air bag fault after fixing indicator problem.
  • Register
  • Help
    UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Default air bag fault after fixing indicator problem.

Indicators on the 206GTi have been playing up recently.
    Tried a shot of contact cleaner with only short term effect, so today I removed the comm2000 unit (a delphi model) and cleaned all the contact surfaces carefully.
    I followed instructions from youtube and this aussiefrogs thread

I now have working indicators. Unfortunately I also have the airbag light on.

Advertisement

So the questions:
    Once light is on, does it remain on until reset in pp2000, or does it check and reset every time the car is started?

What are likely causes? I shall check the connectors are all properly seated and pins in correct places, seems most likely I have a dodgy connection. AFAIK there are two airbag connectors on the back of the comm2000 unit and two more on the front to connect to the airbag unit itself.

Will report back once I have diagnosed it in more detail.

Apart from this problem, it was a pretty straightforward process.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM View Post
    Indicators on the 206GTi have been playing up recently.
    Tried a shot of contact cleaner with only short term effect, so today I removed the comm2000 unit (a delphi model) and cleaned all the contact surfaces carefully.
    I followed instructions from youtube and this aussiefrogs thread

I now have working indicators. Unfortunately I also have the airbag light on.

So the questions:
    Once light is on, does it remain on until reset in pp2000, or does it check and reset every time the car is started?

What are likely causes? I shall check the connectors are all properly seated and pins in correct places, seems most likely I have a dodgy connection. AFAIK there are two airbag connectors on the back of the comm2000 unit and two more on the front to connect to the airbag unit itself.

Will report back once I have diagnosed it in more detail.

Apart from this problem, it was a pretty straightforward process.
    It wont need reseting they check the system each start up. A scan tool should tell you where the problem is. It sounds to me more like when you put it back together the slip ring for the airbag wasn't on its right revolution. Therefore when you turned the steering wheel the cables within have snapped. Ive done this on a 307 once, I was so careful to count the revolutions and make sure it was right, turns out it wasnt. Was then up for a new coms2000 unit. Hopefully this isn't the case.
    Good luck
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    It wont need reseting they check the system each start up. A scan tool should tell you where the problem is. It sounds to me more like when you put it back together the slip ring for the airbag wasn't on its right revolution. Therefore when you turned the steering wheel the cables within have snapped.
    The slip ring didn't move - it was taped in place during disassembly, as recommended by at least one of the youtube videos.

Turns out that the left hand connector between the steering wheel airbag module and the ribbon connector to the comm2000 was not properly seated. Disconnecting and reseating the connector fixed it. The airbag light then went out at next startup (phew!). Nice easy fix.

A couple of points (might add them to one of the threads on comm2000):

When unplugging connectors it was not immediately obvious how to unplug some of them. The two on the airbag module itself unplug directly outward, radially away from the wheel - they do NOT slide backward. There is a slot to slide a flat blade screwdriver in, which then releases a clip that can be used to pull the connector outward. Reassembly involves pushing the connector until it clicks, then pushing this locking tab back in place.

The electrical connections for the indicators, headlight flash, washers and wipers are very small, like some seen in electronic devices. They use a slider piece (similar in size/shape to a micro sim card holder from a mobile phone) which has tiny gold plated fingers to make contact with the main board. Because they are small, the tiniest piece of grit or wear can cause poor contact. I actually swapped the indicator and the wiper ones over, so that there would be a small change in alignment between the board and the slider contact. don't know if it made any difference, or if cleaning did the trick, but all is good now.

Alignment of the sliders with the stalks is important, especially for the headlight flash/windscreen wipe which are hard to see when reassembling. take care and double check everything.

I may well be visiting the wreckers soon for other reasons, so might get a chance to take a few photos of the relevant components.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Grrr!!!

All worked fine, lent car to my brother in law, next day apparently it is doing the same again - indicators not working, occasionally do when stalk tapped by hand.

So,...

Are all comm2000 units for MUX cars interchangeable? Do I need to watch for a specific model? Mine is a delphi unit.

Also, if i find a car with cruise control at the wreckers, can I activate that on mine with pp2000, or are there other components required? I suspect it does require a few other parts rather than just the stalk.

With regards cruise control, it will need to be a late model 206 with an electronic throttle, with a clutch pedal switch and a brake pedal switch. You'd also need a cruise control stalk (obviously). It's possible a compatible COM2000 with a cruise control stalk connector is available, but it all seems a bit chancy.

I don't believe the 206 ever had cruise (even in Europe) - that appeared on the 207 in 2007.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    With regards cruise control, ...

it all seems a bit chancy.
    Ta muchly for the advice. Might be worth tinkering if no extra cost, otherwise I wont bother.

Still seems weird to have a 3 door with central locking, auto wipers, auto headlights, electric headlight adjustment, climate air-con and yet no cruise control.

It was my only gripe with the GTi180, when I owned it. I did 25k a year in it and it definitely needed cruise.

When the 207 GTi came along I was very happy that it had cruise control.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information