably an EU requirement). They rate wear, wet road handling and noise - something that should be mandatory for tyres sold in Australia. A better base on which to make comparisons.
    Actually, that's not quite right. The new EU rating system rates rolling resistance (more economy related, not wear), wet braking & noise.

Continental Tyres Australia & New Zealand*-The new EU Tyre Label ? What does it tell you?

These ratings are but the crudest initial screening device for development of a "medium list" & a better guide is a thorough trawl through the tyre test summaries at Tyre Reviews looking for comparative ratings on parameters of importance to you. Note that there can be ranking changes across various wet performance parameters & one shouldn't assume that a tyre that has been optimised for a good EU wet braking score will do similarly well laterally. Note also that, although tyre companies do make tyres for particular markets, they give them unique names (like Michelin's XM2). But a world-wide type, say, a Pilot Sport 3, is named, compounded & structured identically wherever it's sold. The point here is that European tyre test rankings & ratings translate across to the examples of those tyre types sold here.

Adbell, when you've finally actioned your decision, it would be nice to report back on how things panned out , especially in the wet.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by adbell View Post
    Hi

.....snip....

The original Continental ContiSport Contact 3 can cost up to $600/tyre (). At the other end of the scale, you can buy Mayrun MR500 for $180/tyre.

....snip....

Many thanks
    adbell
    I just rang my local Jax Tyres - those CSC3's in that size are $439 fitted and balanced. You seriously need to find a new tyre place ! One day turn around on delivery.

Do you ever brake in the rain ? Do you ever go around corners ? I tried to save a few bucks on the latest 2 tyres I bought and put mid spec Dunlops on instead of Conti's - worst mistake ever. The Dunlops are as close to dangerous as I've ever had a tyre - the grip on 1000km old Dunlops is certainly far, far worse than bald CSC's. My wife recently had trouble doing a hill start up a local hill because the Dunlops couldn't get traction - I thought that a little strange and so took the car out myself - first round-a-bout I nearly speared off the road they were so bad in the wet. I checked the tyre pressures with 3 different tyre gauges to be sure.

If I had a car with 450Nm of torque I'd be putting the best tyres on I could afford.

Cheers

Justin
    cjl and FedGrapes like this.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post

Do you ever brake in the rain ? Do you ever go around corners ? I tried to save a few bucks on the latest 2 tyres I bought and put mid spec Dunlops on instead of Conti's - worst mistake ever. The Dunlops are as close to dangerous as I've ever had a tyre - the grip on 1000km old Dunlops is certainly far, far worse than bald CSC's. My wife recently had trouble doing a hill start up a local hill because the Dunlops couldn't get traction - I thought that a little strange and so took the car out myself - first round-a-bout I nearly speared off the road they were so bad in the wet. I checked the tyre pressures with 3 different tyre gauges to be sure.

Justin
    For those who find this puzzling, the story is as follows:

Generally speaking, the tread pattern is just there to get the rubber in contact with the road. If the road is merely slick & not (aquaplane-threatening) streaming wet, then a worn tyre that is compounded to interlock with the micro peaks & valleys of the road surface can grip better than a less worn but differently compounded tyre. It's all a matter of breaking the water film & gaining mechanical interlocking. Assuming a lack of aquaplaning, the only tread elements that assist here are sipes & block edges, not void volume.

Mind you, compounds age & change nature with time &, by the time a tyre's bald, its compound might no longer carry out this interlocking function very well.

Continental seem to currently be very good indeed at compounding & their tyres generally achieve that interlocking well. Moreover, they seem to have managed the chemistry such that the compound degradation slope over time is not steep. So, the good wet performance of the worn Continental SportContacts is not surprising.

Mind you, even if fitting two & with two SC3 already on it, I'd go for the SC5 & not the SC3 (& put the new ones on the back). It's a notably better tyre & would be a better basis for a new matched set of 4.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 12th February 2016 at 02:52 AM.

Tadpole

resurrect an old thread..

Whats the widest tyre I can get on my 508 GT? knowing 235 is spec could I stretch to 245? Has anyone done this. I have on other cars but now looking at the 508 for a new set.

Yes, my 508 GT spec was 235/40 R19.

I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in 245/40 R19 and have no complaints.

When I checked the 235/40 R19 options were limited and expensive.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40 R19 weren't cheap either but offered better value than what could be had in the original spec.
    gt508 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Where are you? Buy New 2354019 [235/40R19] Tyres | Tempe Tyres

A dozen choices under $600
    WHATCH THIS MOB! A couple of weeks ago they fitted 4 Continental tyres to my car that were 6 (Yes six) years old.

I made them refit my old tyres and left. Be warned.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

1000+ Posts

Well spotted then! Did they argue at all?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information