MAF sensor disconnect
  • Register
  • Help

Default MAF sensor disconnect

My 2001 HDI 406 was running like a dog with no power....disconnected MAF and all came good. Bought a new MAF cleared faults on pp2000 and drove 200ks and no faults showed up but it did a have an annoying hesitation on the throttle which toally disappeared when disconnecting MAF again. Runs prefectly, starts smoother and gets basically same fuel consumption and if anything has more power....Driven 500ks like this no problems comes up wuith permanent faults on airtemp amd aorflow (obviously).....so the question is.....any reason to not just leave it off? Its my sons auto city car , doesn't get foot to the floor driven and runs better, so assuming it goes to a default setting without the sensor, what are the possible reasons to refit it. Real reasons, not guesswork. I know a diesel will run hot if overfueled, but Ive been driving it the last 2 days of heatwave and its sitting exactly where it should. Im loath to refit the thing and have it run worse.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting. I have similar situation. As posted in another thread on this forum, my 1.6 petrol 307 falters and has jerking action when driving. When I disconnect the MAF, the engine idles and runs smoothly. It does lack power and I suspect throttle response is not as good as it should be. However it has been running OK, for a few weeks now. I will replace mine soon and observe if the above comment are resolved. As for your vehicle, the MAF would be fitted for a reason, I would replace it with a non faulty item.

MAF in a diesel and petrol are totally different ways of functioning...diesels (depending on what the default setting is and what the MAF controls ) can run better with a maf disconnected. My question is whether they may be any damage longterm as they may run a bit richer (which in a diesel means running hotter)...so far no definitive answer.

Thread Information