Recenlty Purchased 205 will no longer start =(
  • Register
  • Help

Default Recenlty Purchased 205 will no longer start =(

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 205 GTI 1988, however sadly on the 2nd day it stopped starting.
    I turn the key and nothing happens. Had to push start the car to get it going. However the car began to stall at the lights, and all the electrics were flickering.

I believe It's either a battery related problem or alternator however being quite a newbie to cars I'm not sure how I can determine this.

It would be a great help if anyone could enlighten me on the situation.

Regards,

Advertisement

Drevlin.

Tadpole

Hi mate

I've got a problem with mine starting also. 3/10 times it wont turn over, all the dash lights are on though. I turn the key 4 -5 times and it fires up. it's done it since i've owned the car. when i've had it serviced i've mentioned to the guy, but of course it doesn'y do it when he tries it!

i've got and alarm and immobiliser fitted which may cause the problem, but i've basically got no idea where the problem comes from. Anyone else got any idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevlin
    Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 205 GTI 1988, however sadly on the 2nd day it stopped starting.
    I turn the key and nothing happens. Had to push start the car to get it going. However the car began to stall at the lights, and all the electrics were flickering.

I believe It's either a battery related problem or alternator however being quite a newbie to cars I'm not sure how I can determine this.

Regards,

Drevlin.

Welcome to the fantastic reliability of peugeots
    Have your wallet ready.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jason20
    Have your wallet ready.

and of course they are the only cars on the road to have problems

c'mon jason we have been through this before

there will be something simple like a relay or sensor that has decided enough is enough and that i would expect be understandable on a car that is 16 years old
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Take it to a mechanic.

Pugrambo, I don't mean to sound so negative, but If I we're wrong why is it that nearly every second post is about a fault or problem...
    Last edited by Jason20; 29th March 2004 at 07:40 PM.

Have your wallet ready.
    Jason, I am in the process of buying another Peugeot to do a trip through the outback and I am buying it because they are almost unbreakable. If you don't know how to fix 'em, join the NRMA. Try buying an Italian car if you want unreliability - it's built in at the factory!

Anyway, if a Peugeot does happen to hiccup for any reason, its just its Gaulish charm.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Quote Originally Posted by yawood
    Jason, I am in the process of buying another Peugeot to do a trip through the outback and I am buying it because they are almost unbreakable. If you don't know how to fix 'em, join the NRMA. Try buying an Italian car if you want unreliability - it's built in at the factory!

Anyway, if a Peugeot does happen to hiccup for any reason, its just its Gaulish charm.
    Your taking a peugeot out in the bush!!! get a toyota landcruiser or something!

Take lots of glue & stickytape, maybe a punching bag aswell to take out some frustration.

Steady on Bruce... some italian cars of the 80s were atrocious although we could say that about some french, german and don't let me even mention the EA falcon.

These days the french and italians have the lions share of the market. Euro car of the year was Alfa's 156 and Pug's 307. They're not new models either it's been that way since 98.

Take it to a mechanic.

Pugrambo, I don't mean to sound so negative, but If I we're wrong why is it that nearly every second post is about a fault or problem...
    I'd say it's because people use the forum to get information - they generally don't post on the forum to tell the world that their car is STILL running reliably. Therefore the topics are skewed towards those featuring unreliability.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    Previously owned:
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:

Hey Hutdog,

what kind of immobiliser/alarm do you have because mine does it too - I have a cobra system fitted and when it finnally does start the alarm LED flashes - weird - I figure the non-startign may be something to do with the alarm - I'm gonna get it checked out

I'd say it's because people use the forum to get information - they generally don't post on the forum to tell the world that their car is STILL running reliably. Therefore the topics are skewed towards those featuring unreliability.
    You've got a point there Bruce

Take it to a mechanic.

if they are as bad as you make out then why would someone like myself still have them after 20+ pugs that i have owned

there will always be a car here and there with little problems but as this is a french car forum of course there will be people that ask advice on these little problems

if your car is so unreliable then there is no reason for you to keep it really and grab something else and as you seem to dislike pugs so much there are plenty of other makes out there but please don't tar them all with the same brush as you know there isn't a car out there that will be trouble free when it is the same age as what you have

i'm not having a go but as a rule pugs are a pretty damn reliable car and have proved it time and time again

regards
    the 'rambo
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Steady on Bruce... some italian cars of the 80s were atrocious although we could say that about some french, german and don't let me even mention the EA falcon.
    You're right Luca, sorry. Actually the AU Falcon was a pretty good vehicle - it's just that the sedan was so bloody ugly and I must admit to making my comments about the italian cars of the seventies and eighties - I haven't owned any since then.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    Previously owned:
    Brother owned:

Hey Jason. If you want to see where a Peugeot will go check out this site http://www.donehue.net/image_pug/index.htm

The pug he did those travels in has 600,000km on the clock. The one I'm buying has only got 375,000km - just run in!

The reasons I'm using an old pug rather than a landcruiser are:

1. It's cheaper
    2. It's more comfortable
    3. It's more economical
    4. It's simpler (so if anything goes wrong you can generally fix it or patch it sufficiently to limp home)
    5. I'm not really bush-bashing - just driving the outback roads
    6. At home I can use it as another vehicle without being a 4WD road block
    7. It's a Peugeot
    Last edited by yawood; 29th March 2004 at 09:19 PM.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    Previously owned:
    Brother owned:

Hey Jason. If you want to see where a Peugeot will go check out this site http://www.donehue.net/image_pug/index.htm

The pug he did those travels in has 600,000km on the clock. The one I'm buying has only got 375,000km - just run in!

