Child seat in a 206 GTi 180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Child seat in a 206 GTi 180

Default Child seat in a 206 GTi 180

I know it's a bit of stretch finding others who were in the same situation, but here goes.

This isn't a joke. Got a 206 GTi 180, baby is on the way.

I'm thinking of getting a car seat that fits behind me but without affecting my space. The one I tried, Mother's Choice cherish, forced me to move my seat so forward it's like I'm crouching.

Advertisement

I'm interested in the experience of others.

Thank you.

In Australia: ‘05 206 GTi 180 and '97 406 v6
    In Lebanon: ‘09 C3 Exclusive

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

That's compromising your safety, which is definitely not a good outcome. Have you looked at what's offered in Europe, where many people have cars the 206's size?

This site provide physical dimensions for various baby capsules. Find a small one and test fit for size at a supplier would be my suggestion:- Baby Capsules Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

Good luck
    addo likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

So where does the pram and baby gear go

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    So where does the pram and baby gear go
    In the boot? Not too worried about that TBH. Fitting a seat in the 206 is just for the rare event.

I've doing some research. Seems that a baby capsule might fit and allow enough room for the driver, but not a convertible seat. I could of course fit either behind the passenger seat which will be pushed forward. I'll just to have to double check that there's an anchor point on the left hand side in the boot.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    That's compromising your safety, which is definitely not a good outcome. Have you looked at what's offered in Europe, where many people have cars the 206's size?
    Yes I realised this. I would still be about 30cm from the steering wheel but for me it feels too close.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Pug4eva View Post
    In the boot? Not too worried about that TBH. Fitting a seat in the 206 is just for the rare event.

I've doing some research. Seems that a baby capsule might fit and allow enough room for the driver, but not a convertible seat. I could of course fit either behind the passenger seat which will be pushed forward. I'll just to have to double check that there's an anchor point on the left hand side in the boot.
    G'day,
    there is one on each side of the boot.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    there is one on each side of the boot.
    Yeah, seems like they only have 1 anchor bolt and that's installed behind the driver side. The other side has a screw in cap. I'll check if an anchor bolt can be installed.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Yeah, seems like they only have 1 anchor bolt and that's installed behind the driver side. The other side has a screw in cap. I'll check if an anchor bolt can be installed.
    Definitely one on the passenger side. Have installed a seat in my 180 in the past. It's also safer to access from passenger side when exiting vehicle.

Dave
    pug206gti, addo and flurry like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lisaskye View Post
    Definitely one on the passenger side. Have installed a seat in my 180 in the past. It's also safer to access from passenger side when exiting vehicle.

Dave
    I double checked. Only one on the right. To install the left it needs to be bolted/nuted which requires finding the hole from under beneath the car.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

After some research and asking around, here's what I found.

It seems the only and most realistic option is hiring a simple capsule from Kidsafe ACT for 60 dollars for 6 months and this includes fitting.

The capsule is compact enough (just 54cm deep and 43cm wide) and leaves enough space to have the driver seat in a comfortable position. The Mother's Choice Cherish is 64cm deep and the rebound bar cannot lay flat on the rear seats back because of their curved shape.

The simple capsule is better than the pram-compatible ones that are double in cost because the outings in the 206 in the first few months are probably going to be very rare to begin with. We live near the city, everything is a walking distance. And if we must go somewhere we'll probably rely on a carrier (like Ergobaby) rather than a pram.

I know this isn't the typical AF thread.
    addo likes this.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

I'm pleased you're not "justifying" the new-found need to go everywhere in a Prado or bigger. And cheering the idea of someone with an inquiring mind, being a parent.
    Pug4eva and FedGrapes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I'm pleased you're not "justifying" the new-found need to go everywhere in a Prado or bigger. And cheering the idea of someone with an inquiring mind, being a parent.
    Hey thanks!

Funny how you mentioned the Prado. A research I conducted a while ago, which I haven't yet published: in Australia there's a strong correlation (>0.8) between births and sales of new 4wd over the last 10 years.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

I hope you have a second car for longer trips. We have a 208GTi as the second car and it was a primary car for a while when we loaned our Forester to a friend after they hit a roo and had no other car with 2 little ones. We put the seat on the passenger side rather than driver as there is a little more room for the passenger seat to move forward and a bit easier to get them in and out. A 2 door car becomes a pain in the butt realllllllly quickly when strapping kids in and out all the time with the larger doors being a real problem in car parks, the constant seat adjustments getting in and out and just reaching back in there to secure them in. It can be done, we did it for a while but my son was forward facing by then. Make sure you get a smaller pram model too. We had a Strider plus and that bastard almost needed a trailer to lug behind. Left no room for anything else in the boot.
    Pug4eva likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Forget the carseats you can buy locally. There absolutely shithouse compared to the ISOFIX seats. I imported an isofix seat from germany. It's nothing short of brilliant.

