2008 Outdoor Diesel
  • Register
  • Help
    Gone Fishin'

Default 2008 Outdoor Diesel

I'm looking at going from my Skoda Yeti 4x4 to a 2008 (not the year) Outdoor diesel manual.
    Anybody out there have one or anything to say about this crossover?.

Advertisement

another possibility is the Citroen Cactus.

In terms of looks, they are both well built and well presented, french-designed cars, with the 2008 made in France and the Cactus in Spain. I think the Cactus is a better looker, but I'm sure that's up for debate

It's far more bump and scratch-resistant, but I do worry about the long term effects of the Australian climate on the Cactus' bumps™.

In terms of warranty, the Cactus is much better, with six years vs three years.

In terms of tech, the Grip Control feature on the 2008 is better - however if it's mainly an urban cruiser it's probably not relevant.

The 2008 diesel only comes with a 5sp manual (though very good economy regardless). The Cactus diesel only comes with a 6sp EGS (automated manual).

Neither come with 4WD, though the 2008 Grip Control system is pretty good.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Wifes' car is the 2008 1.6 petrol manual . With such a large area of glass in the roof it is a very hot car inside . I find the footwell quite cramped , and have to be careful not to push two pedals at once with my size 12 boots .Rear boot space is less than our previous 307,and I find the ride on our terrible Gippsland roads fairly harsh . To me , the 307 was a better car .

regards

Richard

Gone Fishin'

Well, on Monday we went down to North Melbourne Bayford in our Yeti 4x4 to check out their 2008 Outdoor in Artenze Grey and ended up with it registered in my name and driving it home.
    The only aspect that disappointed was the heavy/numb/wooden steering feel at freeway speed.
    I've complained about it and they are going to advise if the electric steering can be reprogrammed to make it lighter.
    Has anyone else felt the steering was artificial in feel?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We hired a 2008 in France last year and covered 11,000 kms in two months. It was a diesel with the 6-speed EGS gearbox (which isn't available here). Absolutely nothing went wrong with it and we were sorry to give it back. I can't say that I noticed anything wrong with the steering and we covered all types of roads from 130 km/hr motorways to the scary Cornish lanes.
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

1000+ Posts

I haven't looked under the bonnet (or wheel arch) but if it's like other modern PSA vehicles it's a Japanese electro-hydraulic system, with computer controlled assistance. Journalists always hate modern Cits because the electro-hydraulic steering takes away road feel. I don't care - I just point and the car always follows. Funnily they don't make the comment about other cars with this system.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I haven't looked under the bonnet (or wheel arch) but if it's like other modern PSA vehicles it's a Japanese electro-hydraulic system, with computer controlled assistance. Journalists always hate modern Cits because the electro-hydraulic steering takes away road feel. I don't care - I just point and the car always follows. Funnily they don't make the comment about other cars with this system.
    Some of 100 % electric systems are woeful. Ever driven an I 30? A 2012 version anyway.

Electro hydraulic is no different in principle to the older systems with an engine driven pump. Better in fact, because it's easier control via the body ECU.

Many motoring "journalists" wouldn't know the difference between the systems, even with a rack inserted.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

The steering assistance is 100% electric. Nice and light at low speed and nice and firm at higher speeds.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Gone Fishin'

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Some of 100 % electric systems are woeful. Ever driven an I 30? A 2012 version anyway.

Electro hydraulic is no different in principle to the older systems with an engine driven pump. Better in fact, because it's easier control via the body ECU.

Many motoring "journalists" wouldn't know the difference between the systems, even with a rack inserted.
    Absolutely, they have zero mechanical knowledge or interest beyond ICE toys and cup holders.
    On long trips in our latest 308 I can steer with finger tips but the 2008 is too stiff and almost like a form of 'stiction' (frictions like stickiness) but I doubt it will free up.......it'll just keep going in the direction you last adjusted it to and road camber (positive or negative) has little effect.
    Im hoping an electronic 'service tool' can lighten it up a bit.

Thread Information