404 ute goat carrier
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 404 ute goat carrier

well, finally got myself a 1970 404 ute. Not exactly original: 504 early motor(with hardened valve seats), converted to LPG, front struts 504, rear axle 504(?) I think, how do you find out? Chucked the ute dash and replaced with sedan model, which gives the driver a bit more info. 504 seats. Had a you beaut ute cage built to carry our goats to shows (first trip will be to Sydney Easter Show).
    After some corrections: wheel allignment 18mm out, now okay; driver's side caliper loose, threw a bolt straight through the disk; replaced, tightened both sides and now okay, most wiring re-done. Very rust-free for it's age, but will need a re-spray in the not too distant future.

Being a basic ute it had no radio, am in the process of installing one but would like some help with the aerial. In original sedans the aerial was fitted on the left front mudguard, about 15cm from the rear end of the mudguard, just down from the top ridge ( is that correct?)
    I don't want to drill a hole there without some further info, as there seem to be all sorts of nooks and crannies under that spot, some part of the guard and others within the body space.
    In short, how do I fit an aerial and run the aerial coax into the cabin?
    No doubt more questions will arise in the future, but I need some sound before a 6 hour trip to Sydney.
    Thanks for any help.
    Wouter

Advertisement

There is a section in the factory manual dealing with fitting an aerial. I will try and attatch them here, but if it does not work I will email the pages to you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 404 ute goat carrier-pugradio2.jpg   404 ute goat carrier-pugradio.jpg  
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pugnut, many thanks for that info; came accross very clearly.
    It is interesting to note that the wing aerial is supposed to be positioned towards the ventilator grille from the edge of the guard rather than to the outside. Did I read that correctly??
    I'll give it a go this week-end if I can find the time.
    Thanks again!
    Wouter

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

if you didn't want to drill a hole in the guard you could always mount one on the cabin above the back window

also i'm not sure if you can still get them but i have seen gutter mount ones as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon5

I am thinking about installing a radio in my 203. Will try and hide it in one of the glove boxes or under a seat. Couple of questions that hopefully someone out there might be able to answer:
    Are condensors for the coil and generator easily available?
    Can you buy an off-the-shelf, modern radio and install it directly into an old car or are there some extra bits you need to make it work?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    if you didn't want to drill a hole in the guard you could always mount one on the cabin above the back window

also i'm not sure if you can still get them but i have seen gutter mount ones as well
    Hi Pugrambo, thanks for the suggestions; as it happens I have a perfectly good aerial meant to be mounted on the guard. I have no problems with drilling a hole in the guard, I just want to know what I'll find under that hole and if it is straightforward to lead the coax cable into the cabin. I suppose I'll find out after I've drilled the hole.....

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pugmeister
    I am thinking about installing a radio in my 203. Will try and hide it in one of the glove boxes or under a seat. Couple of questions that hopefully someone out there might be able to answer:
    Are condensors for the coil and generator easily available?
    Can you buy an off-the-shelf, modern radio and install it directly into an old car or are there some extra bits you need to make it work?

i ran one in a 403 i had with no troubles

you can buy the suppressors from your local spare parts shop but i only ever needed to put one on the coil and that was it

BTW in the centre glovebox seems to be the most common spot in 203's to stick a radio or the LH glovebox if you have an early girl
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cars were fitted with radios back in those days, you know... though they were usually fairly bulky items.

On the ute, I would suggest the left hand end of the scuttle cover for your aerial... would give you easy access to the interior for the co-ax and all. If you go through the guard you have to drill from the inside of the car to get through the structural panel that's just inside the rear of the guard panel... careful you don't go through the guard as well...

My 404 has one drilled in the outer side of the front mudguard. So has the 403.
    Boith of these had the radios mounted under the dash on a bracket in the centre.

If you need anything else scanned from the manual let me know.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pugnut403, thanks for the assistance, followed the diagram exactly (drilled with a very small drill bit first) found under the guard, about 5cm, the top of the scuttle, drilled through that and found that everything should fit. Drilled the larger hole through both barriers, fitted the aerial without problems. Had sound!.
    Trip to Sydney Easter show went fine. Left about 2 am Tuesday morning, arrived about 9 am with 14 goats in 404 ute, Navara dual cab+ trailer. Everything settled in by 2pm and company of three exhausted to bed.
    Judging fairly pleasing, some 1sts, 2nds and 3rds, no champions this year.
    Returned yesterday (Good Friday) Were told we could leave at 2pm, but some security issue held us up till well after 4, coming home at 11pm.
    The 404 didn't miss a beat, was really quicker (especially up hills) than the Navara.
    Didn't get any waves from any pugs, except a bloke on the way out of the show ground who made the comment that you didn't see many of those cars and a young lady fuelling up a red 205 in Nowra smiled in acknowledgement. Saw her and her partner some kms later being booked for speeding.............

Phil from Bargo, sorry for the mix-up, must have given the wrong mobile number (combination of my own and my wife's!), but as it turned out we took the coastal route (Princes Hwy) and were rather late (see above) Next time better.

Was extremely pleased with the behaviour of the 404, running on LPG it cost about half of the Navara fuel bill, tanks lasting roughly the same distance.
    On the Showground parking area I was almost next door to a car with dog trailer with a sticker "I love my PUG"!
    The goats also thanked me for the comfortable ride (what else can you expect in a Pug??)
    Wouter

Glad it was of help to you. If there is anything else from the 404 manual let me know and I will scan them for you.
    What breed of goats do you have? We have had mostly Saanens, but we did have a Nubian and a British Alpine/Toggenberg cross and our best goat ever was a Saanen/Nubian cross.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Pugnut403!
    Our goats are angora (mohair producing) goats. Sydney was the last show of the season and really a bit too late for the goats. So they are now all shorn off and feeling a lot better.
    The cage for the ute was removed and stored last week-end for next year.
    When things have quietened down a bit I'll probably come up with more questions regarding the 404 and 504 (seeing there are a lot of 504 bits in it)
    All the best and regards,
    Wouter

Default missing at the Show.

G'day, I tried several times to ring you in the off chance I'd see this marvel. The number was for a bloke in Goondawindi who was quite OK about my ringing him. I'd still like to see the setup as Ive just got onto a 504 deseasil but missed out on three others all within a block of each other. And this is in a small village too. The owners knew I was doing up the ute and knew a good friens but didn't think that I'd be interested so the cars went to the recyclers. Still, they gave me the trap headlights and a good set of coil spring compressors.
    What other changes did you do to accommodate the 504 struts?
    Bon chance
    Phil

Phil I think you will find that the struts on this ute are still 404 its only the brakes that are early 504
    regads Jamie
    ps did you get my email about the 404 rear shocks

Yes & thanks: sent an update email last night
    Cheers
    PJW

Thread Information