307 2.0 HDI - 2006 - missing, clutch issue?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 307 2.0 HDI - 2006 - missing, clutch issue?

Hi there,
    Just got our 307 back from the Peugeot service centre in Orange. When I picked it up they asked me if I had noticed that it had a pretty bad miss and that they hadn't been able to find out why, nor were they able to look into the computer (huh? Peugeot service centre?). Anyway, they did all the regular Harrier service things and didn't find any fault with the clutch.

Anyhoo...

Symptoms are that it's quite hard to get into reverse. First OK but 2nd can be a bit tricky. Shudders a bit on take off. If I stop in 1st with the foot on the clutch (all the way in) it misses quite badly, almost as though the clutch hasn't fully disengaged but not in neutral. Has started vibrating a little more noticeably when stopped at lights.

Timing belt was changed by them at the last service.

Advertisement

So a few questions: does this sound like the dreaded dmf fault or anyone else experienced such behaviour? Should I have it attended to urgently? Is there anyone in Sydney you could recommend (my casually employed teacher bank balance is feeling an impending challenge) ?
    Many thanks mighty frogbrain.
    Paul

When you say hard to get into reverse do you mean it crunches as you select it? How many km has it done? Has there ever been a fuel system problem, like water? Seems extraordinary that they couldn't look for fault codes. I don't suppose there are too many other Peugeot dealers near there. Maybe someone else can suggest somewhere else nearby with good diagnostics.
    Hugh.

1000+ Posts

Are you sure there's really an engine miss? Seems more likely that it's all down to clutch/DMF, with the shaking from the out-of-balance flywheel being interpreted as a miss. BTW, being a 2006 model, it should be a T6, and should have a dual-mass flywheel. I haven't personally experienced a faulty DMF, but here's a report from someone who has:

Vibration/Shake - 307 2.0 HDi Touring

I'm afraid it's going to have to be pulled apart. Definitely wouldn't be going back to Orange - what about Jason Hantos in Hornsby - he's better known as a Citroen mechanic, but a 307 is much the same as a C4. Otherwise try Colliers in Granville - here's a thread singing their praises from 10 years ago , but with updates from this year mostly singing from the same hymn sheet!

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 11th December 2015 at 06:24 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks Hugh,

Just took it to the corner mechanic who said it was missing very badly, he too was very surprised at the dealer's inability to diagnose. The dealer replaced the timing belt last time so it is very odd. Perhaps it's an unwillingness rather than an inability. Very strange. The missing problem only started after I filled up at an untested diesel bowser recently (I typically use BP Ultimate Diesel). Let's see how they go with their scanner - no too successful last time I'm afraid.

As for clutch question it doesn't crunch but is very difficult to get into reverse and 2nd. Mechanic suggested that it could be clutch hydraulics but isn't sure until he can have a better look. He's not a Peugeot mechanic but he has been honest enough in the past to withdraw from what he wasn't sure of.

Any leads I should give him would be welcome.
    Best, Paul

Tadpole

Just spoke with Orange who ummed and aaad about computers and codes and warranties and Peugeot stock etc. I asked why they couldn't read the most basic codes and it seems that their basic scanning equipment is broken "but we can still do the basic mechanical service". Nice if they'd told me that BEFORE pretending to do a proper Peugeot service on the car (in their defence Colliers did just politely suggest that "service is different to diagnosis" - fair call).

I used to use Colliers for my old 505 and he was great. Colliers here we come.
    Last edited by paulsmithx; 11th December 2015 at 04:48 PM.

A bit average when the local Pug dealer does not have the ability to do a basic scan, bloody hell it is bread and butter to have one working, more so in the country when the alternatives are 100's of kys away.

Tadpole

Local mechanic says $2575 fitted with a replacement dmf as smf is more expensive now.

Sounds a bit steep. Thoughts?

1000+ Posts

Ouch! My son paid about $2000 to have clutch & timing belt replaced (including water pump etc...) - however my understanding is that his T5 low-power HDi does not have a DMF. He took it to Scullin Motors in the ACT - admittedly a bit out of your way!

Cheers

Alec

Tadpole

Ha, I've paid $1800 to have the timing belt done, $800 for a minor service (incl front brake pads though) and now this - all in the last 3 months. FAP will be next. At least I know now something of how the sharks circle. ACT is a little far off.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmithx View Post
    Ha, I've paid $1800 to have the timing belt done, $800 for a minor service (incl front brake pads though) and now this - all in the last 3 months. FAP will be next. At least I know now something of how the sharks circle. ACT is a little far off.
    we just paid $750 in total last week ,including new water pump ,belt, pulleys ,tensioner, and labour.

1000+ Posts

But not the clutch or flywheel? Paul is looking for comparative prices for replacing his DMF ...

Tadpole

Done for $2750 including seals (ouch). But the car is quieter and better running than ever. I now understand the strange noise it had since I bought it. It was a real mess in there. Bearing was completely chopped out and the bolts around the middle were way off centre.

Tadpole

Went with a new dmf by the way.

Tadpole

And now waiting for the tow truck. Hope they have an oil spill clean up kit with them.

1000+ Posts

Ouch!!! Has one of the new seals popped out?

Tadpole

That's what I'm expecting.

Tadpole

Apparently it was just a loose bolt, but he had to pull the whole thing apart again to get to it - poor bugger.

And then not 100m from the garage "bing" Depollution System Error.

Oh joy. I had dreamt of this but the dream was just "DPF fault". Seems I'm already wired in.

Damnit!

Thread Information