504 Colour Dilemma
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Pug4eva

Thread: 504 Colour Dilemma

Tadpole

Default 504 Colour Dilemma

With a lack of available opinions immediately available, I would be dead grateful for some feedback from other 504 owners. I am stripping and preparing to rebuild my 1985 GR. It is a light metallic green, but while I love the car the colour just does not work for me. I am wrestling with the decision of changing the colour, but originality makes me think to keep it the same! I have also battled to find good samples of the original green colours. As it is already metallic I would like to stick to one of three options:
    1. Retain the existing colour
    2. Keep it green just a darker hue
    3. Change to blue - my favoured?

Advertisement

Any opinions appreciated!
    Thanks
    Mark

1977 504 GL
    1985 504 GR

original colours for peugeot 504 - Google Search
    the blue top right does look very nice

Quote Originally Posted by indabundu View Post
    With a lack of available opinions immediately available, I would be dead grateful for some feedback from other 504 owners. I am stripping and preparing to rebuild my 1985 GR. It is a light metallic green, but while I love the car the colour just does not work for me. I am wrestling with the decision of changing the colour, but originality makes me think to keep it the same! I have also battled to find good samples of the original green colours. As it is already metallic I would like to stick to one of three options:
    1. Retain the existing colour
    2. Keep it green just a darker hue
    3. Change to blue - my favoured?

Any opinions appreciated!
    Thanks
    I would choose an original Peugeot color, which you would like to have on the car. The color doesn't matter, provided the car was supplied in the color ex factory.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Will you be painting it yourself ?
    Metallic paint is difficult to get an even coat with, if you are an amateur painter who hasn't done much before. And the sun is not kind to metallic.

Basically your dilemma is which you value more : originality or your favourite colour. Only you can answer that.

However if your favourite colour is blue, I suggest you go with that. The engine bay will still be green, unless you strip out everything and paint it. But that doesn't matter if you have a nice demarkation between outside and inside, without any overspray.

It probably also comes down to how much work you want to do and how good the car is. If it's in an excellent condition then that may be a factor in your choice, better to keep it original. If that's not a priority and you have the time, you may want to go to the trouble of changing the colour. With a drastic change of colour I'd be thinking of doing the engine compartment etc which is a lot of work.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Australian delivered cars had body color engine bays - French built 404s had black engine bays. I don't know about 504s...

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Will you be painting it yourself ?
    Metallic paint is difficult to get an even coat with, if you are an amateur painter who hasn't done much before. And the sun is not kind to metallic.

Basically your dilemma is which you value more : originality or your favourite colour. Only you can answer that.

However if your favourite colour is blue, I suggest you go with that. The engine bay will still be green, unless you strip out everything and paint it. But that doesn't matter if you have a nice demarkation between outside and inside, without any overspray.

Tadpole

Many thanks for thr replies. I work for a company where we manufacture our own bus bodies so have free access to not only facilities but inexpensive expertise. I can do a complete spray without breaking tge bank, but would like to do as much as possible myself.

I think solid colour looks more classic, even though the car is cutrently metallic. Metallic paints do not hold up well in our conditions which are sunny and hot with coastal winds etc. I cannot find any information regarding the original colour choices of South African built GR's so I am not even sure what options were available!

I would assume that any future value would be reduced by changing the original colour? Thd car is currently in very good condition, but hascsome chips etc. 504's like other early cars rust badly here, so the idea is as much to improve the protection as to be pleasing yo the eye!

As I am only starting to strip the car, I have some time to consider the decision. Thanks again!
    Mark

1977 504 GL
    1985 504 GR

One of my friends had a South African 504 import which was a beautiful sky blue.

Go on....you know you want to

Hey, how about Daktari zebra stipes?

What's the colour of the seats panels?
    Might be worth to check out this http://www.peugeot504.info/brochures/colors-uphostry/

This is from 1969 in terms of interior/exterior combination.
    Last edited by Pug4eva; 11th January 2016 at 10:46 PM.
    andrepug and Tom_95 like this.

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Then again, there's always good old white....the most practical colour for a hot climate. And if it's a really brilliant white, you will not see much dirt on it.
    I have 2 Peugeots and they're both white.

Paint it whatever colour YOU like!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Quote Originally Posted by indabundu View Post
    Change to blue - my favoured?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    One of my friends had a South African 504 import which was a beautiful sky blue.

Go on....you know you want to
    Ahem

Fellow Frogger!

1396 Gris Fume or 1394 Vert Torrent

Fellow Frogger!

Take the value of any good 504 and dollar wise there would be very little difference between one repainted the original colour and one of your choice. It's your car, enjoy it ................. paint it blue.

Tadpole

Decision so far is to keep the GR original for now and use as my daily driver while restoring tge GL. The GL is originally brown.

@Pug4eva - many thanks for tgr link and info.

Of interest the GL has 3 colour door panels black, brown and a silver panel at the bottom. The SA built GR has 2 colours black and tan.

They are so similar yet so different.
    Mark

1977 504 GL
    1985 504 GR

Any chance of some photos?

Thread Information