Aussie baby seats

I'd suggest importing one. Just to protect the local industry the local ISOFIX seats now legal have bloody tethers on them. FFS: I have a european seat here. I could carry the car would with it if I hooked up the engine crane. The local requirement for tether straps is ludicrous and without doubt designed to protect the local industry from imports.

Look at the way they flex and twist in the crash tests .... But they are mechanicaly locked into position .... so don't move at all. The local seats "kind of" strapped into place would flop all over the back seat, especially given you have to wait for the inertia belts to lock up and allow all that slop into the show not to mention belt stretch (that is IF it is installed correctly).

I just googled it ... my german made isofix seat isn't legal here at all still. Though all the chinese made seats sold locally will be ...... sigh ......

Child car seats that comply with the Australian/New Zealand Standard for child restraints (AS/NSZ 1754), including ISOFIX compatible child car seats, are different to child car seats from overseas.

For example, AS/NZS 1754 child car seats are required to:

have a top tether strap (that is independently tested for strength)
    have a rebound prevention feature (to keep a rearward facing child car seat in the correct position in a crash)
    be tested in a side impact (in the event of a side impact crash)
    be tested in an inverted position to test for occupant ejection (to ensure the child is not ejected from their child car seat if the vehicle rolls).
    It will continue to be illegal to use an ISOFIX compatible child car seat from overseas.
    I will repeat. A tether strap fitted to these ISOFIX seats will do absolutely NOTHING. You have no idea how well it locks into the cars structure until you try one. Stop rebound ?? The only way the seat could rebound is if the entire arse end of the car is torn off.

The space inside a poogoe 407 is absolutey pathetic, there is bugger all rear leg room, absolutely no head room.... my head sits wedged against the sunroof opening even in the front seat (and I'm only a small guy) ... yet the front seat still have plenty of room with the proper isofix seat fitted.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 23rd December 2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Pug4eva likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    I hope you have a second car for longer trips. We have a 208GTi as the second car and it was a primary car for a while when we loaned our Forester to a friend after they hit a roo and had no other car with 2 little ones. We put the seat on the passenger side rather than driver as there is a little more room for the passenger seat to move forward and a bit easier to get them in and out. A 2 door car becomes a pain in the butt realllllllly quickly when strapping kids in and out all the time with the larger doors being a real problem in car parks, the constant seat adjustments getting in and out and just reaching back in there to secure them in. It can be done, we did it for a while but my son was forward facing by then. Make sure you get a smaller pram model too. We had a Strider plus and that bastard almost needed a trailer to lug behind. Left no room for anything else in the boot.
    Thanks for the advice. I will be parting with the 406 and getting something more recent - or even new like a W176 or a 6R Polo. It's a shame really, the 406 is such a nice cruiser and very spacious in the back, but lacks the anchor points. I think the only needed car trips will be to a GP, that's if we don't move providers to a clinic around the corner.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Forget the carseats you can buy locally. There absolutely shithouse compared to the ISOFIX seats. I imported an isofix seat from germany. It's nothing short of brilliant.

Aussie baby seats

I'd suggest importing one. Just to protect the local industry the local ISOFIX seats now legal have bloody tethers on them. FFS: I have a european seat here. I could carry the car would with it if I hooked up the engine crane. The local requirement for tether straps is ludicrous and without doubt designed to protect the local industry from imports.

Look at the way they flex and twist in the crash tests .... But they are mechanicaly locked into position .... so don't move at all. The local seats "kind of" strapped into place would flop all over the back seat, especially given you have to wait for the inertia belts to lock up and allow all that slop into the show not to mention belt stretch (that is IF it is installed correctly).

I just googled it ... my german made isofix seat isn't legal here at all still. Though all the chinese made seats sold locally will be ...... sigh ......

I will repeat. A tether strap fitted to these ISOFIX seats will do absolutely NOTHING. You have no idea how well it locks into the cars structure until you try one. Stop rebound ?? The only way the seat could rebound is if the entire arse end of the car is torn off.

The space inside a poogoe 407 is absolutey pathetic, there is bugger all rear leg room, absolutely no head room.... my head sits wedged against the sunroof opening even in the front seat (and I'm only a small guy) ... yet the front seat still have plenty of room with the proper isofix seat fitted.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane,
    I agree with your points. The strap tied to an anchor point is useless in the presence of ISOFIX. The AU standard is quite lacking. I messaged the importers of Cybex seats (check out Sirona i-size) who said it will probably take them a year to certify it to AU standards - even though these are far less stringent than the EU.

I was contemplating getting one from EU as well, but couldn't justify the cost (about 700) and that we can't try it out before buying - aside from the legal issues that might face if get caught (I know it's remote but who knows?!).

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

I double checked. Only one on the right. To install the left it needs to be bolted/nuted which requires finding the hole from under beneath the car.
    It shouldn't be like this - it should have a proper anchor point to have complied with ADRs. You should simply be able to remove it from the driver's side and screw it into the passenger side.

