Long live the GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Long live the GTi

Hi all,
    I'm a newly converted Pug lover... and hopefully will be for many years to come. I've just joined aussiefrogs and think this Site is absolutely awesome... thanks largely to everyone's involvement.
    The long wait to own a new 208GTi has almost become a reality. I expect to put a deposit on one (pearl white) later this month. However, one of the most disappointing things about the new 208GTi, for me, is that it still comes out with the same 17" wheels as the previous models. I was really, really hoping that those gorgeous 18" lithium wheels with 205/40 Michelins used on the PS variant would have become the new standard on the facelift model. They look so perfect for the car - but alas, it's not to be .
    So, now I'm toying with the expensive (and impulsive) idea of replacing the 17s with 18s right after I buy the car (someone, please snap me out of it). Am I able to do this without any other modifications to the car? I know the PS variant, which uses the 18s, has modified suspension and brakes, and I'm not sure if the wheel arches are higher too.
    Can anyone advise if any of these modifications are required to accommodate 18" wheels on the standard GTi?
    I can't trust what dealers say... especially when I find I know more about the basics of the car than they do!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

You can buy mine from the sale thread and then put the wheels on it. Save you quite a bit on new
    It's black though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ossum View Post
    Hi all,
    Can anyone advise if any of these modifications are required to accommodate 18" wheels on the standard GTi?
    I can't trust what dealers say... especially when I find I know more about the basics of the car than they do!
    Hi Ossum,

Welcome to

If you have your heart set a new one, I'd say hold your nerve. There's rumours that Peugeot will sell the GTi by Peugeot Sport locally soon. That way you get real things like a Torsen diff and better brakes and not just cosmetic things like 18" wheels.

Otherwise, there is no offset difference between the standard GTi wheel and the GTi by Peugeot Sport - they are both ET20, however the 18" rim is 7.5" wide as opposed to 7.0"

I've attached a pic - the standard wheel is item 7 and the 18" is item 9.

Long live the GTi-208gtiwheels.jpg
    Last edited by SLC206; 12th January 2016 at 07:36 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Warus. Thanks for the offer. I tried to find your sale thread, but I couldn't find it.
    I was however, looking for the original current model PS wheels, but have since found out that currently, the only ones available are those labeled with 30th Anniversary... and their price is absolutely ridiculous.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Richard. I don't know if I can edit the title of a thread but it's definitely up for sale now. Only using it 2 or 3 days a week to work and home.

Hey Warus,
    Good looking car. Great price too! I'm sure it will find a new home soon.
    However, I am looking at buying a brand new one... had my heart set on it for about a year now.

Thanks, Simon, for the welcome.
    Most of all thank you for answering my question regarding fitting 18" wheels. I may consider it in the future though. Too expensive right now.

I'd like nothing more than to own a 208GTi By PS. When I heard they were being released and going into production I started saving like mad, but the mortgage prevented me from saving at the necessary speed and also, sanity eventually prevailed. And I'm still well short anyway.
    I stood by and watched it being released in Europe and then later in the UK, in June 2015. It was made available at the same time that the Facelift 208 was being released. Finally I heard that the new Facelift 208 was coming to Australia, probably early in the 4th Quarter of 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    There's rumours that Peugeot will sell the GTi by Peugeot Sport locally soon. That way you get real things like a Torsen diff and better brakes and not just cosmetic things like 18" wheels.
    I was so disappointed when I heard that Peugeot was holding back releasing the PS variant in Australia. Their reasons for doing so appear to be in this article: Peugeot 208 GTi | LSD race suspension option

So, yeah, it's coming. Just don't know when. Anyway, I don't think we'll get much change out of $40K for the PS, so I figure I can live without the bigger discs, the Brembo brakes, the LSD, the wider wheel base, the 10mm lower ride etc etc etc... Ultimately, the GTi will fulfil my needs for both driving pleasure and at a much lower price. I think I'm getting a great deal on the new 208GTi, so I'm pretty happy about that. I'll let you know once I've got it.

Thank again for getting back to me.

Regards,
    Manny

Thread Information