206 Gti temp sensors
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206 Gti temp sensors

Hi,
    quick question about temp sensors on 206 Gti.
    Temp sensor that supply's the ECU on family members Gti has failed. Is this the green sensor that can be seen on top of the coolant manifold at gearbox end of engine. Its the only sensor I can see.

Out of curiosity, where is the other sensor that supply's the temp gauge. I'm guessing its done the back and I need a mirror to see it, but it would be nice to confirm its location if anyone knows.

Advertisement

Thanks

Hi gromzx,

I'm reasonably sure the GTi only has one sensor - which feeds directly to the ECU. It's green and its Peugeot p/n is 1338 A7.

I think the ECU drives the gauge, but I'm not sure on pre-multiplex cars. What year model is the 206?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

15/05/2002 by the vin. I'm vary sure its a pre mux car.
    The gauge on the dash reads correctly will the ECU (on PP2000) reports 40-50c and never really moves. It also shows fault codes for failed temp sensor. This is what made me think there must be a second sensor somewhere for redundancy. But I also haven't been able to find any second sensor in service box so now I'm really confused...

there won't be any difference engine-wise between mux and pre mux EW10J4's they're all the same. I'm pretty sure there's only the one coolant temp sensor which is accessed from near the EGR valve side of the engine just behind the thermostat housing. as simon mentions.

My experience so far with these is that the surface of the copper oxidises quicker than most, and so it gives faulty readings. some fine grit sandpaper and a polish should make it good. Otherwise no harm in getting yourself a $30 one and keep the old one as a spare. Also when replacing do it very quick and when the car is cool. The sensor isn't anywhere near the highest point in the system, so there will be lots of coolant flowing outta there.

i'm not exactly sure what is doing the sending to the gauge, but in the mux it's probably sent in throught he ECU while in the premux it probably has it built into the gauge itself.
    Last edited by lion5; 7th December 2015 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gromzx View Post
    15/05/2002 by the vin. I'm vary sure its a pre mux car.
    The gauge on the dash reads correctly will the ECU (on PP2000) reports 40-50c and never really moves. It also shows fault codes for failed temp sensor. This is what made me think there must be a second sensor somewhere for redundancy. But I also haven't been able to find any second sensor in service box so now I'm really confused...
    A 2002 model would almost definitely be a mux car. The new model appeared very early Jan 2002 in Australia.

There is another coolant temp sensor but that is in the centre console and for the climate control/air con.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

maybe the inconsistency is because I tested it as a pre-mux car.
    In any case the car will be coming to me soon so we can change the temp sensor and the low speed cooling fan resister, so I will recheck then and let you know.

Thought I'd update.
    Just changed the temp sensor and low speed resister (main problem was no low speed cooling fan, causing the engine to run hot. That's now fixed)
    I retested the car as a mux car with the new sensor but it still returned the same strange temp readings on PP2000. everything on the car works fine, so I'm just going to ignore it.
    But still vary odd

Thread Information