Peugeot 504 two liter head
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 504 two liter head

Hi fellas

I have a neighbour who fitted a two liter 504 on his 1600 404 motor. The head has the original Solex double barrel carb and to my surprise this car has even more torque than my 1800(XM7) 404. What would you attribute this power increase to? Is it the double barrel carb or the wider inlet manifold? Is it the valves on the head? My understanding is that Peugeot 404/504 cylinder head valves are all the same size, I stand to be corrected. Another point of interest is that I've always heard stories about how horrible the Double Barrel Solex is hence most South African 504s use the Weber Carb instead. Surprisingly my neighbour has owned this car for years without any carb issues

Advertisement

Cheers

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

1800 and 2 litre valves are the same size. The torque can be attributed to enthusiasm I suppose.

Tadpole

I have a 2.0 504 that I bought with an 1.8 head fitted. Runs sweetly without any mods apparent to me. Both my vehicles have Solex 34 PBICA carbs fitted. The 1.8 is a SAMCOR built GR that is stock standard. I have no idea what carb came original on my 77 GL, but the current head appears to come from a GR complete with Solex carb.
    Mark

1977 504 GL
    1985 504 GR

Thread Information