• 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Hugh Venables
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By pottsy
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: 307 BSI issues?

Default 307 BSI issues?

Greeting Peugistes.

It's not often I stray over here these days as the only Pug in the stable is Mrs P's 307.

Generally this is a tractable beast which Mrs P punts unmercifully all over Melbourne, usually between shopping centres and lunch dates with The Girls, but that's a bit harsh.

Recently Spike (Because that's the 307s name) has become reluctant to lock or unlock from the remote fob. Having done extensive searches on this and other Fora I tried replacing the battery in the key fob. No change.

So I tried doing the re-programming sequence as specified in various places. No change.

As things stand, the car can be locked/unlocked from the key fob as long as one is inside the car with the unit no more than a foot (in the old money) away from the steering column. Much further than this and it's no go. Outside the car, even held up against the window, no reaction at all.

Advertisement

I guess this wouldn't be a problem, being a "convenience" item after all, but Spike is often used to also transport Mrs Ps elderly Mum and being able to unlock the doors while suporting a 92 year old is a bonus. Having to walk around the car to the driver's door with the key, then back in time to help Mum into the car is tedious at best.

Adding to my confusion is the report that "for some time" the driver's window closing/unclosing function has been unreliable and/or intermittent. I've checked this and even done the reset procedure as specified in the driver's manual and I can't fault the action at all, but I'm assured that it happens and I'm not going to argue the point after 35 years of marriage!

So my question to the Brains Trust. Should I bite the bullet and do a full, battery off, reset of the BSI and risk turning the thing into an unresponsive brick? Should I take it to the gnomes at Auto Paris or should I assume that it comes with age (the cars!) and risk Mrs P deciding it's time for a new Honda or similar?

Your thoughts, as always, will be well received and dutifully pondered.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

pottsy,

It is known that I don't have many brains, however I would be looking at the wiring in the door jamb.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I'd be leaning towards a new key. There was a thread on here with someone having the same problems with a 407 I believe. Although he took his key for a swim first. Does the car have a second remote key? The window thing is a common 307 fault, give us a call for an easy remedy!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

You don't specify Spike's age or model, but I would NOT be rushing into an unnecessary BSI reset. Only high spec T6s can wind the windows up after key is turned off, but I presume your wife knows that ignition must be on for windows to work. As BIGRR says, window problem could be dodgy wiring in door.

Re. the remote locking issue, it really sounds like a weak battery in the fob. I know you've replaced it but what if replacement battery was pre-flattened? This guy has your problem

central locking problem - Peugeot Forums

Unfortunately no solution is posted, but last suggestion is that cheap batteries don't supply enough power even when new...

If it was infrared I'd suggest cleaning the lens or globe of the infrared beam. As it is, if battery really is good, then perhaps the wireless transmitter or receiver is weak (faulty electronics).

Perhaps another possibility (for both problems) is dying car battery? Listen for "bong" sound when first turning key on (no warning light or message). When changing battery you must of course carry out the proper ECU shutdown sequence...

Cheers

Alec

Thanks for the words so far chaps.

Yeah, I read that post on the Peugeot Forums. I'll try a new, more expensive, replacement cell in the fob, but I've already checked voltages etc and it all seems OK. More on that when I get to a shop.

Also yeah, an intermittent in the door controls could indeed be the wiring. Had this problem on Spike's predecessor (Aleria, a 306XT) but you'd reckon that by 2006 they'd come up with a better wiring solution to the door surely? Since i couldn't make the window operation actually fault for me I'll reserve judgment for now.

Oh, and Spike is a 2006 T6 2 litre petrol auto (AL4) hatch. Early spec I think as it doesn't do the "wind up everything on a long press of the button" trick. My 2006 C5 wagon does, but could be notionally a higher spec I imagine.

Why I brought up the BSI reset was a mention I saw elsewhere that seemed to imply that the remote central locking receiver was integral with the (dreaded) COM2000 gadget. Why this would be would only make sense to the original designers I imagine, but is it possible that this is an early sign of failure of that particularly troublesome device perhaps? Since the BSI also (presumably) has oversight of such things as central locking and window control it was a sort of logical leap to make.

