Accessing the Gti6 air filter
  • Register
  • Help

Default Accessing the Gti6 air filter

Driving lately in dust-storms, I wanted to have a look at how much dust was on the air filter. So I opened the bonnet, looking for the airbox wtf??? following the induction pipe downwards, it led me to this circular box underneath the car, which I presume is the filterbox. It was held by a couple of clips, and to take it off would first require removing the stone guard/protector underneath the engine, to be able to properly take the lid off the airbox.

Now I wasn't 100% sure if this was the airbox so I checked the manual, and the supposed airbox location was arrowed to an area just to the right of the inlet.

Advertisement

Before I go jacking up the car and opening this circular box, can someone please confirm that it really is the airbox? Also, if the filter does need to be replaced, is there anything I should know about a replacement filter besides just going to the dealership spare parts and getting another one?

thanks,
    Jude
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    Driving lately in dust-storms, I wanted to have a look at how much dust was on the air filter. So I opened the bonnet, looking for the airbox wtf??? following the induction pipe downwards, it led me to this circular box underneath the car, which I presume is the filterbox. It was held by a couple of clips, and to take it off would first require removing the stone guard/protector underneath the engine, to be able to properly take the lid off the airbox.

Now I wasn't 100% sure if this was the airbox so I checked the manual, and the supposed airbox location was arrowed to an area just to the right of the inlet.

Before I go jacking up the car and opening this circular box, can someone please confirm that it really is the airbox? Also, if the filter does need to be replaced, is there anything I should know about a replacement filter besides just going to the dealership spare parts and getting another one?

thanks,
    Jude
    you got it right

that is exactly where it is and yes you need to drop the front of the under engine cover down to get to it

just pick one up from a dealer and pop it in and away you go

when you drop the cover down it may be an idea to remove it totally and give it a clean and degrease while it is off as there will be all sorts of dirt and rocks in there as they collect everything

be warned they are fairly fragile as well but you should be ok
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    you got it right

that is exactly where it is and yes you need to drop the front of the under engine cover down to get to it

just pick one up from a dealer and pop it in and away you go

when you drop the cover down it may be an idea to remove it totally and give it a clean and degrease while it is off as there will be all sorts of dirt and rocks in there as they collect everything

be warned they are fairly fragile as well but you should be ok
    Thanks 'rambo!

Ok you've got me a little worried about the cover though. They're fragile in what way..like they break around the clips, or do you mean 'don't drop it onto concrete'?

Also, where is the actual inlet for the induction? I'd never looked real close till recently so always assumed that plastic part right of the bonnet latch was it..just like in the commodores etc. But it now looks like it's further down somehwere. Looks kinda restrictive with that inlet up high'ish, piping going down to the filter down low, and then back up high to the plenum chamber. Has anyone routed a pipe down low straight to the airbox, and if so, any change in performance, throttle response?

- 306 gti6

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Thanks 'rambo!

Ok you've got me a little worried about the cover though. They're fragile in what way..like they break around the clips, or do you mean 'don't drop it onto concrete'?

Also, where is the actual inlet for the induction? I'd never looked real close till recently so always assumed that plastic part right of the bonnet latch was it..just like in the commodores etc. But it now looks like it's further down somehwere. Looks kinda restrictive with that inlet up high'ish, piping going down to the filter down low, and then back up high to the plenum chamber. Has anyone routed a pipe down low straight to the airbox, and if so, any change in performance, throttle response?

the cover is basically a piece of cardboard

you should be ok so long as you don't try and bend it too far or have it weakened by the dreaded power steering oil leak

the intake is up top near the bonnet catch but as has been tested by someone on this board a while ago it has no bad effects on the intake and is actually quite free flowing for a standard system
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the cover is basically a piece of cardboard

you should be ok so long as you don't try and bend it too far or have it weakened by the dreaded power steering oil leak

the intake is up top near the bonnet catch but as has been tested by someone on this board a while ago it has no bad effects on the intake and is actually quite free flowing for a standard system
    Whaaat!? It's at the bottom where it can easily get wet etc, and it's made out of cardboard! Sigh....

