• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey_Lover
  • 1 Post By ianrobbo
  • 1 Post By Matthew

Thread: 306 A/c fan

Default 306 A/c fan

After many years of trouble free motoring the GTI6 is starting to show its age in niggles and aches and pains. Problem this time is that the aircon fan in front of condensor has decided it wants to fly off. Seems to be held on my one phillips head screw in the center. Seems to tighten in the opposite direction to what you would normally expect. Can anyone tell me if it threads into a metal boss or straight into a plastic hub. Before I take the grill out and araldite the bugger.

Advertisement

Ive replaced my fans before . Just cant remember .. would you believe that there is fans and motors in my kitchen .. just stripped them from my old 306 .
    Im at work .. so cant answer til later .. sry
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

Left handed countersunk head machine screw (Pozidriv) there, possibly missing the crucial countersunk star washer behind it.

The plastic fan can shear off neatly around the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Left handed countersunk head machine screw (Pozidriv) there, possibly missing the crucial countersunk star washer behind it.
    Thanks for the replies... definitely no washer on the a/c fan. being countersunk I'm not going to get one. Ideas.....? Its fracking hot out west!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    The plastic fan can shear off neatly around the screw.
    EEEK! Why can't they use a BOLT and a big washer.... arrggh.. French cars. Love to hate them.

The fans are two makes. ECIA fans have a left hand threaded hex bolt and flat star washer plus the drive shaft has a cross pin engaging with the back of the plastic moulding. The other brand have the countersunk screws and washers and are driven by a double flatted shaft.

If you need bits .. let me know . Might be able to help ..
    dhaw likes this.
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

The fans are two makes. ECIA fans have a left hand threaded hex bolt and flat star washer plus the drive shaft has a cross pin engaging with the back of the plastic moulding. The other brand have the countersunk screws and washers and are driven by a double flatted shaft.
    Whats on the other side of the screw... is it tapping into metal? Argue against this idea.... in place of the washer which I haven't got , as a stop gap measure, I get a piece of rubber inner tube to use as a washer. It would conform to the hole and be resistant to turning due to the grippy rubber. For a while.

Hi Addo... I pulled the cowling off and while the screw is located tightly the fan is flopping around on the shaft suggesting the inside of the fan has worn badly. Sound about right? Replacement fan seems to be the only way forward. Any way to pull a fuse and cut the passenger side fan out as I can't easily get to the wiring....? Otherwise no a/c around this country town and only use it on trips.

Fellow Frogger!

I can supply several sets of either type blades but the scres are a problem.
    dhaw likes this.

1000+ Posts

I have a spare motor around complete with screw if interested.
    dhaw likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

For completeness for people searching threads I found it necessary to unbolt the passenger side of the front bumper to allow space to remove the faulty fan.As you can see from the attached photos the plastic hub around the screw mount had disintegrated. Second hand fan sourced from a Aussiefrogs member will have the car back to AOK.
    306 A/c fan-20160125_091355.jpg306 A/c fan-_r1a4851_ijfr.jpg

Thread Information