505 exhaust fumes
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 exhaust fumes

Whenever I drive the 505 gti wagon with the drivers window down I get exhaust fumes through the window.The exhaust is in good condition, I can only think that there is some airflow problem-maybe because of right hand drive? I'm thinking of changing the exhaust tip somehow but not sure which way to go.Has anyone else had this?

Advertisement

There will be a lack of a proper seal around the rear tailgate. The rubber seal will be broken, or else there will be a gap there somewhere....perhaps because of a rear-end accident and subsequent badly fitting tailgate.

Get someone to lie inside inside at night with a torch and run it around where the seal is. Observe from the outside where light gets through.

Putting on a short section of tailpipe facing downwards won't hurt.

Fellow Frogger!

good thought, the tailgate was replaced a couple of years ago, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    good thought, the tailgate was replaced a couple of years ago, thanks
    I had issues in my fuego...The 45 degree exhaust tip helped.
    One little thing worth noting, if you go for a downward exhaust tip, and spend any amount of time idling on lawn, the lawn will die where the exhaust is directed onto it.

If the tailgate rubber is not sealing, and sucking exhaust gases, it will be sucking dust and grit too, so if you don't clean the car for a while, and don't touch the rubber with prying fingers, close visual examination should show where the dust and exhaust are entering.
    If you went for a blast down a dirt road, of course this would help the diagnosis and be a bit of fun to boot.

Jo

If your tailgate is sealing ok, there is another possibility I just thought of. There are plastic or rubber plugs in various places in the body. One of these in the rear end may have come out and any exhaust fumes will make their way in there. It dosn't take much of a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I had issues in my fuego...The 45 degree exhaust tip helped.
    One little thing worth noting, if you go for a downward exhaust tip, and spend any amount of time idling on lawn, the lawn will die where the exhaust is directed onto it.

If the tailgate rubber is not sealing, and sucking exhaust gases, it will be sucking dust and grit too, so if you don't clean the car for a while, and don't touch the rubber with prying fingers, close visual examination should show where the dust and exhaust are entering.
    If you went for a blast down a dirt road, of course this would help the diagnosis and be a bit of fun to boot.

Jo
    Tip...if using the dirt road method, (used successfully in Holden wagons...).
    A light spray of WD40 or similar on the pre-cleaned painted surface inside of the seal and the seal surface itself. the dust will stick to the "oil" and there is the tell-tail. (dust on the outboard side does not mean much...)
    The most likely area of leakage is the corners, (and don't forget the top, (the panel fitters are lazy, (generally), and will chock the replacement tailgate up into alignment (on partially tightened hinges), to get the look right, (and then just tighten up when alignment is good.....they don't have to screw around with the latch adjustment then...)

My apologies to all competent and honest panel beaters out there.....
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 rear seal

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
    Whenever I drive the 505 gti wagon with the drivers window down I get exhaust fumes through the window.The exhaust is in good condition, I can only think that there is some airflow problem-maybe because of right hand drive? I'm thinking of changing the exhaust tip somehow but not sure which way to go.Has anyone else had this?

Datsun 240z is notorious for this as well. Making slow progress on mine.

Sometimes it is hatch seal, which is hard to get right on many cars ( 240z and otherwise ), but even if this OK most cars have a few other holes in the bum which quietly let stuff in when airflow changes

Needs attention to every potential hole at the back

Good luck

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    My apologies to all competent and honest panel beaters out there.....
    He will cope and know you are not talking about him.

Jo

VIP Sponsor

504 sedans had this problem, only way to fix it was to extend the tail pipe.

Fellow Frogger!

he sais fumes are getting in through the driver's window...

1000+ Posts

When you open the window it actually sucks air out of the car, dropping the cabin pressure. Some air will be replaced from the front cabin air intake, but air can also be sucked from the rear of the car, past the driver, and out the window.

A long time ago we had a Subaru wagon; if you opened the front windows there was a strong petrol smell, but with windows closed and cabin fan on there was no smell. Eventually located a small leak in a return line behind the boot trim - fumes were being sucked forward by the vacuum created by an open window.

Cheers

Alec

An open front window has a venturi effect....

The old quarter windows in Holdens could be turned far enough to divert net air into the cabin....(so dispersing the fuel fumes from the leaking sender unit in my HR.....'gentlemen'! I would exclaim... 'this conveyance is a smoke free environment....or a BBQ, take your pick').
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the input! I had a good look at the door seal, and it was in fairly poor condition along the bottom, lots of tears and holes.As a temp fix I sealed all the rips with silicone, didn't know what to do about the holes, found some 6mm poly tube which fits nicely into the hollow rubber and sealed with more silicone.Has made a huge improvement already- still need to get a tailpipe extension and if it all works another gate seal.

I became aware some years ago that door seals are a roadworthy item.

Thread Information