Peugeot 504 chassis number and production date
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 504 chassis number and production date

Is there a way to officially link the vehicle chassis number and production date? We are trying to register a 504 and the authorities want definitive proof of the production date. The chassis number is 504A122773908 and the date of first registration in Greece is shown as January 25, 1978, so I am assuming it is a 1977 production. Any help with this will be appreciated, we seem to have hit a wall. They want "definitive proof of the production date for this vehicle".

Advertisement

Send an email to l'Aventure Peugeot in France and ask for a "Attestation de Date Pour Véhicule de Collection. They may charge you a fee or ask you to join their association for 22 Euros (in which case these services are included in membership fees). The Attestation will indicate the date the car left the factory.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Is the build date not stamped on an aluminium plate toward the rear of the engine bay (near the hydraulic fluid reservoir)?
    1975 Peugeot 504 GL | 2018 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_95 View Post
    Is the build date not stamped on an aluminium plate toward the rear of the engine bay (near the hydraulic fluid reservoir)?
    I am not sure which plate you are talking about, Tom (a photo would help ). But the aluminum plate next to the strut tower contains only the chassis number and weights.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    Send an email to l'Aventure Peugeot in France and ask for a "Attestation de Date Pour Véhicule de Collection. They may charge you a fee or ask you to join their association for 22 Euros (in which case these services are included in membership fees). The Attestation will indicate the date the car left the factory.
    Thanks, Mike. Do you have a name/email address handy?

http://www.caapy.net/uploads/r1104484441.pdf

It seems the fees may have gone up! And L'Aventure Peugeot may have been superseded by this new group. Best of luck!

You could also try asking the same thing of L'Aventure Peugeot's museum website. They have an online query form.

Fellow Frogger!

http://www.caapy.net/uploads/r1104484441.pdf

It seems the fees may have gone up! And L'Aventure Peugeot may have been superseded by this new group. Best of luck!

You could also try asking the same thing of L'Aventure Peugeot's museum website. They have an online query form.
    Thanks for the quick response, Mike! The four weeks is a big issue, I must look for another way to verify the production date.

Maybe ask the French 504 club about it. Send in the VIN and also the Carrosserie Peugeot number next to it and they may be able to do that for you. I can do that for the 404C, but not the 504.

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe ask the French 504 club about it. Send in the VIN and also the Carrosserie Peugeot number next to it and they may be able to do that for you. I can do that for the 404C, but not the 504.
    Thanks, I will!

Would a Peugeot Spare Parts dealer be able to tell you? The ones here cant tell you anything without these numbers. Look for an old dealer with a grey beard.

Just a thought.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Other places to look - date stamp on the back of the clock, date cast into engine block near the starter motor. The build number ranges are in the index on the spare parts microfische. too, but it's been a long time...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Other places to look - date stamp on the back of the clock, date cast into engine block near the starter motor. The build number ranges are in the index on the spare parts microfische. too, but it's been a long time...
    Thank you, Bruce. Unfortunately, the authorities will only accept a dating certificate from L'Aventure Peugeot (or their affiliates) based on the chassis number.

Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 manufacture date

Quote Originally Posted by ThanosK View Post
    Thank you, Bruce. Unfortunately, the authorities will only accept a dating certificate from L'Aventure Peugeot (or their affiliates) based on the chassis number.
    Dear Thanos

L'Aventure are good

Suspect if you sent them the pics of the last 504 you did and requested a quick answer that they might well oblige with a quick turn around

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Dear Thanos

L'Aventure are good

Suspect if you sent them the pics of the last 504 you did and requested a quick answer that they might well oblige with a quick turn around

Andrew
    They have been completely unresponsive, Andrew. They referred me to the FFSA who responded by saying that the vehicle must be in France for them to do anything. Mike Tippett pointed me to the right organization ( http://www.caapy.net/uploads/r1104484441.pdf

You could also try asking the same thing of L'Aventure Peugeot's museum website. They have an online query form.) but I have not heard back from them yet.

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ThanosK View Post
    Is there a way to officially link the vehicle chassis number and production date? We are trying to register a 504 and the authorities want definitive proof of the production date. The chassis number is 504A122773908 and the date of first registration in Greece is shown as January 25, 1978, so I am assuming it is a 1977 production. Any help with this will be appreciated, we seem to have hit a wall. They want "definitive proof of the production date for this vehicle".

If my memory hasn't completely failed me, back in the late 1970s, I recall seeing dealer 504 microfiche (remember those) which listed VIN numbers (from and to) for each production year. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy but maybe someone may have.

con...

Here are a couple of shots of the 504 parts catalogue from the microfische. If they would be suitable for dating purposes, but are not of good enough quality, let us know and I'll investigate getting a copy from a photographic place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 504 chassis number and production date-dsc07676.jpg   Peugeot 504 chassis number and production date-dsc07677.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you Con and Simon, this is great help.

Thread Information