This info also has be in the manual somewhere - usually the local service booklet or the "Australian supplement". It contains instructions on where the points are and how to fit seat tethers, etc.

I had a baby capsule in the GTi180 for a week or two. As mentioned it really should be on the passenger side so as to be able to get bub from the footpath side. The hard back on the 180 seats does make things a little tighter.

Edit: There was actually three points on mine, although technically there only needed to be two as it's only got two seats in the back.

Here is a pic with mine in the centre position:

Child seat in a 206 GTi 180-206babyanchor.jpg
    Last edited by SLC206; 23rd December 2015 at 01:31 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi Shane,
    I agree with your points. The strap tied to an anchor point is useless in the presence of ISOFIX. The AU standard is quite lacking. I messaged the importers of Cybex seats (check out Sirona i-size) who said it will probably take them a year to certify it to AU standards - even though these are far less stringent than the EU.

I was contemplating getting one from EU as well, but couldn't justify the cost (about 700) and that we can't try it out before buying - aside from the legal issues that might face if get caught (I know it's remote but who knows?!).
    No, there not quite that expensive:

Concord Ultimax 3 Isofix Autositz Kindersitz Design 2015 Farbe Wδhlbar | eBay

This looks like the one. They are nothing short of brilliant! Looks to be about $580 delivered.... Worth every cent of that it is too. The aussie currency was at an all time high when we bought the one here, so it was cheaper than a lot of the fancy fluffy ones locally.

Actually, when is your baby due ..... David is nearly to big for ours ... if your talking another 6months we may have to downgrade to a local seat.

BTW: This is how compact that seat is when reverse facing

The drivers seat is fully back in the poogoe 407 too. It *just* touches the top of the seat, and sitting in the drivers seat I can't reach the pedals

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 23rd December 2015 at 02:46 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    It shouldn't be like this - it should have a proper anchor point to have complied with ADRs. You should simply be able to remove it from the driver's side and screw it into the passenger side.

This info also has be in the manual somewhere - usually the local service booklet or the "Australian supplement". It contains instructions on where the points are and how to fit seat tethers, etc.

I had a baby capsule in the GTi180 for a week or two. As mentioned it really should be on the passenger side so as to be able to get bub from the footpath side. The hard back on the 180 seats does make things a little tighter.

Edit: There was actually three points on mine, although technically there only needed to be two as it's only got two seats in the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206babyanchor.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	78590
    The reason the baby seat generally goes behind the driver, is if you have any other kids, it blocks the drivers side rear door and stops the older children trying to get out traffic side. So it really only matters if you have more than one child

If you can't find the anchor points, a lot of cars hide them on the roof at the back .... Any rear impact would completely obliterate them ... So IMO it's crazyness to have them there.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The reason the baby seat generally goes behind the driver, is if you have any other kids, it blocks the drivers side rear door and stops the older children trying to get out traffic side. So it really only matters if you have more than one child

If you can't find the anchor points, a lot of cars hide them on the roof at the back .... Any rear impact would completely obliterate them ... So IMO it's crazyness to have them there.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Actually thought having the baby behind the driver is more logical as it's easier to remove/put into the sit from inside the car, and exiting will always be kerb side. Due to the B pillar position it would be quite difficult to access the child seat from the side it's installed.

Baby is expected late April/early May. Will definitely be using the Kidsafe capsule for the first 3 months, we're then going overseas for an extended period and won't be back probably until September/October.

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	206babyanchor.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	78590
    G'day,
    just had a look at mine. Only two fixtures, but there is a rubber plug in the middle where your third one is.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    just had a look at mine. Only two fixtures, but there is a rubber plug in the middle where your third one is.
    You will have one for each seat then. Just pull the plug and the mount will be there. The actual bolt/clip is usually not fitted in my experience and you have to purchase it separately.

It's only a tether point. No big deal, I've added it to most of my old cars just by drilling a hole in the parcel shelf/floor and plating the bottom side so it can't pull through in the event of an accident

seeya,
    Shane L.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Icon6

You will have one for each seat then. Just pull the plug and the mount will be there. The actual bolt/clip is usually not fitted in my experience and you have to purchase it separately.
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    G'day,
    I think three baby seats in the back of the 18E would be a little crowded. There are only two seats and seat belts, so it could be a little illegal as well.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug

Well shoot. I just found out that the 406 has 3 anchor points (this isn't mentioned anywhere in the handbook btw). So a huge relief. The 406 rear is so spacious.

I've seen Shane's post about the simple capsule and how it lacks any fixture/seatbelt attachment at the bottom. I don't like how it wobbles like a rocker! Place a human being inside and go around a corner, I feel it could tip over since it's not fixed at the bottom.

Ref: Aussie baby seats

All in Silver

Previously '01 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information