306 GTI known problems
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 GTI known problems

I am going with a mate to check out a 99/00 306 GTI tonight and need to know what are the problem areas in these cars. I know that the brakes are a nightmare & sometimes the gearbox can be notchy but are there any other problems to look out for in a 100,000 km example ?

Advertisement
    2001 306 Rallye

1000+ Posts

Brakes? Nightmare? Naaa - might just need some new front rotors that's all. If the clutch is sticky/jerky/lumpy, you might be up for $124 for a new cable.

Biggest thing is WAS the timing belt changed at 80 000km like it should have been?

Derek.

Car was fantastic. It was actually a 98 build and 99 compliance. The only problem was that the driver window seemed to slip off the guide when putting the front window down. After driving the 100kw Rallye I noticed the differences between the two were quite large. The suspension is a lot firmer compared to mine, the performance felt the same until over 3000 rpm when it felt like somebody gave it a shot of Nitrous & the sterring is sublime.
    Very impressed.

Is $18,000 a fair price (it has full leather)?
    2001 306 Rallye

Yes, that's a fair price. Like any car of that age, you need a good mechanic who knows Peugeot to look over it. Expect that a few parts here and there may be worn, but if it's been well serviced, it should be fine. There aren't many inherent "faults" in the 306. Brake rotors are thin across the range, but can be rectified by switching to an DBA rotor.

Raditaor fans tend to be a common replacement at that age. Make sure that air conditioner compressor works too. They're not cheap to replace on any 306.

Otherwise the gearbox and engine are strong, and should be fine if they've been serviced well and had that timing belt changed.

98 is failrly recent by any stretch of the imagination. I have a 94 S16 and it has been welllooked after by me and the previous owner and there has been (touch wood) no major problems except for normal wear and tear. I have had the usual inlet diaphragm and solenoid and coil pack problems like most 306 owners but nothing major.Car feels tight no rattles or creaks,handles beautifullyand goes like a bat out of hell after 3000 rpm.
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

more things to check would be.

rear quarter panels just as the rear quarter window ends. Make sure you do not have abnormal indentations (some early pugs have this after a very hard life the body flexes and leaves indentations)

dash electrics. My ex gti6 had a tendency not to display full digits on the speedo when cold. Normally within few km's all of the digits would work fine.

interior demister fan. since they always stay on (impossible to switch off) they may become noisy. Apparently a real pain in the... to replace.

squeeky rear hatch door. Fixable by applying dry grease to the hatch seals

not sure if common but happened on my left door twice. the pin holding the door stop limiter popped out twice. Just keep an eye on it if it happens to you.

CAT / middle muffler may develop loose baffles and needs replacing. Happened to my mate after he bought my car, and to GTI124 after Brenno took it for a spin. (no finger pointing), (DEKA, I think it happened to you as well in your XSi)

Engine pipe to manifold joint may become loose and the $30 knuckle part will disintgrate. $90 in labour to fix. Happened to me and Brad.

ok, im out of ideas for now.

*edit*

Engine mount wells (bodywork) may crack on some models (reported by few 306 members here)
    Last edited by tekkie; 30th March 2004 at 03:47 PM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    more things to check would be.

rear quarter panels just as the rear quarter window ends. Make sure you do not have abnormal indentations (some early pugs have this after a very hard life the body flexes and leaves indentations)

dash electrics. My ex gti6 had a tendency not to display full digits on the speedo when cold. Normally within few km's all of the digits would work fine.

interior demister fan. since they always stay on (impossible to switch off) they may become noisy. Apparently a real pain in the... to replace.

squeeky rear hatch door. Fixable by applying dry grease to the hatch seals

not sure if common but happened on my left door twice. the pin holding the door stop limiter popped out twice. Just keep an eye on it if it happens to you.

CAT / middle muffler may develop loose baffles and needs replacing. Happened to my mate after he bought my car, and to GTI124 after Brenno took it for a spin. (no finger pointing), (DEKA, I think it happened to you as well in your XSi)

Engine pipe to manifold joint may become loose and the $30 knuckle part will disintgrate. $90 in labour to fix. Happened to me and Brad.

ok, im out of ideas for now.

*edit*

Engine mount wells (bodywork) may crack on some models (reported by few 306 members here)

Awesome tekkie, thanks for that. I can add that to the list I'm compiling so if something does go wrong, I can find out the fix sooner. Cheers.

I have got an annoying problem which occurs intermittently and your mention about the interior demister fan being noisy reminded me. I dunno if my annoying noise is the demister fan, I think it's just the interior fan. It only occurs on either a hot day and/or after I've been giving the car a good fanging, and then only if the interior fan is running i.e the knob is either on Auto or on one of the speeds, but the noise stops when the knob is in the Off position. The noise itself is a little high pitched. I usually just turn the interior fan off when it starts, but it would be good if there is a simple fix.

cheers,
    Jude
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information