• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By thomasrc
  • 1 Post By TrinityJayOne

Thread: New frogger saying hi

Tadpole

Default New frogger saying hi

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around for a few months, and decided since I've finally bought my first car it was time to make my first post...

I spent the better part of last year researching a good first car and fairly quickly narrowed it down to the gti6. Around halfway through last year I found what I was looking for, a really clean example just down the road from me, unfortunately the bank dragged me through the dirt and that opportunity fell through, so I sat back and waited.

I somehow managed to find on Christmas Eve, a black, single owner, 100k gti6 for sale (found on Autotrader) and did the dash up to Gosford from Sydney to snag it. There are a few little repairs needed: aircon regas and a sticky clutch pedal which I'm hoping is an easy fix, overall though I'm super excited!

I'm looking forward to many years out of my new pug, but first off to the mech for a well overdue service!

See you round!

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New frogger saying hi-image.jpg  

Looks nice .. welcome
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

Congrats! Hoping to be in the same position soon.

Fellow Frogger!

Very nice! My first car and Pug of choice is also a black GTi6 They're a great bit of fun. Here's a few tips for you from one owner to another.

The clutch cable has an auto-adjuster mechanism which likes to adjust itself to be a useless piece of shit. In RHD models the cable passes by the exhaust manifold and it can dry out the lube. This could well be the cause of your sticky clutch pedal, if what you mean is that it's not returning/you have low travel. Sometimes it isn't stuffed, just needs a kick in the pants to reset the adjuster. You can do this a few ways-

1. Depress the clutch with the edge of your foot, then slide it off the pedal so that it snaps back with some force. Do this a couple of times. (My preferred method)

2. I've read that another way is to put the car into reverse and gently let out the clutch while holding the brakes until the car stalls.

3. Get under the car and unclip the auto-adjuster from its bracket, give the cable a jiggle then reseat it. It lives between the front wheels, just under the firewall.

It would be worth your while to check the front interior courtesy light for water leaks. It's right below the aerial, which has a rubber seal that degenerates over time and lets in water. Very easy to check! The large light pops out with a butterknife, then there's 2 screws that hold the plastic surround in place. Once removed check the inside of the plastic for water, or signs of water (silt & grime). To fix the leak you remove the aerial, bin the now rock-hard rubber seal, then reseal it with the sealant of your choice. I used a silicone RTV, haven't had any issues since.

Get ready for a turning circle that rivals the Titanic! The 306 never had a good turning circle to begin with, and on the GTi6 it's even worse when turning right (yep, the left & right turning circles are different). Have a look up inside the front passenger wheel arch and you'll see why - you're looking at the 6th gear ratio that Peugeot bolted on to the existing 5spd gearbox. Basically it makes tight carparks frustrating, and U-turns become 3-point turns unless you have 3 oncoming lanes to work with.

Despite (because of?) the design quirks they are a fantastic little car. Once you get used to the drive you can have a bit of fun with the passive rear steering
    Grey_Lover likes this.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Tadpole

Thanks for the tips!

I'll have to check under the aerial, pity I didn't check before the beginning of what's turning out to be the wettest January week I can remember.

I'd heard about the turning circle being bad, I didn't realise how bad until I tried a sneaky u turn in a narrow street, needless to say I didn't make it.

In terms of the clutch pedal, it's heavy without being stupid, with the bite point up near the top. The main problem seems to be the pedal itself: rather than a smooth action it seems somewhat jumpy/step-like, I sprayed a little wd40 on the pedal bush which seemed to help a little bit but it's still not at all smooth. Saying that though it could be a combination of both the pedal and the cable so I might just replace both.

Yup clutch cable can snap .. best to replace it
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6

Fellow Frogger!

All 306s have a heavy clutch, you'll get used to it! On the rare occasion that I've driven something else I've nearly put my foot through the firewall Bite point sounds perfect too. It's when you're biting 1cm from the floor that you've got problems - been there, done that!

If the travel feels notchy you could be feeling the braid of the cable, but that shouldn't effect the smoothness of the travel. In my experience it's common to feel the braid of the cable the morning after an extended drive in warm weather, but it disappears after a few applications.

What it might be is a buggered spring that sits on the pedal itself. Stick your head in the footwell and you'll see it close to where the clutch arm goes into the firewall. All that spring does is (supposedly) make the clutch feel 'sportier' (??), but apparently even Peugeot changed their minds and issued a service bulletin for mechanics to remove the thing if a customer ever complained about the clutch. The reason I mention it is that mine was actually broken when I bought it, and as the broken spring tried to compress upon clutch application it would bind against itself and create a notchy feel.
    2000 306 GTi6 'Josie'

Acually .. my n5 xsi clutch was heavy for years without a problem . My gti 6 wasn't as heavy but snapped a cable .
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6

thomasrc,

Welcome to
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information