Oh, and the spare key is a key only, not with a remote fob incorporated, otherwise I'd do comparisons. The fact that the fob operates to spec when inside the car seems to tell me that the fob functionality is OK, just the range is down.

Keep the thoughts coming please. I'm not giving up yet.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Just a quick one. Put in a brand spanking new Energizer 3V lithium cell, size 1620 (NOT the 2016 size that was shown on a couple of websites!) and guess what....?

No bloody change.

Still works fine from a small distance away from the steering column but not at all from anywhere outside the car.

I think the next thing is going to be a new fob from Uncle Dave's Cheery French Car Emporium in Airport West.

If that doesn't work then I guess I start either (1) looking for the receiver or (2) cop it sweet with Mrs P trading the thing on a hairdressers car!!.

Cheers for now, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

The transmitter becoming weak is a known fault, from memory. I think there is a revised part number for the replacement units.
    Armidillo likes this.

I can't help with the remote (because ours works faultlessly, so there) but our latest 2007 307 HDi auto came with inconsistencies from the drivers window switch panel. Sometime OK, sometimes no auto, occasionally up was down and down was up but only briefly. These problems with both front doors from the drivers panel. I had to pull the trim off the other day as the rear window track bolts and nuts both came off. (One bolt remained in it's hole, both nuts in the bottom of the door but no sign of the other bolt????)

I attempted to dismantle the window switch assembly but couldn't figure out how to remove the mirror selector slider so gave up and put it back in the door. Now the front windows operate perfectly. Obviously the car appreciated my efforts and has rewarded me appropriately.
    Hugh
    Vincenzo likes this.

Update time.

A bit of research, with the help of the ever genial Mr Cavanagh at French Connection, has confirmed that which I first thought, that the keyfob electronics do actually contain the immobiliser "chip" as well as the open/close and radio.

This is easily provable by removing the electronics from the key fob, putting them elsewhere, then trying to start the car with the key. Display beeps and shows "Anti-theft system fault".

Restoring the electronics restored the usual situation, that where the keyfob will happily operate when a few inches away from the steering column, but not from outside the car.

So to my next question. Can anyone confirm or deny the location of the receiver for the remote transmitter?

Anecdotally it's been mentioned as being an integral part of the dreaded, and much maligned, "COM2000" assembly. Can anyone confirm this, with diagrams perhaps?

If i wasn't retired, by now I would probably would have done some RF level tests on the fob as well as a few spectral anlyses, but quite frankly I'm over all that. Now I just want to find out why the damn thing has lost its mojo, if in fact it has, or whether the receiver is taking some time out and a quiet coffee in an obscure corner.

So for now, over to the Brains Trust again. Oh, and I plan to do a dismantle and clean on the window control panel very soon, as that problem appears to be relatively easily addressed.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

The immobiliser chip is read by a peripheral aerial surrounding the column lock. Yes, it is soldered on to the circuit board. The aerial ultimately forwards it's data to the BSI but via the COMM unit data wire pair.

The lock and unlock functions are within the COMM unit and exchange with circuitry on the key fob's circuit board. As mentioned, weak transmitter signals were a known fault within the fob. It's why they were superseded!
    tazfrog likes this.

1000+ Posts

In the key the corresponding chip is (in my case 307 HDi T5) enclosed in a ceramic, I had an issue when I changed key cover, did not put this in and it would not start. Put back ceramic chip (dark grey) and it works. This T5 will put all its windows up with a long hold of close when locking so not limited to later top end T6 307's!.

Good luck.
    Matt
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Time for an update methinks.

The Bullet was Bitten and a brand new fob complete with electronics was purchased and programmed.

Central locking is now back to full operation and life is harmonious again as Mrs P no longer has to do laps of her car when transporting elderly mother and/or grand kids.

Seems llike the transmitter had, as suggested, wimped out.

The window control panel has yet to play up on me so I'm leaving it well alone.

Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Armidillo likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Good work.

I have seen them only function when held over the top of the dash, outside the car, and the worst ones - even with new battery - only work when held behind the steering wheel in front of the clocks.
    tazfrog likes this.

1000+ Posts

Have you seen this, it worked when I had to reprogram a cheap ebay fob

https://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic-2470.html
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thread Information