Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MR604
  • 1 Post By Dano
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 2 Post By Peter Chisholm
  • 1 Post By MR604

Thread: Barn find 404

Default Barn find 404

The other week a friend linked me to an ad for a 404 that had been sitting in a shed for 20 years, that was local. At first I told myself I wasn't interested, but ended up contacting the poster of the ad to have a look at the car. As it turned out, the car was last registered in 1983 and has been in the shed since. The body is straight and fairly rust free, bar some surface rust.
    The motor is seized, but that means I can put in a 2ltr motor I have. The rest of the drive train is an unknown and the brakes need doing.
    The interior is good, with some of the seat stitching rotting, some door trims are marked and there is a hole in the headlining at the drivers spot. You can see where rats have been squatting, but good for an original fifty year old car.
    So today the I got car to my place and after a wash of the outside, I'm pretty happy.

Advertisement

GreenBlood and okalford like this.
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila. - Mitch Radcliffe

It is amazing what turns up when your not looking.
    okalford likes this.

A good find and I see a 504 lurking in the background waiting for something.

Peter,

The 1st under bonnet shot looks like someone has been replacing the head welch plugs ?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Lovely!

Can you consider sending me the VIN by private message, so I can add the car to the 404 Club's Registry?
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Patina central. With a careful repair to the NSF guard and a light buff it should be a $4K car all day long.

How wonderful! You'll have fun with that one

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Beautiful find.
    My Grandma had a dark grey 404, and before that a light grey 403. Probably long gone to scrap unfortunately, as they were very well looked after cars.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    Peter,

The 1st under bonnet shot looks like someone has been replacing the head welch plugs ?
    You could be right!

I like that blue!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    You could be right!
    I think the holes are missing grommets for heater hoses and the speedo cable.

The speedo cable is the middle hole and has a special grommet with a flexible centre, that allows the cable to follow a natural arc on it's way from dash to gearbox and still seal, hence the oversize hole.

Barn find 404-404-firewall.jpg
    Roland likes this.

You know you've now spoiled the illusion?
    bluey504 and Dano like this.

Robmac
    I'm sure you're on the money regarding the holes. That was my first thought.
    Interesting carbie & air cleaner set up as well
    Dano

VIP Sponsor

You will need a late gearbox, pedals, steering column to fit the 2 litre. Otherwise you can redrill the early flywheel from 6 to 7 holes or fit an Austin 1800 throwout pad to a diaphragm pressure plate so you can use the original clutch fork. I have a few of these early 404 clutches in good condition.

[QUOTE=MR604;1403442]The other week a friend linked me to an ad for a 404 that had been sitting in a shed for 20 years, that was local. At first I told myself I wasn't interested, but ended up contacting the poster of the ad to have a look at the car. As it turned out, the car was last registered in 1983 and has been in the shed since. The body is straight and fairly rust free, bar some surface rust.
    The motor is seized, but that means I can put in a 2ltr motor I have. The rest of the drive train is an unknown and the brakes need doing.
    The interior is good, with some of the seat stitching rotting, some door trims are marked and there is a hole in the headlining at the drivers spot. You can see where rats have been squatting, but good for an original fifty year old car.
    So today the I got car to my place and after a wash of the outside, I'm pretty happy.

Cheers, there is also a later model parts car that's sitting in a paddock that's part of the deal. When I get a spare day, the FiL and I are going out to pick it of parts. There's the drive train, glass, and a few bits of bright work to get from it.
    If it comes to it I can use the box out of the 504 and I'm sure the FiL would have a spare box somewhere too.

Spent some time on the car yesterday and today. The motor is cactus and will need replacing, as expected. Not a great problem as we have a two litre that will go in.
    Checked sill panels under the doors and it's all good there except on hole about the size of a fiddy cent piece on the left hand side. Next is to go over the brakes and check them out.

Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Oh aren't you lucky! Have a good time!

Thread Information