The reasons I'm using an old pug rather than a landcruiser are:

1. It's cheaper
    2. It's more comfortable
    3. It's more economical
    4. It's simpler (so if anything goes wrong you can generally fix it or patch it sufficiently to limp home)
    5. I'm not really bush-bashing - just driving the outback roads
    6. At home I can use it as another vehicle without being a 4WD road block
    7. It's a Peugeot
    Haha! that old pug is awesome!!! 600,000k's woah!
    thats one huge puddle! how many k's did you cover on that trip?

Old peugeots were famous for their offroad adventures, i recall seeing many a 504 kicking around africa, and it wasnt because they were unreliable.

205's/405's/306's are in a different leauge, with performance comes fragility and complexity. But just because they have a few more electrical bits to go wrong doesn't mean pugs are all unreliable.

Didn't really expect an arguement about the reliability of peugeots =)

Anyways, I'll be changing the battery today, hopefully it's as simple as that, if not I'll be taking it to the mechanics to see what the problem is, if it's not the battery I really suspect a dead alternator.

Just pisses me off, it's new/OLD car and it stops working.

Tadpole

Howdy S Chung

I think mine is a Vision. Will have to check out for sure when i get back home. It didn't do it before the alarm and immobiliser was fitted (by a professional mind you!!). So maybe it's dodgy instillation?? It'll also unlock and lock straight away when i press the key fob and i have to use the key to unlock the doors (just on the very odd occasion, like once a month).

So long as it doesn't stop working altogether when i'm out iin the middle of nowhere it doesn't bother me too much. better to have the problem every so often than have some half witt low life nick off with my car i suppose!

Quote Originally Posted by S Chung
    Hey Hutdog,

what kind of immobiliser/alarm do you have because mine does it too - I have a cobra system fitted and when it finnally does start the alarm LED flashes - weird - I figure the non-startign may be something to do with the alarm - I'm gonna get it checked out

Hi all,

Regards,

Drevlin.
    Wow Drevlin, look at all the crap you got as a reply.

Ok. Battery versus Alternator, who is to blame?

You need to check the battery's condition with a hydrometer. Make sure all 6 cells' specific gravities are within 10 points of each other and around 1275. Check the voltage across the battery's terminals when the engine is off and has been for over an hour. 12.6 volts I would expect.

Start the engine and check the voltage across the battery terminals - should be 13.5 or above. Turn on the headlights, driving lights (high beam) and push the aircon button to make the fans come on. The voltage will lower from the previous 13.5 or whatever you measured BUT when you rev the motor (gearbox in neutral) to higher than 4000rpm, it should not struggle - the engine must rev strongly.

Cars can run happily off a battery for only about 30 minutes so if you're alternator isn't producing current 1) your car will run for a maximum of 30 minutes in your driveway 2) the battery light on your dash is supposed to light -when the alternator's output regulator/rectifier fails, it outputs 12V via a spade (independent of it's output terminal) and this lights the dash globe.

Take lots of glue & stickytape, maybe a punching bag aswell to take out some frustration.

Jason, I have one word for you to consider of a Peugeots reliability and capabilities off the beaten track........ REDEX.

Argument over.
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Quote Originally Posted by seesully
    Jason, I have one word for you to consider of a Peugeots reliability and capabilities off the beaten track........ REDEX.

Argument over.
    REDEX??????

REDEX??????

do a search for redex reliability trials

there was a rerun held just last year
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi all,

Regards,

Drevlin.
    Starter Motor Armiture - I endured this problem for almost 5 years! Some years no problem, other years intermittent. I also suspected the immobiliser and had that removed and replaced. Finally I had the starter motor repaired.

get it checked out by someone whom can actually find the bloody starter motor!

cheers
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

REDEX??????
    I'm surprised that you are unaware of the Redex Trials!

Have a look at the following link for info on the 50th anniversary run that was conducted last year. There is also info on there about the history.

http://www.peugeot.com.au/peugeot/au...s.body&FFFF797
    Les hurlements de lion.
    504 GL (gone)
    205 GTI Classic (gone)
    505 STI (gone)
    I can feel a GTI 180 coming on!

Tadpole

Hi all,

Regards,

Drevlin.
    welcome to the world of intermitent electronics, i have just put a new starter in my 205 gti 87, ihad similar symptoms .you may have two problems or hopefully not .the nothing when you turn the key could be a faulty solenoid on the starter.it is located under the throttle control assembly just before air intake manifold, the solenoid is on top of the starter,you can put a big screwdriver on top of the solenoid and give it a whack with a small hammer[not tooo hard], you can see it if you look between throttle assembly and block. this sometimes will free a stuck starter. secondhand starters are $120 upwards,reco about $180,new from $350-$480,depending on who has stock ect .the stalling and flickering dash sounds like intermitent connection somewhere,id suggest a good auto elec who is familiar with pugs. by the way putting in a new starter is no easy job as it is placed in such a position that it can take a mechanic 2 plus hours to fit it,you have to remove air intake manifold and a lot of other stuff to get access to bolts to remove it. buy a inlet man gasket as you will need to replace the old one when refitting. dont be discouraged its well worth getting the car fixed so you can also drive around and observe 205 drivers with that big permanent grin on their faces -good luck mate -
    bazz [email protected]

Thread Information