407 st hdi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 407 st hdi

Fellow Frogger!

Default 407 st hdi

Can anyone give me some feedback on owning one of these . Maintenance , Running costs , reliability or any problems they have experienced . Any comments would be greatly appreciated , Thanks very much

Advertisement

Tadpole

They're a good car when running. We've had the odd electrical glitch with ours, as well as a sensor in the turbo go. We bought our 2007 ST HDI Executive SW with 48000km, and its now at 150,000km. We service it ourselves as it is relatively simple to DIY.

Common problem is the brake switch (is a cheap part to DIY), and the air con flap breaking and leading to the aircon failing to change temperature in sync on one side of the car. Is a relatively challenging fix to do DIY, however there are videos on youtube, and the repair at a dealer would require the dash being removed so it's more than just expensive. We repaired ours a month ago with only a moderate level of swearing.

As far as maintenance, nothing unusual. Just standard servicing, and ensure the tires are rotated. The leather is susceptible to wear if not conditioned regularly, however this is similar to all cars. Also cars at around 150,000km will need an EOLYS refill which can be expensive. Timing belt from memory is 9 years/180,000km.

The former Peugeot dealer we had in Hobart was incompetent, and we have heard of horror stories from the one closest to home through friends (Launceston). Best to find an independent mechanic.

Overall, we've had a relatively trouble free period over the 100,000km we have had the vehicle. It has been comfortable and effortless on the highway as well as around town. Definitely the ST executive is the sweet spot as the V6 and V6 HDI are harder to work on, and have worse ride due to thinner wheels.

Averages for economy have been in the 6s and 7s per 100 km. If you want a tow bar, get a car with it installed already, as it is quite expensive to add post-purchase as we did.

As far as daily use, the only thing to be mindful of is that the nose (front overhang) is longer than expected, and not helped by a lack of front parking sensors. Scrapes on the front are not unusual.

Definitely avoid the 4 speed autos, as the AL4 has a terrible reputation and I have experienced mine crapping itself at 82,000km in my former Citroen HDI. The 6 speed auto is relatively trouble free, and the 6 speed manual is fine apart from utilising a very expensive clutch and flywheel.

Also, as the windscreen is enormous, ensure you have it as part of your insurance. We have cracked several due to stone spray, and due to the rain/light sensors, cost a not-insignificant sum to replace.

I feel as if I'm rambling now, so I will stop.
    Feel free to ask any specific questions,

Regards,
    Callum

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Callum , Your comments line up with my expectations . It is a 4 cylinder with a 6 speed auto I am considering . The car I am looking at has only 80,000km but it is 2007 so a timing belt is due by your reckoning . Do remember the cost of having yours changed . With the front overhang is it very difficult to get to the sump plug for the engine ,

Regards , Keith

Tadpole

Hi Keith,

If the car has 80,000km, be sure that if it was a city car, that it was driven at highway speed to clean the DPF. Regarding servicing and the timing belt, (it's my parent's car that my father and I DIY on) I haven't heard any complaints regarding difficulty of servicing from my father, so I presume it is easier than my 2007 Saab 9-3 TID which is a pain (dare I mention that car on this forum).

Consumables such as filters and parts are best purchased online for DIY if you are wanting to save money. The timing belt in ours will be replaced later this year, and I believe my father will do that as a DIY. From memory, my Citroen with the earlier diesel 2 litre, was about 1800 for the timing belt from the stealer. Parts online look to be about $500 dollars for the Peugeot job, so I'd assume something similar to the Citroen depending on labour.

Regards,

Callum

P.S, a known issue with the 6 speed is a rough second to third change from memory. This requires replacement solenoids (I may be wrong). I only remember this as it has appeared on the forum a few times, however I have never had the issue. Other minor yet common issues from memory include screen failure, although others may be able to provide more info about those particular faults.

We have a 2007 hdi 6 speed auto with 80,000. We bought it about 5 yrs ago. The four problems have been:
    * leaking injector return - fixed;
    * driver side engine mount - fixed;
    * engine surging - fixed after multiple failed attempts by different repairers;
    * rough engine idle - not fixed.

The engine surging had something to do with the EGR. I spent a lot of time and money trying to get this resolved.

I've tried a couple of repairers to fix the rough idle. I haven't spent much time on it as its slightly annoying more than a failure.

Other than the above its a very nice car.

I forgot, the centre instrument/radio screen also died. I picked up a new one on eBay - very easy to fit and quite inexpensive.

Tadpole

Default Waoffrog

Quote Originally Posted by keithm View Post
    Can anyone give me some feedback on owning one of these . Maintenance , Running costs , reliability or any problems they have experienced . Any comments would be greatly appreciated , Thanks very much
    I have a 2005 407 2. l hdi auto wagon, bought it 2nd hand in 2010. The only trouble I have had with it is this issue of engine surging and I have 'learn't to manage it and have recently blanked off the ERG valve and am waiting to see if that has solved the problem. The vehicle had done 56,000 km when I bought it and has now done 174,000. I find it drives beautifully and it has been driven Perth to Melb (and back) twice and another trip is being talked about for late this year. Cruising is what it does best, but general driving is a pleasure as well and, the way I drive, it returns between 7.2 to 7.8 l/100Km, on the trips it does 6.2 l/100Km.

I had to replace the central display as it it would loose its definition with heat. I bought one from a guy in Estonia, they like Peugeot 407's (and other models) there. It was from a 2007 model which had fixed the problem by then. It was easy to fit and it now withstands the heat in W.A.

I have also changed the timing belt and water pump at 140,000 Km, imported both (and for wife's old 306) from the UK and a very much reduced cost to that from the best source I could find in Oz.

So, this is my experience with the 407. I have seen others on the web who have had problems, but from what I am aware of they are no worse than a range of other vehicle ranging from the high reputation to the low.

Good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

1000+ Posts

Welcome to Aussie Frogs, and thanks for sharing your experience!

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Ended up buying a 2008 wagon 2litre HDI 6 speed auto . All going well at the moment . A lovely car to look at and drive . Reversing lights are not the best I have had but that is insignificent . I have never fealt safer in this one . Only doing stop start driving so the fuel consumption is up a little but I have no doubt on long runs it will be as frugal as expected. Has 200,000k up but the timing belt has been replaced and water pump checked so that won't need doing for a while . Intending to use Penrite oil of the right grade , any comments about that

Thread Information