Air Conditioner Problem in 2003 Peugeot 406 HDi wagon.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Air Conditioner Problem in 2003 Peugeot 406 HDi wagon.

We have a 2003 Peugeot 406 HDi wagon with a real problem with a fault in the air conditioner. A local auto electrician has already spent up to five hours on it and is now questioning whether the problem is in relays within the computer. There is no leakage of gas and the pressure is up to expectation. Basically there is no power being delivered to the compressor or pressure switch. Has anyone had a similar problem? a solution would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Most likely will be the relay built into the bsi. I'm sure someone will chime in with more details!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

1000+ Posts

Believe it or not, it could be the ignition switch! Balki suggested it when I had the same problem. (Mine's an SV, not a diesel, but air con shoud be the same). I dismantled, cleaned, lubricated & reassembled the switch & voila! it worked for a while! I subsequently replaced the ignition switch, and have had no recurrence of the problem!

No doubt one day the relay on the BSI will go - not looking forward to that .

Cheers

Alec

Built in relays are usually best supplemented in cases like this. Try first adding an underbonnet 40A relay with diode protection and a fused feed direct off the battery positive. Use the old compressor coil wire to pull the relay in.

There may be underlying issues like compressor slugging or incorrect air gap in the clutch coil. The former is due to overfilling with gas, the latter from wear - especially when a slightly low system has been clutching on and off too frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Built in relays are usually best supplemented in cases like this. Try first adding an underbonnet 40A relay with diode protection and a fused feed direct off the battery positive. Use the old compressor coil wire to pull the relay in.

There may be underlying issues like compressor slugging or incorrect air gap in the clutch coil. The former is due to overfilling with gas, the latter from wear - especially when a slightly low system has been clutching on and off too frequently.

as i have looked breifly at the car in question i can safely say there isnt 12v at the compressor or at the gas preasure switch so compressor clutch is out of the picture

I'm not saying the clutch is the "current" problem, but that if it has been in the past slipping, and therefore applying more often, it may be that the relay has been burned by exceeding it's expected duty cycle.

Many of these cars run an SD7V16 which is supposed to clutch on and off a lot less often than older style compressors like the 405 had, as a result of their being fitted with an internal valve that varies the amount of pumping effect whilst still spinning the internal rotating assembly.

Pin 7 of the 16-way green plug on the BSI will likely be numbered 8060 - this should be the "clutch on" supply. 2003 might even mean a solid state relay.
    Last edited by addo; 15th December 2015 at 07:06 AM.

I don't know whether the 307 & 406 are the same in this department but these exact symptoms turned out to be a relay in the BSI unit.
    Have a look at the fix in the link below under my sig and see if it may apply to the 307.
    Fixed the aircon in both our 406 MY2000
    Air con problems - 406
    Armageddon was yesterday
    Today we have a problem

2000 406 Hdi X 3
    2003 307 Hdi

Thread Information