Electric Brakes 4007
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Electric Brakes 4007

Hi all. I've just purchased a 2nd hand 4007 to tow our 14ft caravan.
    I had intended to fit an electric brake control but I'm now a little confused.
    Had to replace the 7 pin socket as it was cracked and pins not lining up. I noticed all the pins in the socket were occupied, ie the pin for the trailer brakes. If there's no electric brake control in the car why is there a wire connected to the pin and what happens if I disconnect it.

I'm assuming fitting a brake control won't upset the computer too much as I will be connecting the sensing wire to the brake light wire at the trailer socket, and supply directly to the battery so the ECU shouldn't see/detect it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I'd like to resolve the issue so i can tow with it.

Advertisement

Ken

Tadpole

Ken

I fitted an after market brake controller (Redarc Tow Pro) to my 4007. I just followed the instructions that came with the unit, making sure to connect the sensing wire to the tail light. My car also had a blue wire already connected to the trailer socket. When I went to run the wires I discovered that someone had removed a previously fitted brake controller prior to me purchasing the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
    TJ

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

Also had a Redarc brake controller fitted to our 4007. The fitting was done by an auto-electrician, who wired an Anderson plug via a voltage sensitive relay at the same time.
    We tow a 16ft+ pop-top, which is about 1.6 tonne loaded & the 4007 does it easily. We have the auto transmission (DSG) & find that selecting Sports mode for the transmission & using the steering paddles when in traffic, climbing hills etc is the most efficient.

Cheers,
    K

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB View Post
    Hi,

Also had a Redarc brake controller fitted to our 4007. The fitting was done by an auto-electrician, who wired an Anderson plug via a voltage sensitive relay at the same time.
    We tow a 16ft+ pop-top, which is about 1.6 tonne loaded & the 4007 does it easily. We have the auto transmission (DSG) & find that selecting Sports mode for the transmission & using the steering paddles when in traffic, climbing hills etc is the most efficient.

Cheers,
    K
    Thanks guys. Our's is a manual, I'm a bit anal about gearboxes, manuals just seem to give better control. I'm pretty convinced it will be able to pull the caravan.
    As to the brakes, your info is good to know as I had read things about the ECU having a wobbly and needing a reboot.
    I have some experience electronics so wiring a brake controller shouldn't be a problem, the hardest part will be running cables. I was confused by the socket pins all being occupied.

Thanks again.

Thread Information