Test drove 205. Thoughts..Steering etc
  • Register
  • Help

Default Test drove 205. Thoughts..Steering etc

Ok. Went for a blast in a 205 tonight that i am looking at and these are my thoughs and questions.

First of all it is a very clean and mechanically sound(i thought) car. Engine is healty and very clean. Car is really spottless uinderneath, cvs, driveshafts etc No oil at all anywhere. No rattels, knocks(little from the front end. I think is the rubber things you can replace really cheap in the suspension sturt somewhere. but only very minor) etc. But i found the steering a little light maby, and not consistant. I am used to a lowerd 205 running p 5000 pirellie tyers and had really good feel while not being heavy but not light either. (konis and eibach 30-) This car was stock and it seemed to be really light for a 205. Any thoughts there.On turn in it seemed to be nice and even until my hands started to overlap each other then it would really dig in, kinda (not that i was going fast enough) encouraging the arse to swing out if one were pushing hard. The rear end is tight as . But i thought it might be the tyers. They seemed to give alot. Could this be it?? Other than that everything was really tight on the car. Maby im being picky?
    Cheers in advance

Advertisement

Cam

Hi Cam,

I would guess the tyres. I had new tyres fitted today (Goodyear Venture) 195/50/15 and my 205 feels the same way you have described in your test drive. Previously I had Rikens (185/55/15) - they were great, lasted a long time and only let me down when they were way overdue to be replaced. Before that Michelin Pilots which were also very good and expensive. Tyres make a huge difference to the feel but you always seem to settle in with the new ones and sort out what you can and can't do with them. If you're lucky enough to be driving a GTI you already have excellent handling. I have a UK produced 205 GTI book that reccomends 195/50/15's rather than the standard 185/50/15's Peugeot suggets, so this time I have given the 195's a go, my car feels very light and requires a lot more steering input (swinging arms wildly from side to side) than it did yesterday with the Rikens. I will keep you posted and let you know if they're crap.

cheer,
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    I have a UK produced 205 GTI book that reccomends 195/50/15's rather than the standard 185/50/15's Peugeot suggets...
    Actually, Peugeot used 185/55R15 as standard, not 50 profile as you suggested.

I personally use Michelin Pilot Preceda 195/50R15 which are the best tyres Michelin make for the factory wheels. 195/50 is recommended ideally for 6" width 15" rims or 6J15 as your late-205 (15") alloy is stamped. You can fit 205/50 BUT the tyre won't contact the road as good as the 195/50. This is to do with the sidewalls of the tyre being curved around more sharply to squeeze onto the non-ideal width rim.

Michelin recommend minimum, ideal and maximum rim widths for all their tyres in their brochures.

They're not cheap tyres , but I need the sport rubber to prevent 16V conversion wheelslip over minor bumps in the road - and that's in the dry too! Also, unlike the discontinued, lesser Michelin MXF Sport, the Pilot Preceda's have 4 massive water channels which I hope will increase handling in the wet which often in such sharp-tools as the 205, usually goes to poo.
    Last edited by 205 GTI16; 28th March 2004 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16
    Actually, Peugeot used 185/55R15 as standard, not 50 profile as you suggested.

I personally use Michelin Pilot Preceda 195/50R15 which are the best tyres Michelin make for 15" wheels. Not cheap tyres , but I need the sport rubber to prevent 16V conversion wheelslip over minor bumps in the road - and that's in the dry too!
    Sorry! 185/55R15 yes of course. typo!

How much do the Preceda's cost? and how many k's do you get from them?

I'm always interested in getting the best handling tyres and trying out different models to see what I like best. It's amazing how tyre dealers talk a lot about the look of tread pattern rather than how they will affect the handling.
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

Tadpole

Default suspension question

Howdy

mine has that sloght knocking sound around left handers under half or more power. can anyone expand as to waht that cheap part in the strut is? i thought it sounded expensive and it hasn't got any worse so have chosen to ignore! any idea about price or what the is would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    Ok. Went for a blast in a 205 tonight that i am looking at and these are my thoughs and questions.

First of all it is a very clean and mechanically sound(i thought) car. Engine is healty and very clean. Car is really spottless uinderneath, cvs, driveshafts etc No oil at all anywhere. No rattels, knocks(little from the front end. I think is the rubber things you can replace really cheap in the suspension sturt somewhere. but only very minor) etc. But i found the steering a little light maby, and not consistant. I am used to a lowerd 205 running p 5000 pirellie tyers and had really good feel while not being heavy but not light either. (konis and eibach 30-) This car was stock and it seemed to be really light for a 205. Any thoughts there.On turn in it seemed to be nice and even until my hands started to overlap each other then it would really dig in, kinda (not that i was going fast enough) encouraging the arse to swing out if one were pushing hard. The rear end is tight as . But i thought it might be the tyers. They seemed to give alot. Could this be it?? Other than that everything was really tight on the car. Maby im being picky?
    Cheers in advance

Cam

Hey
    Sorry to be so vague but i think its a rubber piece the size of a stnd saucer that goes somewhere in the strut. Very in expensive.

Sorry that im not really any help.
    Cam

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16
    I hope will increase handling in the wet which often in such sharp-tools as the 205, usually goes to poo.
    In my opinion the 205 is one of the best wet-handling cars I have driven, this side of an Lancer EVO there's little in it's class in the wet in my opinion.

As for the light steering issue probably a combination of standard suspension and higher tyre pressure's.

I suspect the rubber strut bit you are thinking of is the top mount rubber bush, not sure how much these are though.
    Regards,
    Matt
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Imagine watching the entire French Air-Force crash into a fireworks factory. That's how much fun this car is."

Jeremy Clarkson - talking about the V6 Clio
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah i think thats the rubber thing your talking about
    CAm
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Banned

Hey cam

just letting ya know i sold the car dude. thanks for your enquiry anyway.

cheers cem.

Thread Information