door locking problem
  • Register
  • Help

door locking problem

Ok guys ive been posting many questions here, so i hope im not pushing my luck..

my rear drivers door on my 405 is giving me problems.

it had new central locking put in and then i found that the door wouldn't open, since i moved about 2,000k's away from the place that did it before i noticed it.

Today i managed to take the door skin off, and get it unlocked.

I found 2 rods, 1 goes to the locking bit, and the other seems to be for the inner door handle..

Advertisement

I couldn't make the dam thing work at all, seems that the the locking rod is jammed somewere up the top right.

I pulled the actuator a bit, and managed to unscrew 3 bolts on the exterior of the door, but i couldn't get the locking bit free, as i couldn't see up that end, i think there must be another pully for the rods up that end..

Now im worried if i do get that locking bit free, can i put it back in, im guessing if i disconnect the rods up that end near the lock then i wont be able to put them back in. thus leaving the car unlocking and unopening, again.

So anything you guys can recomend?

The manual I have on pdf didn't really cover this.

thanks guys

Nathan

Fellow Frogger!
    Nathan - I'm no expert, but I did have a problem with the same door in my 405 about a yr. ago. My central locking would not pull the locking button down far enough to lock it. After much investigation and dismantling I could not find the problem, or as you know, even see the area properly. In desperation I squirted copious quantities of WD40 into the lock area and - it worked again! The problem has just started to occur intermittently again so I am about to give it the treatment again. Worth a try?
    Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    I replaced a rear door locking actuator on my Mi16 S1, quite a while ago now. It's no trouble to remove or replace. From memory, grab the unit and give it a twist, it's just sort of clipped in place. Once you've twisted it, it just comes out. I bought a good second hand unit and everything worked again. I don't know if this answers your question, ask more if you want.

I had some trouble getting the locking button back on properly, the way it works is sort of weird, and it's easy to put on the wrong way and then very difficult to remove again to put it on right. If you put it on wrong, the button will be in the "down" position when it is up, and the central locking will try to pull it down further when the door locks. Obviously it won't go down, it just loads everything up, this is probably why mine failed. The Haynes manual tells you how to do this properly. I thought it was obvious but I wasted ages trying to do it right.

John
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

You don't need to disconnect the rods to the locking bit. The connection is just the bent end of the rod poking through a hole in a bit of plastic. When you twist it like I said, the plastic bit moves away from the rod and it's free.

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

OK round 2.. it wouldn't come out, seems attached the the outside door handle bit, took the rods out and all that, but wont go.

I took the little plastic clips that hold the rod in place and moved them to the other points were it looks like they could fit, wd's everything, and it seems to unlock and lock using the button..

the central locking actuator still does not un/lock but moves, so i disconnected it. which is a pain in the arse as i paid about 250 for someone to fix this door and put a new c/l kit in it, dam pricks.. dont live near them anymore..

put it all back 2gether and seems ok now i guess..

how ever i cant for the life of me work out how to put the dam buttons back on, me dad took them all off when i was away for some reason, so i dont know how to put them back...?

any one know how to..

cheers
    Nathan

OK, I'll try to remember how to do it...

You know how the button has a little plastic clamp that has two positions, you poke a paperclip or something through a hole to push the tab back so you can move it one way or the other. I think you should have this clamp in the lower position. Lock the door, so the rod is down. I think this is right. Then, push the botton on... first the rod moves firmly into the clamp, then the clamp moves into the upper position. I think this is right. If it isn't, you might need to have a look at a Haynes manual. Funny, this should be dead easy, but it's really hard to figure out how to do it!

Let us know how you go.

John
    John W

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

Thread Information