• 1 Post By pug206gti
  • 1 Post By GerardR
  • 2 Post By GerardR
  • 2 Post By Aussie Steve
  • 1 Post By GerardR
  • 1 Post By pug206gti

Thread: 206 GTi 180 Timing Belt

Default 206 GTi 180 Timing Belt

Does anyone have any idea of the costs likely to be charged by a Pug service centre for the above?
    As it turns out not just any mechanic can do the job. Special tools required for the VVT and only Pug places keep them. Waiting for a quote from Sinclair Pug at Penrith

Advertisement

You can buy timing tool kits quite inexpensively if that's what is holding you back.
    Aussie Steve likes this.

Hey Addo. My mechanic said that the VVT is a different tool to what is used on the non VVT engines. He has done the belt on my 206 XRS no problems at all. He had not done a 180 before..I'm a bit peed of with him about it as I made it very clear at the beginning that this is not the same engine as a GTi etc.So I have pay him for having done a service etc but not fixed the main problem. Should've gone straight to Pug Service Centre

Fellow Frogger!

It should be around $800-1000 for a decent independent to do. Not sure about official Peugeot centres. Check the stickies for reputable Sydney mechanics.

We did one at home without locking pins, but it's not recommended (we replaced the cams and timed it manually).
    I don't think the locking sets are any different for all the EW engines, but for the 180 with VVT, I think you're supposed to leave it to sit until it is dead cold (overnight etc) so there is no oil pressure in the VVT system. Otherwise, not specially hard - about 4hrs work for a decent mechanic.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, AT Power Dry Sump, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Custom Radiator and Oil cooler, 3J Plate LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5, Winton - 1:40.2, Wakefield - 1:11.05, Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

The other source of information is Peugeot Service Box, for less than $9/hr you can access and save the manufacturers' repair instructions.

Last time I did it, excluding parts, tyres, and oil that I supplied, it cost ~1k but that included changing belt, water pump and coolant, oil/filter, cover gasket, air filter, hand brake adjustment, replacing/balancing tyres and wheel alignment.

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Thanks guys. Pug dealer (Sinclair Automotive Penrith) have quoted me $1050 for just the timing belt job. Not including service as I've just done that at the last shop.
    It sounds reasonable to me.
    Worst thing is I have to get it to them on a tilt tray. Probably cost about $150. But at least I can get the job done and any codes sorted along with also getting a Blue Slip and the new rego all in the same place. Oh and the other bad thing is that they're booked out until the 1st of Feb. I'm going crazy not being able to drive the wee beastie 😤

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    Thanks guys. Pug dealer (Sinclair Automotive Penrith) have quoted me $1050 for just the timing belt job. Not including service as I've just done that at the last shop.
    It sounds reasonable to me.
    Worst thing is I have to get it to them on a tilt tray. Probably cost about $150. But at least I can get the job done and any codes sorted along with also getting a Blue Slip and the new rego all in the same place. Oh and the other bad thing is that they're booked out until the 1st of Feb. I'm going crazy not being able to drive the wee beastie 
    G'day,
    just think about how great it will be once you have it returned.Try not to get booked though...
    Aussie Steve likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Hi Steve,

Hope your 206 is working out! I think you just bought it when I called the guy to come have a look! I had to go find me another one...

Its a 2005 206 GTI 180, & its at my mechanics in Lawson today getting the timing belt done & a broken engine mount replaced. He is charging me somewhere around $550 for the belt including parts, $80 for the engine mount plus labour while he has it all apart.
    Mark Harrison Automotive 47592103.
    Having discussed it with him, he is aware of the ins & outs of the job, & is pretty scathing about the premiums charged by shops to do euro cars. (having said that, there are plenty of mechanics I would not trust anywhere near my car... this guy happens to have my trust)
    I will post after i pick up the car & let you know how it turned out.

Icon6

G'day,
    when it has been replaced, come down to the FCOTKD
    French car owners monthly tyre kicking day

Next one is 21/2/16
    Aussie Steve likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Hi all.

just a follow up on my previous post. Timing belt and RHS engine mount replaced, done 250km since I picked it up & its all fine. actually more than fine now the front end is no longer clunking!... total bill $620 for timing belt, engine mount & labour.

for any other 205GTI owners- I read a lot on various forums about clunking in the front end, & based on what I read, I actually replaced the lower control arms & swaybar drag links thinking that was the problem. Turns out it wasn't- it was a busted engine mount. anyway, it was a nice way to get all dirty with the new car...

Hope this is helpful!
    Aussie Steve likes this.

Gday Gerard.
    i hope I got a good buy.
    Very interesting to hear if Harro can do the job. Great to know another place maybe able do work without having to get it to Penrith
    keep me posted ����

So Gerard is your car a 205 or a 206?
    your posts say both.
    It seems to be only the 180 that's a problem due to the Variable Valve Timing.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 23rd January 2016 at 03:40 PM.

I have booked the 180 into Harro,s at Lawson after having a good chat with him about said repairs.
    Confidence is high. Just can't get it in there until 3rd Feb. He's booked out. All this waiting is killing me

hey Steve. Yeah, my car is a 206 gti 180, same as yours. apologies for the confusion.

just returned from the long weekend round trip of about 1400k, part of which was some spirited driving on some quiet mountain roads, exploring the upper reaches of the rev counter (ahem). never missed a beat.
    Aussie Steve and pug206gti like this.

Dropped my 180 off at the shop at last. Should be ready for pickup on Thursday. Have to drive it up to Katoomba for the blue slip. Looking forward to that.

Mission accomplished!
    The timing belt job completed. The noise in the motor was the water pump. Dodgey mechanic from a mobile service mob who did the timing belt job for the previous owner wound on too much tension on the pulley and it just wore out the bearing on the pump.
    So big thanks to GerrardR for putting me onto Lawson Auotomotive. Harro is very versed in performance cars and has great knowledge on the Pug.
    It's all rego,d now and purring like a kitten.
    Last edited by Aussie Steve; 6th February 2016 at 12:42 AM.
    SLC206 and Grey_Lover like this.

Good result Steve! Glad I could help out.
    I will keep an eye out for a blue gti 180 in the mountains being driven by a guy with a massive grin on his face.
    Aussie Steve likes this.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by GerardR View Post
    Good result Steve! Glad I could help out.
    I will keep an eye out for a blue gti 180 in the mountains being driven by a guy with a massive grin on his face.
    G'day,
    all 180 drivers have a grin. The next FCOTKD is on 21/2/16, come along so we can have a perve.
    Aussie Steve likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Thread Information