504 Tyres & Shocks
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

504 Tyres & Shocks

My recently aquired 504 TI needs new rubber and a respected local tyre shop says that 185 75 14 Michelin will not give any advantage over standard 175 80 14 Michelin. He had similar comments about shocks - stay with standard (Aliquant)for optimal performance.
    Any comments please about a good tyre/shock combo. And are alloy wheels worthwhile? (assuming I can find a brand that fits).
    I have replaced all rubber bushing in front suspension.

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor
    In Melbourne we can get near new 175/80 Michelins, H rated and made in France for $65 each!
    They are taken off new Golfs when the owner orders low profile tyres and mags.
    Original shockers are not Allinquants.
    For the rears go to the wreckers and get original shockers off 505 STIs or GTIs, they are unbeatable even though they will be 15 years old!
    Allinquants are OK in the front, not the rear though, and surprisingly Australian Monroe gas are great in the front, not the imported ones however, which are as bad as Gabriel, a brand to be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately the Australian Monroes are only made for early (pre 1976 struts)and spacers will need to be added for later cars.

Regards, Graham Wallis

I think Alliquant are the way to go at the front. I'm just about to fit some to mine. I've had Gabriels on the front for the past 130,000km, without any real problems or side effects, but they are nothing special and nowhere near as firm as the other shocks.

The KYB gas shocks I have at the rear seem to work well, but as Graham said, I think 15 year old 505 GTi shocks would be better.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

[quote]Originally posted by GRAHAM WALLIS:
    <strong>.... Unfortunately the Australian Monroes are only made for early (pre 1976 struts)and spacers will need to be added for later cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wish you'd told me that a lot sooner!

185's will make the steering heavier, increase rolling resistance, and will not handle as well in the wet as 175's. Seeing as it's relatively easy to reach a 504's limits in the wet (oversteer), but very hard to find its limits on dry roads, it seems sensible to go for the 175's.

I'm using Continental 175/80 EcoContacts on the front of my 504. I don't like them as much as the Michelin 155 MX's which I had on my Renault 16, although it's not really fair to compare tires when they are on different cars. The Michelins seem to absorb short sharp bumps better and have better directional stability than the Conti's. My rears are cheap, noisy, generics which I will replace with something decent when they wear out, probably Michelins this time.

I don't know anything in particular about 504 shocks. But, in general, no-one knows how to match shocks and springs better than the French, so I would be surprised if any non-original shock will improve a pug with original specification springs. Does anyone reading this know of the typical life expectancy of the standard 504 shocks? And did the Australian built 504's have the same shocks as their French built counterparts?

<small>[ 19 January 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: frogs4ever ]</small>
    2004 Clio Expression Verve 4sp auto -
    1984 Fuego GTX 5 speed (now a write off) -
    1976 504 GL auto (sold)

French cars, Australian wine.

They did... I'm sure they did.

I've found that the originals can last a very long time, in fact, they rarely actually wear out.

I suspect that many are replaced for no good reason.

Thread Information