Ok I did a search and saw a pic of tekkie's cold air intake..looks excellent! (Hope it's ok to use your pic here Voytek).

The red arrow points to what I originally thought was the intake, but looking closer I can't actually see the opening for the intake, so I'm assuming it's further down below. Is the intake air there really that much hotter than picking it up than a foot or so lower?

The blue arrow points to the air filter in tekkie's setup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the oem filter sits close to this, maybe slightly lower right? If one was to keep the standard setup above the air filter but have a short custom pipe coming out of the existing air filter box, that'd be picking up colder air right?

From my understanding, the existing airbox is nice and low, I just can't quite see why Peugeot has the actual intake up much higher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accessing the Gti6 air filter-intake.jpg  
    Last edited by jastanis; 29th March 2004 at 10:26 PM.

- 306 gti6

uhmm....see the funky arrows

- 306 gti6

1000+ Posts

Hi Jude - the intake is probably high to stop it sucking up fine water mist at high speed in wet conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Hi Jude - the intake is probably high to stop it sucking up fine water mist at high speed in wet conditions.
    Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks Stuey. Sometimes I need these reminders to stop me when I start getting that tinkering feeling.

I just called up for the price of a gti6 air filter....$31 !!!! Not happy jan. My previous car's cost me $8. I hope the current filter is still clean.

- 306 gti6

wish I knew what the oem filter looked like.

I bought the car with the filter fitted as per the pic. (btw no probs with the usage of the pic, as long as its used for good not evil )

The cardboard Rambo refers to I'd say is the splash guards under the car. It looks like a compressed cardboard. Fluids like brake fluid, oil and steering fluids have a tendency to break down the resin that holds it together. Remember the East German Trabi? Body panels were made from compressed cardboard. There was a folk story that went around Poland quite few years ago, that one day an owner of one found his car missing half the front guard... the goat eating it was promptly invited to a family dinner.
    Last edited by tekkie; 1st April 2004 at 04:06 PM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    wish I knew what the oem filter looked like.

I bought the car with the filter fitted as per the pic. (btw no probs with the usage of the pic, as long as its used for good not evil )

The cardboard Rambo refers to I'd say is the splash guards under the car. It looks like a compressed cardboard. Fluids like brake fluid, oil and steering fluids have a tendency to break down the resin that holds it together. Remember the East German Trabi? Body panels were made from compressed cardboard. There was a folk story that went around Poland quite few years ago, that one day an owner of one found his car missing half the front guard... the goat eating it was promptly invited to a family dinner.
    I thought that the splash guards were made from plastic. It looked like plastic when I took them off. Anyway the important thing to note is that the bottom of the OEM air filter box is made of steel plate. It is held on by three clips and is painted black. The standard filter (or the [email protected] equivalent) is a cylindrical element with rubber ends. I will post a pic of the standard filter and K&N equivalent when I get back home to Brisbane (as I am in Bowral at the moment).
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Thanks 'rambo, tekkie, lightning,

I got around to taking it off. It looked like the splash plate is plastic, but this is from memory as I hadn't read the latest posts before I took it off. I didn't even need to take the splash plate completely off, just undid the front 4 hex head bolts and these two 'turn-clip thingys' on the side and the plate dropped down enough to get access. Well as much access as possible without using an oxy torch! Then, as Lightning said, undid the 3 clips. They were freakin' hard to undo. After all that, the filter was actually pretty clean. So I just rotated it a bit as some parts were a little more soiled than others.

I bought a filter earlier just in case ($31!!!!!!) but will save it for later heheh. Yep, the filter that you described is spot on Lightning.

cheers guys,
    Jude

- 306 gti6

What you guys describe with regards to the GTi6 seems to the same in the Xsara VTS from what I can see in my car. The filter box is accessible from the bottom, with the bottom plate held on by clips, and the splash tray has to be lowered for it be accessed. The tray looks like plastic.

