307 HDi underbonnet fire
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: 307 HDi underbonnet fire

Default 307 HDi underbonnet fire

Well, we've only had it (2007 2.0 HDi auto) for a few months but I'm afraid it may not survive the ravages of a brief underbonnet fire and the tender mercies of the insurance company. Which is a shame because I liked it.

My wife was driving when the dash warning lights became very active, followed by a burning smell, a whoompf, (although she said explosion) and smoke escaping from the edges of the bonnet. As she happened to be close to a servo, she pulled in and parked near the bowsers. This produced several interesting responses, rapid exodus from the patrons, considerable encouragement from the panel operator to push it away from the pumps and, happily, a fire extinguisher from the repair business on the same site. Although the visible damage looks slight, the interior is rather smelly and given how difficult the back of the engine is to access, I suspect it will be written off.

As soon as I arrived I noticed that the piece of underbonnet sound proofing under the right side of the windscreen wiper panel has disappeared so I'm pretty sure it has dropped onto the exhaust/turbo and caught fire. My wife reported a small amount of leaked liquid under the car when it was moved away from the pumps so I wonder if there are any plastic fuel lines nearby that might have been melted through. Rather disappointing that the rather marginally secured sound proofing above the exhaust would be flammable.

If you have one of these I would keep an eye on that.
    Hugh.

Advertisement

Oh well. Any thoughts on a replacement?
    Alain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Venables View Post
    Well, we've only had it (2007 2.0 HDi auto) for a few months but I'm afraid it may not survive the ravages of a brief underbonnet fire and the tender mercies of the insurance company. Which is a shame because I liked it.

My wife was driving when the dash warning lights became very active, followed by a burning smell, a whoompf, (although she said explosion) and smoke escaping from the edges of the bonnet. As she happened to be close to a servo, she pulled in and parked near the bowsers. This produced several interesting responses, rapid exodus from the patrons, considerable encouragement from the panel operator to push it away from the pumps and, happily, a fire extinguisher from the repair business on the same site. Although the visible damage looks slight, the interior is rather smelly and given how difficult the back of the engine is to access, I suspect it will be written off.

As soon as I arrived I noticed that the piece of underbonnet sound proofing under the right side of the windscreen wiper panel has disappeared so I'm pretty sure it has dropped onto the exhaust/turbo and caught fire. My wife reported a small amount of leaked liquid under the car when it was moved away from the pumps so I wonder if there are any plastic fuel lines nearby that might have been melted through. Rather disappointing that the rather marginally secured sound proofing above the exhaust would be flammable.

If you have one of these I would keep an eye on that.
    Hugh.
    There is a 407 with a burned out engine bay and rhs of the bonnet cooked (near the driver ) in Jolly's U Pullit, so I wonder if it's happened to a few cars?

http://www.jollysupullit.com.au/ezip...730484_300.jpg

http://www.jollysupullit.com.au/ezip...730481_300.jpg
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

1000+ Posts

Fuel supply and return are on the driver's side, but well clear of the manifold and then around the front. Was there a leak from the high pressure side down to the exhaust/turbo area?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Fuel supply and return are on the driver's side, but well clear of the manifold and then around the front. Was there a leak from the high pressure side down to the exhaust/turbo area?
    Hugh suggests the bonnet insulation drooped contacting hot parts and started the fire causing hoses to burn and release fuel. Which resulting in positive feed back situation.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

I'm speculating a little here as the car has been taken away for assessing and I didn't have a lot of time to investigate myself. I had previously noticed that the piece of sound deadening that clips into the pollen filter housing and buttons under the lip of the windscreen wiper cover panel had become a bit saggy. When I attended briefly after the fire that piece of sound deadening had disappeared. I presume it had dropped onto the exhaust/turbo. The car is at Chassis Tech in Croydon (Melbourne). I have spoken to Chris there and I expect to be able to get their report to the insurance company. Because my wife reported on some liquid under the car I also wonder if a plastic fuel line might have been melted. That could explain the "explosion" she heard. The good thing about this one is that it was put out very quickly so it should be easier to diagnose.

And we liked it so much that we bought another one yesterday. If they don't write it off that will be a little embarrassing......
    Hugh.

I just spoke to Chris. he confirmed that the supply and return fuel lines had been melted through too.
    Hugh.

1000+ Posts

The fuel supply and return are the paired tubes on the left, that go even further to the side after they leave the bonnet area.
    307 HDi underbonnet fire-peugeot-307.jpg

Do a full service on the "new" car, particularly oil and filter changes.

Thanks Seasink,
    That engine is a T5, I'm guessing the fuel lines take a similar route on a T6.
    Yes I will do a full service and a cam belt etc. as it's at 176,000 km.

Fellow Frogger!

there is a gold t5 at pickles salvage auction tomorrow, that has had a mild under bonnet fire .

now owning a t6 is there anything to be mindful of besides the insulation already mentioned ?

having had a 06 Berlingo BBQ after a head job , extinguishers are now carried !!

1000+ Posts

My wife drives a 307 hdi so you have my interest,will check that insulation pronto ,cant see how insulating material would be flammable unless it was soaked in oil or diesel .pugs

1000+ Posts

I see the part now ,its more like a foam backed trim ,for sound deadening and aesthetics ,mines well fixed and going nowhere ,seem to remember that theres a component back there [fuel pre heater ]that fails ,spraying fuel on the manifold ,it wouldnt take much to melt that foam strip if it caught fire ,presuming any drop in fuel pressure would cause the engine to stop ,though it would spray till it pressured down ,feeding the fire .not good, must tell the missus that any diesel smell must be investigated asap, pugs

This is an issue for all fuel injected cars really as they age and fuel lines get to the stage of cracking. I caught our Citroen BX spraying petrol all over the engine once, fortunately without a source of ignition thanks to cover on distributor and well sealed spark plug leads I suppose. There was fuel everywhere! I guess it was about 15 years old at the time.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Well the insurance company has written the car off and it is at Mannheim Fowles in Altona where I assume it will be auctioned. They allowed me to go there and remove the towbar, which I have done.

I'm interested to know more about this fuel pre-heater behind the engine. Is that for petrol or diesel? Where exactly is it? Where does it's heat come from?
    Thanks,
    Hugh

Thread Information