308 panoramic sunroof- does it get hot?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: 308 panoramic sunroof- does it get hot?

Tadpole

Icon5 308 panoramic sunroof- does it get hot?

Hello, I am considering buying a 308 but was worried about how much extra heat the sunroof let's in during summer. Does anyone have the sunroof and how do they like it? Does it really heat up the interior more than a car without one. How useful is the mesh cover? Does the aircon make up for it?

I am considering asking the dealer to leave it out in the sun for an hour and then take it for a test drive.

Cheers

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Probably best to call it a Moonroof as here in Qld we keep our blind closed in day time because of the heat of the sun. However those who like to be sun struck like convertible owners may disagree. Yes it does heat up but no hotter than our dark blue German taxi. Ours is a 2011 model wagon. I am sure it would be good as a solar panel.

1000+ Posts

Make sure you have glass insurance cover. Fixing one is expensive
    DanielBendigo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Make sure you have glass insurance cover. Fixing one is expensive
    I understand most of the French cars post-2000 have athermic windscreens and roof glazing.

A google / bing search brings up a lot of chatter: GPS under athermic glass - Peugeot Forums

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, I didn't think about the glass insurance.

My daughter has a 308, diesel wagon and her kids love driving at night and seeing the stars or watching the raindrops when it's raining! She says the aircon does the job and her car is fine after being in the sun. She garages it at home and many shopping centres have undercover parking so she uses them. It's been a very reliable car, I make sure she gets it serviced by a Peugeot dealer and use quality fuel....

Choose a hot day and move the car in the sun. Keep the aircon on for atleast 30 minutes and feel the surface temp of the windows, roof interior. You will find that the roof is the hottest part. If you do not trust the back of your hand use a digital surface thermometer. My bet is that the sunroof is one of the main culprits for the car getting hot. The initial euphoria I had about the sun roof has died. If I have to buy another I would buy one without a sunroof (it is cheaper as well!). And guess what the summers are only going to get hotter!

UFO

We leased a C4 Exclusive in France in 2012 to go over to ICCCR in England and then back through Europe. Total 7 weeks of the car and way too many km. This car had the glass roof with blind. Even in England and France on sunny days we found it very warm if left parked in the sun - more so than a metal roofed car. The furthest south we went in France was Lyon.

I was most disappointed when, after having leased and enjoyed a steel roofed C4 Picasso for our 2014 trip, that when Sime-Darby decided to order the C4 Picasso for Australia, every example has a glass roof. Struck it off my list of possible new cars.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Just think that if hail damaged the glass can be replaced whereas a steel one is usually a write off. Even the Koreans are putting these on their top models to look European, so just buy the cheap models.

Thread Information