• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By James504
  • 1 Post By Seanfgxr6
  • 1 Post By Seanfgxr6

Thread: New To Forum

Default New To Forum

Hey Everyone,

My name is Sean and i just bought a 2004 206 GTI 138 as a daily runabout but instantly fell in love with it and use it all the time now..

Its got a few issues like the rough idle at cold start which is apparently a common issue,

But its got one issue which is bugging me,

Ive got a strange banging/knocking coming from the front end. it cant be felt through the steering wheel and doesnt change noise over bumps or corners, it makes the noise in gear and while coasting in neutral?

I took it in to get a balance and rotate and they checked the front end but nothing is loose??

No play in the bearings or anything...

They did tell me that one of the rims has a slight buckle but it still makes the noise even with a spare rim...

Advertisement

Am i missing something?

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Does it vary with engine speed? or road speed? Are the wheel nuts all tight after the work?

Have you looked at the joints on the drop links?

Nah doesn't change with speed, have checked all lugs and they are tight, it had been doing it before i got the rotation and thought it was a balance issue...

So its got me stumped

Icon6

G'day Sean.
    welcome to Aussiefrogs. All the answers are here. Just hang in there a while, and all will be revealed.
    Good choice of car.

ps. is there something, like an old tool, bouncing around in the engine bay ?
    Don't laugh, I had a banging in the rear of another car, turned out to be an old 1Kg weight.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Thanks for the welcome,

Funny you said that, ive left tools in the engine bay before and already looked but nothing, its a distinct sound that i just cant pin point or put into words...a whirring banging knocking that i can feel through the floor....

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Seanfgxr6 View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    Its got a few issues like the rough idle at cold start which is apparently a common issue,
    Thanks
    G'day,
    There are lots [and lots] of discussions on this point. Have a bit of a search and you will find the correct way to start the beast.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Icon11

Ive got a strange banging/knocking coming from the front end. it cant be felt through the steering wheel and doesnt change noise over bumps or corners, it makes the noise in gear and while coasting in neutral?

Am i missing something?

Thanks
    Hi and welcome, I've no experience with the 206 but offer my guess anyway

Have you checked condition of engine mounts?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Knocking noise from the front end will be the lower control arms. The cold start idle issue will most likely be the hydraulic lifters.
    addo likes this.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Thanks for all the replys, so how do i know if it is the lower control arms? The workshop said everything is tight and it doesn't knock over speed bumps etc??

As for the hydraulic lifters, do i just get them replaced?

I just had a look at the document over on peugeot logic about the lower control arms..

My noise happens in a straight line on all surfaces its more noticeable on the smooth new expressway...

Hey Everyone,

My name is Sean and i just bought a 2004 206 GTI 138 as a daily runabout but instantly fell in love with it and use it all the time now..

But its got one issue which is bugging me,

I took it in to get a balance and rotate and they checked the front end but nothing is loose??

No play in the bearings or anything...

They did tell me that one of the rims has a slight buckle but it still makes the noise even with a spare rim...

Am i missing something?

Thanks
    Your description is not clear about the point of whether the noise happens whilst still or only on the move.

Either way, I would start by looking at the engine mounts.

As already suggested, suspension arm bushings are not above suspicion either but less likely judging by your comments.

Failed engine mounts cause a heavier, deeper sound than suspension knocks.

One detail you have to learn is that most of the problems with these cars (and perhaps more generally with all cars) are difficult to diagnose because run of the mill mechanics don't care enough to take the time to properly isolate cause and effect (did your mechanic actually drive the car to properly understand what is the sound they're chasing? Did they try to isolate where it is coming from?). The solution is to become good at diagnosing yourself even if you don't do the repairs. This will save you taking the wrong approach (which was your mistake in this instance). If you go to get a balance/rotation, that's what you'll get and nobody will check anything else, because that's not what they do.

By the way, tire/wheel problems will feed back through the steering and will vary with speed.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 17th January 2016 at 02:36 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The noise is only when driving, its quiet at idle, the noise doesn't change with speed its the same when im going 10kmh or 110kmh and doesn't get louder or faster with speed...

I took it too the mechanic as it sounded like a tyre out of balance but it has no vibration in the steering wheel,

The noise doesn't change when braking or turning..

Wheel nuts have been checked and all are fine,

The workshop took it for a drive and still couldn't pin point the source of the noise,

Someone suggested warped rotors but wouldnt that pulse under braking??

