Adding a PDf to a thread?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Adding a PDf to a thread?

Default Adding a PDf to a thread?

Is it possible to add a PDF to a thread?

If so, can anyone tell me how please?

Advertisement

Go Advanced

Manage attachments

Navigate to the pdf on you PC

Then it's the same procedure as attaching an image, or any file with an allowed extension for that matter. File size limit is enforced just a with *. jpg.

So if it's a couple of meg, you need to host it externally and paste in the link to the external site. As per a URL Link.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I "stole" this from another forum:

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    Last edited by robmac; 23rd January 2016 at 07:22 PM.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

1000+ Posts

Another way, which I have done here so often I've made it a right click mouse menu, is to first print a pdf page as a postscript file. Postscript is a common printing system, my HP uses it. Then immediately pipe or copy the print file into a converter program to output jpg. There are many of these available for all systems. I use Imagemagick.

The pdf internal format is closely related to the postscript vector language, so that conversion step is easy. The jpg format will usually then compress a large page image into AF's size limits.

Sounds technical, but it is straightforward if you have a postscript driver.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a crack.

For us non geeks it is simpler to do a screen snap of the document, save to pictures and then load as a picture.

Depends how many pages you want to load to I suppose.

Works for me.

Very poor resolution in some cases.

The SS method is very elegant.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

1000+ Posts

There are also online pdf to jpg converters of variable quality. No harm in trying one, you usually get back an image in your browser to save.

Even Google Drive can do it if you are happy to use your browser to look at source.

Macs can do it directly, select export, with little control on quality, but it may be ok.

My method above perfectly reproduces the original, except for jpg compression loss.

Thread Information