• Register
  • Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Tom_95
  • 2 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: 306 overheating and stalling

Default 306 overheating and stalling

Hi people, I recently bought a 2000 306 2.0l XSI. The car overheats when in traffic or stopped but not on the open road. However I've discovered that if I leave the air con on, the car doesn't overheat. Is this a thermostat issue? Also, lately as the weather has been warmer, the car won't idle smoothly and stalls at the lights or when I change gear. This is worse in hot weather. Very frustrating. Anyone know what could be causing this? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

While I can't speak for the poor idling, it sounds like the cooling fan may not be operating properly in accordance with the coolant temperature. By turning on the A/C, you're forcing the fan to run, which will cool the coolant in the radiator. Possibly a temperature sensor?
    2pac, Beano and colj00 like this.
    1975 Peugeot 504 GL | 2018 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo

Try and clean or replace stepper sensor . It may be a cause of stalling issues . Doesnt only 1 fan come on for the xsi for cooling ? Maybe check if both fans are working ?
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

Thanks guys, i will mention these to the mechanic. The other unusual thing is the car runs cold most of the time, usually below 70 degrees??

Yes .. xsi does naturally runs cooler than the gti 6 ..
    You can do a fan self test .. im sure you just pull the brown wire off sensor on thermostat ? Both fans should come on to see if they work
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6

I know the fan works as I can hear it running when the air con is on

Not sure if my car has one or two fans...

It will have 2 fans ..
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6

1000+ Posts

A note about these fans...

The twin-fan system is used across all Peugeots & Citroens of the era - they all work the same way, and are pretty much interchangeable.

When working properly, both fans come on together. Tom95 is correct - switching air-con on forces fans to run, irrespective of engine temp. At "normal" temps they run at low speed, then at c. 100C they should switch to full speed. Full speed is quite noisy, while low speed is very quiet. If one fan motor has failed, the other will run at full speed, even if coolant temp is < 100C.

The fact that you can hear the fan(s) suggests that only one fan is working, and is running at full speed. Strongly recommend you check this out, & if I'm right get onto it pronto. If one fan has failed, other may not be far behind, especially if you are forcing it to run (flat out) all the time!! If both fans fail, you'll really get overheating problems!!

Fan motors are fairly standard electric motors, and as such the brushes wear out. New replacement motors are really expensive , and 2nd hand ones are usually not cheap, and may not last long . Motors can be dismantled and overhauled - new brushes & bearings can be obtained and fitted. This is usually the cheapest option, but sourcing the parts can take some patience...

Cheers

Alec
    Grey_Lover and addo like this.

Thanks Armidillo, will look into getting the fans checked out and maybe getting the motors reconditioned

Hi felix,

Welcome to

Ah what would be a 306 cooling thread without someone saying only one fan runs without the aircon on

Give your mechanic this link: 306 fan operation

I think you have a classic 306 there: a dodgy fan or fan relay coupled with a coolant thermostat that is stuck open.

After fixing you may have a 306 that needs the coolant bled properly
    Last edited by SLC206; 19th January 2016 at 11:55 AM.
    JohnW likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks SLC206, much appreciated. Do you think this could be related to the stalling issue in warm weather too?

Fellow Frogger!

Felix, as above you will have 2 fans and they live in front of the radiator. You can see them by getting down on all fours and looking through the front grille. You may need a torch.

From inside the car the fans are barely audible if the engine is running, but when off or from outside the car they are easy to hear. When they kick up to high speed you'll know about it, the sound starts to resemble a taxiing 747 You shouldn't experience the high speed mode much during normal running though, at least not in my experience. It's perfectly normal for the fans to remain on for a few minutes after turning off a warm car, or if you had the A/C going.

Also, to test the fans without the engine going (barring the above cooldown procedure) the ignition needs to be turned to ON. They will not fire up at ACC, even though the A/C relay will click at this point.

As for your stalling, most likely the ICV mounted on the intake manifold. Mine has seen better days as well, and will very occasionally stall if I disengage the clutch at slow speeds, eg- approaching a speed bump. Mine is a manual though so I've just dropped the clutch the few times it's happened and away I go. I've also noticed with mine that sometimes it will panic if the A/C is on, and as I roll up at a red light it will briefly disengage the compressor as if it thinks it's going to stall and wants to remove engine load. A moment later it reengages it. I chalk it up to Frenchness
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Has the timing belt been changed recently?

Is the catalytic converter OK?

It should get up to 90 quickly. If it is only getting to 70 on the open road then thermostat is stuffed. Probably not fully opening.

I would replace that and bleed and also check fan operation as mentioned.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thanks Tony, will do. At least that's not an expensive job!

Update: I thought I could smell petrol!! I opened the bonnet and noticed petrol pissing out of one of the fuel lines!! Hoping that it's an easy fix and cures the rough idling and stalling, fingers crossed

Tadpole

There is a relatively simple mod that can be done by adding a resistor to kick the fans in earlier. Quite helpful for our summers as the tight engine bays on the two litres can overheat quite quickly if left to there own devices. Failing that unplug the brown coolant temp sensor to kick the fans in. Dont forget to bleed the system too easy enough to do. But can be quite a bit of airlock otherwise. And although the icvs get quite lazy it also pays to check the fuel pump as they loose pressure over tiime.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Thanks andrewcl, much appreciated. She's in the workshop atm, so will see what they come up with, otherwise I'll be looking at those options

Tadpole

Gents, any info available on the fan motor brushes?

I got a new fan from Dapco, but I can't remember how much it was. Not super expensive but not cheap either from memory.

I actually did a mod to mine just a few weeks ago. I hadn't seen Amdrew's post. I posted details here --> thermostat or water pump?

The funkyness I mention with the temp gauge is actually in the instrument cluster. A quick blow to the dashboard sees the gauge go back to normal if it starts to show higher than normal temps. That's also the method I use to get the tacho working again when it stops, and also to stop the oil pressure gauge from going bezerk I suspect I have an earth issue in the instrument cluster!!

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

Thread Information