Pug 306 S-16 Clutch & Struts
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Pug 306 S-16 Clutch & Struts

Hi All,

Thanks for your assistance with my last question re: my Pug 306...turned out to be head gasket and water pump $$$...ouch eek!

Now I need a new clutch and the front struts done on the old girl...I live in Bayswater does anybody have any recommendations for where to go, who to see or idea of $$$ to replace them...
    any and all help will be appreciated...

Advertisement

New clutch...owch. I thought these were bullet-proof, apparently not. I have not replaced mine so I cant help with that, however I did replace the front struts. I think I paid $150 and $190 for the right/left respectivly.

Probably worth your while replacing the top-mounts of the struts as both mine were cracked.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

bayswater in melbourne yeah? well im not sure if these guys can do exactly what you require but they do alot of work with peugeots, and their in ringwood the place is called alpine affair it's down thanet court near ringwood station.

Clutch....... urhhhhhh. Hate to say it. I did mine (95 S16) at 98K's and it cost me $1300, for which i got a H/duty Grp-A clutch. Alot of money but, this thing never slips under loads, ride is tuff and ive been on about 8 track days and it still superb.. but for $1300 youd want it to. There was nothing real wrong with the old clutch in my car, but it did slip when hard full throttle take off's.
    Standard clutch i was told is $700 drive in-out.
    Cheers Xq
    ... ptui!

Keith, Alpine Affaire will definitely be able to do the work and Colin out there does good work.

If you're looking for somewhere closer to the city try Spencer St Automoblies, near dudley st.

Tadpole
    Hey everybody just a thought but my clutch isn't slipping...it seems to bite ok....just the pedal is shocking...It's very vague and seems to stick somewhat...could this mean I need a new clutch cable....when I got my head work done the mechanic suggested the clutch was shagged...but if it doesn't slip and it just seems sticky maybe the cables rooted

anybody have any thoughts on this....I mean I can give her a decent rev and spin the tyres no worries...which I would have thought would cause the clutch to definately slip but it doesn't....with taking of from the lights normally though I have to give her about 1500 revs and ease the clutch out slowly or she judders and carrys on....which makes it look like I'm just learning to drive a manual...not good

any thoughts would be appreciated....

Cheers

1000+ Posts
    Roughcactus,

Sounds very much like a new cable, or even lubricating the old one would do the job.

Take the cable out of the housing that it pops into at the clutch itself (it's just behind the radiator, to the left of the battery when looking into the bonnet. Depending on the year model you'll have to take off the air inlet to get your hands in there). Lift it up and squirt some oil down the cable... just keep dribbling it in slowly until you think it can't take anymore. It took a week or two of normal driving for my clutch to settle down but it's great now.

Alternatively, replace the cable. It's about $124 (well, that was maybe 2 years ago). I replaced the cable in my previous 306. It's easy with two people (one to aim through the hole in the firewall, another to find the cable coming though and hook it into the clutch pedal - but you need a hoist or ramps.

As Phasis said, it's unlikely to be the clutch itself, depending on how the car's been driven.

Derek

Fellow Frogger!
    The Best Pug repairer to Bayswater has to be
    Auto Paris ph (03) 9890 8822.
    They are located in Box Hill, i go to them all the time, and they are great.
    ask for Paul.
    Regards
    Adrian Colman
    Peugeot
    "Anything else is a Compromise!"

My clutch is also quite stiff, however not vague. It guess it could do with some lube to smooth it out though.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Thread Information