So just to clarify the noise happens in all gears at all speeds on smooth roads even when coasting in neutral but doesnt increase with speed or rpm's....
    Last edited by Seanfgxr6; 17th January 2016 at 04:01 AM.

I was finding it hard to describe the noise, it is a rythmic thumping noise

Icon6

G'day,
    it is not something in the air conditioning ducts, is it ? How about the water pump ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

How old are the tyres? Tyres can make lots of noise if old or left to sit for a long time.
    what about the intermediate bearing on the driveshaft. Thats the only other noise I can think of that would be rhythmic.

If its not rhythmic its probably your drop links. They are notorious all just about every FWD peugeot. That can knock on even the slightest bump and no tightening of 'lugs' is going to help. I would also as suggested above, have your wishbones checked. Does youe mechanic know Peugeots and the 206?

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

So how would i go about checking that bearing? Or do I need to change the driveshaft?

Im hoping the driveshaft has the bearing on it so i don't have to tear the gearbox down??

Sorry im not familiar with the pugs but have worked on alot of other cars..

Quick update - i just got 4 new tyres put on and balanced but noise is still there... ive ordered new pads and rotors and will see what happens...

If it's the intermediate bearing im hoping i can replace the whole drive shaft and not dismantle the gearbox...??

Just had a mate drive the car and he said it sounds like driving over train tracks but muffled??
    Last edited by Seanfgxr6; 17th January 2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Update

Ok so i think i may have found the source of the noise but need to clarify...

The rear engine mount that is right near the driveshaft moves with the driveshaft... i can move the engine back and forward with one hand... could that cause a rythmic thumping??

I got under the car and spun the cvs,tyres and everything is tight and smooth but when i push on the sump the engine moves about half a inch and also moves the driveshaft...
    Last edited by Seanfgxr6; 17th January 2016 at 05:46 PM.

1000+ Posts

i can move the engine back and forward with one hand
    Says a lot. The lower mount handles the torque horizontal fore and aft reactions. It should stop the engine from rocking. They do get oily which doesn't help the rubber.

So it can cause constant thumping when driving I guess?

From what ive gathered its not a expensive part...just time consuming..

I didnt even realise that the intermediate bearing sat inside the engine mount assembly.... so any play in the mount is gonna throw the balance out of the driveshaft...

Ill get it replaced during the week and let you all know how i go

Thanks for all your input
    Last edited by Seanfgxr6; 18th January 2016 at 12:54 AM.

So took the car into Mark at lions today and it could be a wheel bearing starting to go or the diff....

Was told to keep driving it and see how it goes.

If it is the diff i will installing a quaife unit
    Grey_Lover likes this.

So took the car into Mark at lions today and it could be a wheel bearing starting to go or the diff....
    Welcome to the group and hope you solve this one. If all else fails get the catholic priest to perform an exorcism? Good to see you are appreciating your pug.

Well, sounds like you pretty much sorted it. I would check all engine/g'box mounts for peace of mind. And if you change the lower engine mount, you might want to do the driveshaft bearing anyway; you don't want to go back in there for another job next week.

If that doesn't fix it though,

The fact that the noise happens only when driving suggests it's nothing to do with the engine running. I would try to depress the clutch when standing still and see if there's any change. Put car in gear/reverse and let the clutch out a bit, just to rock the car/engine in its mounts and see what happens. This may not say much, but it could be something to do with the clutch mechanism (throw out bearing, actuating lever, etc), OR (!) the engine changing position slightly when the clutch goes in (load on the pressure plate/flywheel) and the engine swings about.

All other things mentioned (drop links, arms, etc) are perhaps just about due for a refresh anyway, so can't hurt giving them a bit of attention. Check the sway bar bushes too, they must be coming of age as well.

One other thing not mentioned yet might be the callipers rattling on the slides. To check this move the car forward and apply brakes abruptly (you don't need to go fast, snail pace is enough), then put car in reverse and again apply brakes abruptly. If there's any clunk, you found your culprit. If you have rear disc brakes you'll have to figure out where exactly the problem is.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

!!!UPDATE!!!

my gti is now fixed,

Spent the day replacing both front wheel bearings which i was worried about as all the threads were saying the axle nut is a pita to get off...

Gave it a good blast with loctite freeze and got the impact gun out and one hit it was loose

The old wheel bearings had burnt grease seeping out so pressed them out and installed the new ones.

New lower engine mount
    New cv boots
    Gearbox flush
    New pads and rotors

Now shes better than ever

Cheers
    Grey_Lover likes this.

Thread Information