504 Handbrake, Hardly Working
  • Register
  • Help

504 Handbrake, Hardly Working

Sorry about the continual "Help Me" posts. I am trying to get the pug roadworthy and useable as a daily driver.

I had the handbrake repaired in Feb This year. I got ripped off as it now does not work.

When the lever is at about 80deg, and a lot of pulling the car will stop moving backwards. Is this is a mechanical problem with the ratchet or the tension in the wire? The manual is very vague on how to fix this, and I know even less.

Advertisement

Any Idea's

thanks

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

You've more or less run out of travel?

Crawl underneath with some tools and adjust the cables...

Do you know for sure that the handbrake is working on both calipers? Has someone perhaps replaced the pads without turning the pistons?

If you're still in trouble in a fortnight give me a call...

Sound's like a loose or mal-adjusted cable, but there's nothing like having a good look underneath to be sure.

The handbrake on my 504 needs to be pulled to about 35 to 40 degrees to give good bite. It seems like a reasonable handbrake to me, probably not the best I've come accross, but quite adequate.
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    ADR rules state that the handbrake on a 504 is a parking brake anyway it is not meant to stop the car as an emergency brake
    most 504 handbrakes will only hold the car anyway
    they are not a very good handbrake
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I dont know, my 504s had pretty good handbrakes - good enough smoking u turns on bitumen
    give the calipers a good squirt of wd40 around the handbrakes mech, and adjust the cables.

nJm
    Does the 504 suffer from the same poor design of rear caliper that plagues nearly every 505? My handbrake used to either not work at all or get stuck on (gee that was fun). To get it working it took getting the calipers rebuilt (both needing new pistons), handbrake cables and new rear pads.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm:
    Does the 504 suffer from the same poor design of rear caliper that plagues nearly every 505? .
    They're the same caliper, apart from some detail changes (changes which very late IRS 504s also had).

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

james

From my experience the 504 & 505 need lubrication in the cam actuator within the caliper body. This proceedure is Not covered in the manual! If you inspect them closely you will notice a plastic cap near where the handbrake leaver enters the caliper - this cap can be unscrewed revealing the cam piviot (one end only) as a temp. measure try some wd40 or similar(care not to apply to pads etc.) and replace the plastic cap (note it has a v. fine thread) For a proper job the whole component needs to be disassebled and treated with high temp antisieze - usually in conjunction with caliper overhaul - it is not an easy task but will make a major difference particularly eliminating brake lock on.

Regards

NIMBIN (Ron)
    P.S. If not sure of proceedure call me.

Don't the changes between the 504 and 505 calipers relate mainly to the age and colour of the plastic in the back of them?

I like the idea of lubricating the cam.

I will knock some heads at the place that "fixed it" and demand replacement. If they want money will knock more heads and look at the pistons and cams.

It used to work fairly well.

Not at about 45deg the car can be pushed quite easily.

Not working on both sides, Shall check that out also.

Thanks again.

James
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thread Information