Replacing Indicator Bulbs With LEDs - has anyone done it?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Replacing Indicator Bulbs With LEDs - has anyone done it?

Hello everyone,

I have discovered that the contacts inside the headlight indicators have burnt out (and I mean the contacts inside the headlights themselves, not the contacts on the removable bulb holders). I can either repair the contacts and use the same bulbs (and most likely experience the same problem further down the track), or I can replace the bulbs with long-lasting LEDs.

Now, I am aware that the current through the bulbs is measured by the BSI to determine if there is a 'blown bulb' detected. If the current is too low, the BSI considers the bulb to be blown, and flashes the indicators for that side at a faster rate (the BSI is trying to say "warning Will Robinson!"). What I'd like to do is to find out what current the BSI needs in order to consider the bulbs to be working... I can then make up a resistor network with an LED so that the BSI has the minimum required current to be happy, the LED has enough current to be happy, and I can be happy that I will never, ever, have to touch the indicators again!

Advertisement

Any ideas? If the bulbs are PY21W they draw nearly 2 amps...

Thanks,

Ewan

1000+ Posts

Can you tell us what car you are working on ,thee flasher can is going to be looking for a load equivalent to the wattage of the standard globes to flash at the correct rate ,is it a track on the inside of the headlight thats burnt out ,i have some excellent headlights from an early scenic if thats what you are after pugs

Fellow Frogger!

The reflectors and lenses of the assembly are designed for the filament/bulb, if you change to LEDs you will likely change the pattern of light emitted which will fail the ADRs, which also have tight limits on brightness. It's likely to be fine unless you end up in an accident and the insurer decides they won't cover you.
    406 HDi

Hello everyone,

the car in question is a 2005 Peugeot 307 Hdi. It doesn't have a flasher can as such - the BSI seems to take care of all the flash timing.

As for the ADR aspect - I will look into that. I consider that there is sufficient variance in the output of light from an incandescent globe compared to an LED, so it won't be that much of an issue, however the light output pattern will be more critical. Incandescents have a far more even light dispersal whereas LEDs project light through the front primarily.

Thanks,

Ewan

Fellow Frogger!

Ewan, you might find the following website, ADR6, of help -- especially regarding the angles of light emittance for indicator lamps.
    https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006C00784

Pavel

1000+ Posts

My wife drives the same car let us know what you come up with ,pugs

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Moore View Post
    Ewan, you might find the following website, ADR6, of help -- especially regarding the angles of light emittance for indicator lamps.
    https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006C00784

Pavel
    Most interesting. Thanks for that, it explains a lot about vehicle lighting requirements.

(Another) Ewan

Thread Information