$31 is not really that cheap, but is cheaper than the panel filter for the VTR, which was about $50!!!!

How much would the K&N replacement filter cost?

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    What you guys describe with regards to the GTi6 seems to the same in the Xsara VTS from what I can see in my car. The filter box is accessible from the bottom, with the bottom plate held on by clips, and the splash tray has to be lowered for it be accessed. The tray looks like plastic.

$31 is not really that cheap, but is cheaper than the panel filter for the VTR, which was about $50!!!!

How much would the K&N replacement filter cost?

Troy.
    $50!!!! WTF for that price it should come with a swimsuit!

Dunno how much the K&N replacement is. Am guessing about $120-$140? I've never used the K&N's, are they much louder? I doubt they'd give much, if any tangible performance increases though. Also, is there filtering been experimentally proven to be as good or better than the oem ones? What if the filter hasn't been oiled perfectly, will it let significant dust thru? So many questions, I have no clue about.

One more question, to other gti6 owners out there. How many kms do you usually get out of your filter? I know it depends where you drive, but just ballpark figures....

- 306 gti6

$56.75 + GST. Totally ridiculous price. It was replaced as part of the 2 year/40000km service.

Dunno how much the K&N replacement is. Am guessing about $120-$140? I've never used the K&N's, are they much louder? I doubt they'd give much, if any tangible performance increases though. Also, is there filtering been experimentally proven to be as good or better than the oem ones? What if the filter hasn't been oiled perfectly, will it let significant dust thru? So many questions, I have no clue about.
    Yes, these are questions that perhaps someone who is using or has used a K&N could be best answer. Any ideas guys?

Troy.

$56.75 + GST. Totally ridiculous price. It was replaced as part of the 2 year/40000km service.

Yes, these are questions that perhaps someone who is using or has used a K&N could be best answer. Any ideas guys?

Troy.
    I bought a replacement K&N filter element when I was in the UK for 40 quid (including VAT). Therefore they should be about 100 bucks here. Remember these filter elements are washable. I will post a picture when I get home on the weekend.

What you guys describe with regards to the GTi6 seems to the same in the Xsara VTS from what I can see in my car.
    They're identical engines, including the filter. So everything will be eactly the same, the only difference is the VTS runs multiplex, where the GTi6 is "normal".
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    They're identical engines, including the filter. So everything will be eactly the same, the only difference is the VTS runs multiplex, where the GTi6 is "normal".
    Yes I know they are the same engine, I just didn't assume that the filter would necessarily be the same. You never know with car manufacturers, changing the slightest thing whenever they feel like it.

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

One more question, to other gti6 owners out there. How many kms do you usually get out of your filter? I know it depends where you drive, but just ballpark figures....
    Mate don't complain, the air filter for my honda civic twin carb used to cost $65 and that was the cheapest I could find it!
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Yes I know they are the same engine, I just didn't assume that the filter would necessarily be the same. You never know with car manufacturers, changing the slightest thing whenever they feel like it.

Troy.
    Yeah, I know what you mean Troy. I was surprised to see just how similar everything was in the Xsara engine bay. Ahh...that engine note...droooool
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Yeah, I know what you mean Troy. I was surprised to see just how similar everything was in the Xsara engine bay. Ahh...that engine note...droooool
    Can't find a pic of the standard filter or the K&N equivalent. However here is a picture of a replacement foam filter made by Ramair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accessing the Gti6 air filter-dscf0011sml.jpg  

1000+ Posts

The K&N replacement filter (as opposed to eg. a pod) sounds the same as the stock filter. The sound comes from the filter system (pipes/box) and not the element.

K&N claim that their filter is better than a standard paper element for filtration. Even if its not, I'd assume that they're good enough in the filtration dept. as a lot of rally cars use K&N's in bad conditions (eg. Safari Rally) You just have to make sure you read the cleaning and oiling instructions properly - there's special spray solvent and oil for this purpose.
    Stuey

Thread Information