No Spark in 405 Mi16!!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon4 No Spark in 405 Mi16!!!!

does anybody have any ideas for what it might be????

just left my house the other day, 200m up the road i rolled to a halt, no warning......

there is no spark at all, checked a bit of the wiring, all seems good apart from the plug which is mounted on the side of the battery on a bracket, one of the terminals is said to be an earth according to the wiring diagram, but doesnt show to be an earth on a multimeter. can anyone check for me on their 405 mi16 if this is infact meant to be an earth??? because if it is, then that may well be my problem!

cheers

Advertisement

Check your crank angle sensor.

It's mounted in the top of your gearbox bellhousing (where clutch/flywheel located). It has a black cylindrical top and black shielded wire exiting it. It is located inbetween the power-steering-pump bracket on top of the gearbox and cylinder-block. The power steering pump runs off the exhaust camshaft. It had a 3 way plug incase you still can't identify it.

Dead sensor = no spark
    Loosely fastened = no spark

Let us know how you go mate...

Quote Originally Posted by 205 GTI16
    Check your crank angle sensor.

It's mounted in the top of your gearbox bellhousing (where clutch/flywheel located). It has a black cylindrical top and black shielded wire exiting it. It is located inbetween the power-steering-pump bracket on top of the gearbox and cylinder-block. The power steering pump runs off the exhaust camshaft. It had a 3 way plug incase you still can't identify it.

Dead sensor = no spark
    Loosely fastened = no spark

Let us know how you go mate...
    Spot on, its the crank angle sensor, same thing happened to me the other day, cost 280 bux for a new one.

Hmm I had a similar problem in my old MI16, but i losta cylinder before i lost all spark, the CPU just self destructed, because of the stupidity the place of where it was put, it rusted out.. now that kinda sucked...
    The first thing the guy from lube mobile checked was the crank sensor, that bit on the side of the battery is the ignition amplifier, I know what it is but would not have a clue what it does are you getting spark from the coil? or no power to the coil at all?

Trouzz
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

The ignition/spark amplifier will cause the same symptoms.
    One guy in the UK nearly went beserk with a BX16V that did exactly the same thing & he replaced all the ignition parts from a known good car before just giving up & walking away from the car.
    A few months later he sold the car for practically bugger all & the new owner (EFi literate type) did a few tests & then simply unscrewed the amplifier, pulled it out of the firewall, repaired a couple of burnt out wires behind it & casually drove off, so that's something else worth looking at.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

had the coil tested today and its fine, pulled out the crank angle sensor as well, is there any way of telling if its 'dead'? cause i dont want to have to fork out for a new one if it doesent need replacing, oh and it wasnt loose in any way.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bj_dove
    had the coil tested today and its fine, pulled out the crank angle sensor as well, is there any way of telling if its 'dead'? cause i dont want to have to fork out for a new one if it doesent need replacing, oh and it wasnt loose in any way.

cheers
    Use a multimeter, dont ask how though, thats what my mech used.
    Mine nearly died on me again today after I replaced that part on mine the other day...

im taking it to my local sparky tomorrow to get checked, so hopefully all is good.

maybe you've got some dodgy wiring somewhere?

how would i go about checking the igniton amplifier?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bj_dove
    cheers
    The CAS is effectively a hall-effect-style sensor. The easiest way to check it, is to just borrow a 'good sensor' from a mate or mechanic, put it in the hole (don't bother fastening it - just make sure it is fully seated) and see if your engine sparks (you can watch a sparkplug if you take one out, leave it connected to HT lead and earth its' body to a metallic part of your engine whilst cranking...

I doubt it's your igntion amplifier. They're harder to check anyway - I don't know the circuit inside them - yet

Have a prowl through this site:

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/bosch.html

all the info you require should be in there if you take the time to search it out.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Cal

Another vote for the crank angle sensor. As unbelieveable as it is, I have done 2 on my car, within 25 000kms of each other. On the upside, it is the only problem I have ever had with the car in 50 000kms of enjoyable motoring.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

i had the crank angle sensor tested, seems to check out alright, got 560ohms resistance and 2.5v when it pulses (i guess thats a bit of an average considering it pulses?) this place called petroject is helping greatly and getting in some equipment to test the ignition amplifier. turns out the amplifier unit is exactly the same as found on a BMW 320i.

finally got the ignition amplifier tested and its stuffed!!! so got a new one and putting it in tomorrow morning, with any luck it will start!

Thread Information