205 MI16 Idol issues/ecu tune
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rtsnoz

Thread: 205 MI16 Idol issues/ecu tune

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 MI16 Idol issues/ecu tune

Ive just recently got my 205 mi16 on the road after a cpl years of stuffing around. I have had a power tune and its pushing out 150hp atw. Im having dramas with the idol... Haltech sport 1000 ecu and haltech idol stepper motor are new. Been back to the dyno tuner 3 times now. After you beat the car up a bit, the idol revs will stay around 400rmp above idol rmp, when you knock it out of gear the revs drop off and engine stalls (idol doesnt always catch) and another symptom is the idol surges... like it is chasing the ideal rmp but cant find it. Im pretty sure this all comes back to the tune. Can anyone help me or recommend a reputable dyno tuner in Perth? Much appreciated.

Griffo

Advertisement

Any air leaks?

Earth wiring contacts all good?
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Check also oxygen sensor, stepper motor (new doesn't necessarily mean not broken).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Good fully charged battery?

Mine has a heart attack when the radiator fans cuts in, and idle revs drop about 150 rpm.

Just a thought.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

temp sensors could potentially be off too

I'm not good on ideas! But 150atw sounds great!!!

Did you send the map to Haltech? I'd be getting them to look at in Sydney and then email it back to you with changes. They're very helpful.

Also, disconnect/plug the stepper motor and set the idle manually with the stopper screw, when hot. When reconnected, the stepper motor isn't working as hard to control the idle speed.
    Last edited by PeterT; 24th November 2015 at 09:20 AM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Also, disconnect/plug the stepper motor and set the idle manually with the stopper screw, when hot. When reconnected, the stepper motor isn't working as hard to control the idle speed.
    Do you need to zero the TPS after you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by griffo View Post
    Ive just recently got my 205 mi16 on the road after a cpl years of stuffing around. I have had a power tune and its pushing out 150hp atw. Im having dramas with the idol... Haltech sport 1000 ecu and haltech idol stepper motor are new. Been back to the dyno tuner 3 times now. After you beat the car up a bit, the idol revs will stay around 400rmp above idol rmp, when you knock it out of gear the revs drop off and engine stalls (idol doesnt always catch) and another symptom is the idol surges... like it is chasing the ideal rmp but cant find it. Im pretty sure this all comes back to the tune. Can anyone help me or recommend a reputable dyno tuner in Perth? Much appreciated.
    Griffo
    Hunting is a sign that the engine is running lean at idle. This could be because the idle map is too lean or because the TPS is not zeroed, (don't know if Haltech self learns zero or has to be manually set), and the engine is trying to run on a part of the "run" map that is lean because it doesn't see the throttle as being closed (throttle has to be 0% for idle map to take over). I bet that if the idle map is richened till the idle stays constant, most, if not all, of the other problems will go away.

And........go find yourself another tuner too.

Like I said many times, there's not that many tuners here in the west, and most are only happy to take your money to adjust two screws on an old holley on top of your V8 or play with some Jap imports (which are well known and explained on the web and you can buy pretty much everything off the shelf and bolt it on and you're done tuning). This is one of the reasons I refused to consider an engine transplant and/or aftermarket ECU swaps for my GTI and I've tried to talk a lot of people out of it. From personal accounts here, it is demonstrated that very few people actually know what they're doing and not all are available on call.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you need to zero the TPS after you do this?
    Only if it's using TPS to sense load. I'd be setting up a separate idle map, so that at zero throttle it had to pick up a fixed injection time and not hunt around on the Manifold Pressure vs RPM load map. As I haven't seen the map it's hard to analyse. Given it's got aftermarket cams it should probably be set up with TPS vs RPM loading anyway.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information