307 Gearbox Issues
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 2 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: 307 Gearbox Issues

Default 307 Gearbox Issues

I am contemplating looking for a Peugeot 307 HDi autoWagon, but this morning my wife spoke to a guy with such a vehicle who had an issue with gearbox failure. The mechanic who replaced it, spoke of "European Crap" and it cost him $3000. What is the experience of others and are there models to leave well alone? Pet.erR

Advertisement

Tadpole

$3k for an auto rebuild for any car is not unusual, even for Conformodors.
    Auto gearboxes tend to last about half the life of engines as a rule of thumb. Expect issues with automatics between 200kk-300kk. Way cheaper option is get a second hand box out of a low ks wreck.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U33 using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Are you looking at 4 speed or 6 speed autos? Totally different beasts. The 6 speeds are actually Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    I am contemplating looking for a Peugeot 307 HDi autoWagon, but this morning my wife spoke to a guy with such a vehicle who had an issue with gearbox failure. The mechanic who replaced it, spoke of "European Crap" and it cost him $3000. What is the experience of others and are there models to leave well alone? Pet.erR
    You haven't told us if its manual or automatic? If it's auto 3k is cheap. If you get 200,000 out of them your doing well, normally they last about as long as the timing belt.
    The mechanic is right, front wheel drive Euro transmissions are crap regardless of what badge they wear. But they lead the world and now everyone builds crap autos. Even Holden and Toyota.

If you want reliable Euro motoring buy a manual, (my 307 HDi is up to 374,000 and no problems) if your to lazy to change gears then you have to pay for it.

Manual boxes can fail too and would cost about that to fix but that's extreamly rare and second hand units are plentiful (unless it's a 1.6 petrol engine because there manual boxes are crap too.)

Sorry, read it slowly and properly and you said auto wagon didn't you. But still FWD auto's are bad news regardless of who's badge, and Jap and Korean are going the same way.
    Last edited by David Cavanagh; 9th December 2015 at 12:58 PM.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Hi Peter

Given that you've been on Aussie Frogs for a decade, you could hardly fail to have heard of the AL4 auto trans - a 4-speed european made box which doesn't seem to cope well with hot conditions, which has been fitted to a large number of 307s among other models. Life expectancy of this box seems to have been significantly shortened by PSA's marketing gimmick of declaring them 'sealed for life' - meaning they only get fluid changes if the owner insists. There are many, many threads on this forum about people's problems with the AL4 (aka AL$).

However, from 2006 on, some 307s & 308s have been fitted with a Japanese Aisin Warner 6-speed auto. Admittedly this is only fitted to the higher-spec models (such as the 2 litre, 100kw Hdi, which was only introduced in late 2005). There are very few threads on this box - yes there are less of them, but they seem to be much more robust. They need to be serviced regularly like any complex mechanical device - there are threads on what fluid to use in them (the genuine stuff is very pricey, but cheaper alternatives are available.

The good news for you and your wife is that, AFAIK, HDis were never fitted with the AL4 box - the first auto diesels only appeared with the 307 facelift (T6) fitted with the more powerful 100kw 2litre engine, and all were the 6-speed Aisin Warner box. I would expect that closer questioning of your wife's mechanic 'friend' will confirm that the problem he reported was in a petrol engined car - but you can't expect aussie mechanics to take much notice of subtle differences like that!

Again, being a long-time Frogger, you are probably aware that there are a few mechanics around (apart from at the dealers) who are educated in the ways of these weird french machines. If not servicing the vehicle yourself, I would recommend using one of these and avoid mechanics who bad-mouth french cars.

Cheers

Alec

Edit
    OK - I type slowly, and most of these responses appeared while I was typing. Would not dare contradict Mr Cavanagh (who has a professional interest in these things), but would still suggest that if car has low km, the transmission has been serviced, and it behaves properly on test drives (make sure you test it both cold and fully warmed up), then you are more likely to get a trouble-free run out of the japanese 6-speed.
    Last edited by Armidillo; 9th December 2015 at 01:16 PM.

We've still had people looking for late 6 speed auto's. We've even bought cars (T6 HDi) because the auto died. Yes I agree much better than the AL$ but still not satifactory compared to manuals.

Your right to avoid bad mouth French car mechanics. I find it funny when you speak to foreign mechanics who know what there doing and they stick up for Euro stuff, we had a Scottish bloke here an hour ago from RACV in Ballan telling us how bad Holdens are. One car in his shop has had 4 engines in 4 weeks, they bought a SH engine, fitted it, it failed so they got another and it failed. There up to 4 times now, bet you'll never hear Aussie mechanics tell you that.
    JohnW likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Thanks David for your response. I don't know whether the car referred to was auto or manual. I notice your reference to the safest bet being a manual and I agree(for myself, but the wife would prefer the auto) As things are, I have 3 options and I would appreciated your comment. All three are low kms cars -around 130,000 or less. 1. 2006 XSE HDi 2 Ltr Wagon; 2. 2007 HDi 1.6 Manual; and 3. a 2007 T6 XSE Auto Seq. Sportshift 2 Ltr. I seem to have picked up that the manual gearbox with the 1.6 manual was not so good. #2 option is well priced and just down the road from where I live. A special comment on this one would be relevant) The others are at a distance.
    On a personal note I have recently moved north to Devonport and my last business with you was for a 306 XSi (which I still have)
    Last edited by PeterR; 9th December 2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: addition of info.

