2005 Peugeot 307 HDi "anti-pollution fault" and power very limited since
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesH

Thread: 2005 Peugeot 307 HDi "anti-pollution fault" and power very limited since

Tadpole

Default 2005 Peugeot 307 HDi "anti-pollution fault" and power very limited since

Dear Aussiefrogs,
    I need your help! :/

I have a 2005 Peugeot 307 HDi (135,000K)and the engine light has come on with error on the central screen “anti-pollution fault” and the turbo boost/power is very limited since.
    The car starts and idles (and revs) perfect though.

As this was a city car (now moved to country), I assumed (perhaps erroneously) a blocked DPF but thought id also read off the fault codes first (using MS509):
    P1597: ?
    P1579: ETC in power limiting mode
    P2565: Turbo boost control position sensor A circuit high
    P1461: A/C pressure sensor circuit voltage low
    P0472: Exhaust pressure sensor low
    P1457: Unable to pull vacuum from tank
    P2563: Turbo boost control position sensor A circuit Range/performance

I put it on the hoist and removed the DPF, pressure cleaned it out, reinstalled. The Eolys tank has about 400mls left and when I removed the output hose fluid came out so I assume it’s enough to pickup (will plan to top this up anyway)
    Cleared the above codes and test drove, it pulled like a train again like new. Then after 3kms same fault “anti-pollution fault” flashed up and MIL illuminated and the turbo boost/very reduced power again.
    Re-read fault codes and got:
    P2563: Turbo boost control position sensor A circuit Range/performance

Advertisement

Does “anti-pollution fault” always point to DPF? Or should the DPF be mentioned in the fault codes?
    My guesses so far are:
    EGR fault? (would the fault codes mention EGR if this was the case?)
    Vacuum system leak/fault (from Robs thread my plastic T looks ok, I could take it off to do very close inspection however may break it doing so :/) (brakes are working well)
    Turbo control issue: wastegate rod unscrewed, turbo repeat sensor fault, boost solenoid? (Would a turbo control issue cause a “anti-pollution fault” error?
    Dreaded DPF replacement (interestingly it looks as though the previous owner replaced it), although there are no DPF warning lights illuminated on the dash..
    DPF pressure differential sensor

Im very lost and thoroughly appreciate any advice anyone may have
    Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!

1000+ Posts

I looked up some of the codes in the French manual.

Solenoid
    P1579 Electrovanne de dégazage S2RE : circuit ouvert
    P1597 Electrovanne de débit proportionnelle S2RE : circuit ouvert

Exhaust Pressure Sensor
    P0472 Dépassement des valeurs limites MIN (= tension trop faible) du Capteur pression différentielle FAP

Turbo (not enough boost, feedback sensor)
    P2563 Ecart de boucle locale (position TGV) négatif : pas assez de suralimentation
    P2565 Tension > max sur le capteur de recopie du TGV

FAP/DPF
    P1457 FAP absent, Défaut informant l'APV ou le Conducteur qu'un
    Nettoyage du FAP est nécessaire (basé sur la charge en cendre du FAP et la distance parcourue depuis le dernier changement FAP)

You seem to have more than FAP/DPF trouble, though that was flagged.

PS I thought I knew the state, but Bostobrick stumped me. Welcome to AF.
    Last edited by seasink; 22nd December 2015 at 04:09 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks Seasink
    That's very interesting (and a headache). I wonder if "degassing solenoid" is french for Wastegate or EGR

1000+ Posts

I think it's water on the 307. These diagrams are available on Peugeot servicebox. You also have a turbo sensor message.

2005 Peugeot 307 HDi "anti-pollution fault" and power very limited since-screenshot-15.jpg

2005 Peugeot 307 HDi "anti-pollution fault" and power very limited since-screenshot-15.jpg

S2RE is the computer controlled cooling (compared to old wax thermostats)
    Last edited by seasink; 22nd December 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Mym
    Tadpole

Hi James, you seem to have had same issue I'm having, how did you resolve it? Thanks in advance

Tadpole

Hi Mym,
    It was the EGR valve. Upon investigation it turns out the previous owner had blanked it off – I assume he had trouble with it sticking open and didn’t want to fit a new one so he blanked it off so the car was drivable (and sellable..)The computer won’t know if you blank off (no errors) but it will raise the “anti-pollution fault” if it actually seizes. The valve gets a hard time with all the heat and soot.
    The reason the car went into ‘limp mode’ was not due to the valve being blanked but because the valve seized and the computer could not open and close it, and is set to go into cut power mode.
    To fix: A genuine valve from a Peugeot Dealer is $820 (if you have a mechanic fit it, they’ll often add a small cut to that as well..) and fitting is about 6hrs labour on the 2L so you can come out with a hefty bill depending on hourly rate.
    I bought an after-market unit from UK on eBay for AU$216 delivered (2wks) and fitted myself (took a day of stuffing around), cleared error codes and all is well
    FOR Peugeot 307 308 407 508 607 807 Expert 2 0 HDI EGR Valve 6M5Q9D475AA | eBay
    Additionally, the FAP (diesel exhaust particulate filter) sensor (not the filter) was also faulty, a common part to also fail on these cars. This is mounted on the brake booster (passenger side) behind the battery box. Genuine one is $167 inc GST so I purchased the same valve on ebay for $76 delivered from Poland I think.
    From my experience, the Achilles heel of these diesel (and other makes) cars is the emissions control systems. 90% of the time “anti-pollution fault” will be either:
    EGR valve (seized or nearly)
    Diesel particulate filter (FAP – in French speak) loading
    Diesel particulate filter sensor
    Additive tank – either smashed from debris (because its in the stupidest place you could imagine and has no metal protection – seriously WTF) or low/empty
    Fuel cap sensor faulty (actuates the fuel additive injection to the tank upon fill)
    If I was to make a recommendation to minimize the chance of being stranded it would be replace the EGR before it seizes (probably between 100,000 – 150,000kms), perhaps when the timing belt is done @ 120,000.
    A seized open EGR valve will cause stalling at low engine revs and great difficulty starting, if its becoming seized (slow to open and close) or is leaky, this will cause surging revs at best, stalling at worst. So it will depend on exactly what your symptoms are as to whether it’s your EGR or one of the other points above. If you are handy and have a OBD code reader (available from ebay also) you can read the error codes off and post to the forum for explanation.
    Kind Regards,
    James
    addo likes this.

Thread Information