Hi Alec Although being 10 year on the Forum, it is only just recently I have become interested in the 307 and looking at options. I am concerned about what I read about the AL4 box and it seems to me that the best option is to go for a model with 6 speed unit (japanese) or a manual. I am looking at a 2007 307 HDi 1.6 Manual wagon, but if I understand correctly from the Haynes Manual this is the model"... newly developed in a joint venture with the Ford Motor Co." That puts me off somewhat as I have never been a Ford lover. I am reqally putting out feelers as to the best mod3el to go for. If you see my reply to David's post, you will see what appears to be my best 3 options at the moment. I would appreciate any comment. Regards, Peter

1000+ Posts

The range of HDI engines are shared - Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Volvo all use one or other. Ford rename them Duratorq. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine.

The 6 speed Aisin Seiki auto has an even larger group of makes where it can be found - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC. Cars have become international. If you look at the component suppliers, half are German. There are USA and other Japan (eg steering) bits too.

Generally speaking the 2.0 HDI engines with the 6 speed auto are most favoured.
    Last edited by seasink; 9th December 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Thank you: you have made a very clear contribution to my thinking and knowledge regarding my questions. Much apprteciated! Peter

1000+ Posts

Hi Alec Although being 10 year on the Forum, it is only just recently I have become interested in the 307 and looking at options. I am concerned about what I read about the AL4 box and it seems to me that the best option is to go for a model with 6 speed unit (japanese) or a manual. I am looking at a 2007 307 HDi 1.6 Manual wagon, but if I understand correctly from the Haynes Manual this is the model"... newly developed in a joint venture with the Ford Motor Co." That puts me off somewhat as I have never been a Ford lover. I am really putting out feelers as to the best mod3el to go for. If you see my reply to David's post, you will see what appears to be my best 3 options at the moment. I would appreciate any comment. Regards, Peter
    Hi Peter

Our family have had 2 x 307 HDi wagons (1 x T5, 1 x T6), but both were 2 litre manuals. I'd certainly have another, but if we were in the market now I'd go straight to a 308.

Your number 3 pick may not be a diesel - an XSE can be either .

I don't know much about the 1.6 HDi motor - believe it may be prone to clogging of the EGR valve (and other related issues) - but regular servicing, and use of the correct oil (v. important because of the particle filter) is essential for both the later HDis.

Really think your first option is the best choice (although the suspension, at least for the manual, is very stiff - it's positioned as a Sports Wagon) but I see you are not exactly spoiled for choice - looks like there's only one being advertised in Tasmania (not counting the one on your list)! The same car is advertised on both Carsales & Gumtree, but I'd ignore the Carsales listing - it's $1,000 cheaper on Gumtree .

Cheers

Alec

Alec, thanks for your response! I guess my next question would be should I look mostly for manual transmission vehicles as a preference ?

Thanks David for your response. I don't know whether the car referred to was auto or manual. I notice your reference to the safest bet being a manual and I agree(for myself, but the wife would prefer the auto) As things are, I have 3 options and I would appreciated your comment. All three are low kms cars -around 130,000 or less. 1. 2006 XSE HDi 2 Ltr Wagon; 2. 2007 HDi 1.6 Manual; and 3. a 2007 T6 XSE Auto Seq. Sportshift 2 Ltr. I seem to have picked up that the manual gearbox with the 1.6 manual was not so good. #2 option is well priced and just down the road from where I live. A special comment on this one would be relevant) The others are at a distance.
    On a personal note I have recently moved north to Devonport and my last business with you was for a 306 XSi (which I still have)
    It's only the 1.6 petrol that have problems with manual gearboxes. 1.6 HDi boxes are fine but I couldn't vouch for the engine. 2.0 is much better. I'd go for a 2.0 HDi 6 speed manual

As I said we've bought T6's with stuffed 6 speed autos, One we bought was a 07 T6 2.0 HDi wagon. The owner was a realist, he bought it new and knew the trans was a time bomb but he wanted the luxury (lazyness) of an auto. It got to 305,000 which is excellent for an auto (AL$ usually die around 140,00) but still not good enough in a car that will do twice that.

I admit I'm sick of people complaining about autos, everyday we get someone whinging about the cost of fixing them and I don't get it. I remember my grandfather bought an EJ Holden in the 60's with a Hydramatic transmission, it was slow, used fuel and was unreliable, In the 70's R12 and R16 had auto options and they were slow, used fuel and were unreliable. 50 years later nothing has changed except the price to fix them so why do people complain when they break. Use you brains people and stick to manual.

By the way, your reference to Ford engines, Peugeot and Ford have always been in bed together with diesels. Even the old 504 shared it's engine with Ford Granada so don't let that bother you.
    Armidillo and denxm like this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Thank you David for your comments which are helpful. I took another look at the 2007 307 HDi manual 1.6 wkith 134000 on the clock this afternoon. Your comment about the gear box being ok on the HDi was relevant. It is in pretty good condition
    and I am interested. If I get it I will be ordering some parts for it. I am selling my 1999 306 XSi 2 Ltr manual: no bites yet. What price would you ask with 205,000 km. in v. good condition ? Kind regards, Peter

Thread Information