*Waaa* My bottom heater hose burst today
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! DJ-Studd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    547

    Default *Waaa* My bottom heater hose burst today

    So here I was in my baby (Err, sorry, 205), stuck in a slow convoy of horse trailers, 40 seconds away from home. I'd looked down at my instrument panel a minute earlier and nothing looked too out of the ordinary. Huh? What's this? Why's the stop light on?! So I check the handbreak, nope, not that. "Ah crap". In literally half a second I'd pulled over to the side of the road, turning the motor off before even dropping any speed. "Nooo!" The temperature had risen right off the scale in the period of a minute.
    I don't enjoy watching white stuff pouring out from under the bonnet, so this wasn't the best time of my life. Quick Mum, pop the bonnet for me! 30 seconds later once she's found the release handle I pull the thing open and out comes no shortage of steam.

    Advertisement


    Fortunately it was only 40 seconds away from home (Doing the speed limit of 100KM/h until you get a few mtrs before the driveway ) so Dad came down with the 4WD (After I ran full boar for 5 minutes to get some bloody reception, I hate you Telstra!) and we towed the poor little 205 home.

    Oh well, nothing I can do until I get a new heater hose. Let's hope it hasn't blown a gasket, ouch!

    I don't know why she did this to me, I was being nice to her (I didn't go into the red) and was giving her a pat on her steering wheel with my hand the whole way home, only to have this happen.
    *ponders* Now, do I buy yellow, blue or black hoses... hmm *ponders*

    -- DJ

  2. #2
    nJm
    nJm is offline
    Guru nJm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    Sorry to hear it.

    Well every week or so when you're poking around under the bonnet check that all the hoses are in good condition and that the hose clamps are on tightly. It isn't that difficult or expensive to replace them, generally speaking (I've heard Peugeot put some funny sized and shaped hoses in the 205s). The most expensive hose I've bought for my pug was a genuine Peugeot 505 radiator hose which was $25 from Regans. Most others you can just take to Repco and they will find something of similar size. It is worthwhile doing this rather than having them fail later on.

    Also watch for any oil leaks in your engine bay, as hot oil tends to accelerate the deterioration of rubber.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR


    "All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! DJ-Studd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Last time I checked (No more than a fortnight ago, oil top-up) the hose looked OK. Maybe it burst from the inside due to pressure?

    Either way, I think the radiator is about at the point where it could do with a good flushing... eww.

    -- DJ

  4. #4
    Banned orestes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,520

    Icon7

    worse things have happend. i was half way down to the gold coast in the 505 with my dad and the radiator hose burst, that wasn't fun as we didnt have a spare hose or any tools to fix it. we ended up haveing to shorten the hose with a stanely knife and clamp it back on before driveing home with the car almost on boiling point

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! BW205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Mostly Hong Kong and sometimes Brisbane
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Well I hope you what happens with rubber hoses. If one goes ...just be prepare for another 2 to go in very very close future.

    I had 2 rubber hose go in my 205 within a week of each other.

    Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

    -Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

  6. #6
    Tadpole Pepe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Freaky!

    same thing happened to me two days a go! It took a while to figure out which hose was leaking but finally we found it, took the air thing off, cut the hole bit off and shoved a steel connector tube from a Golf heater hose and clamped the two bits together.

    I hope there isn't any problems having the Germans and French so close to each other!!!
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

  7. #7
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    Freaky!

    same thing happened to me two days a go! It took a while to figure out which hose was leaking but finally we found it, took the air thing off, cut the hole bit off and shoved a steel connector tube from a Golf heater hose and clamped the two bits together.
    PEPE,

    I hope you are only using this as a temporary measure?

    Once a hose has burst, you can be assured it's because the internal fabric reinforcement is stuffed and it will probably be a matter of time before it burts in another part of the hose. Just replace it, and any other hose that looks dubious.

    DJSTUDD,

    I blew a heater hose off (faulty clamp I think) at the PCCV DECA event last year and did a lap and a half flat out lap (+4500rpm for the most part) with no coolant, and the car was (still is) fine.

    As long as you catch it in time it should be sweet.



    Hoses will generally last about the same period of time (generally a little longer if they are a smaller diameter.

    Regards,
    Richard Vandermeer

    P.S- If you squeeze a hose and it goes crunch, it needs replacing. This is the sound of the internal fabric reinforcements tearing.....

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,495

    Default

    I was going to say the same thing about the squeezing routine Richard. Also, check for hoses that are swollen a lot larger than the clamped bit.

  9. #9
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,266

    Default

    i generally replace all thge hoses when one goes as it's easier to do it once you are in the mood and you are already doing one

    i blew one once in a 604 under the inlet manifold and i though bugger it and replaced the lot as it's just so much easier as i had the manifold off anyway and if anyone has ever taken the inlet off one of these motors they will understand
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x 2018 3008

    1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

    1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

  10. #10
    Tadpole Pepe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistareno
    PEPE,

    I hope you are only using this as a temporary measure?

    Once a hose has burst, you can be assured it's because the internal fabric reinforcement is stuffed and it will probably be a matter of time before it burts in another part of the hose. Just replace it, and any other hose that looks dubious.

    DJSTUDD,

    I blew a heater hose off (faulty clamp I think) at the PCCV DECA event last year and did a lap and a half flat out lap (+4500rpm for the most part) with no coolant, and the car was (still is) fine.

    As long as you catch it in time it should be sweet.



    Hoses will generally last about the same period of time (generally a little longer if they are a smaller diameter.

    Regards,
    Richard Vandermeer

    P.S- If you squeeze a hose and it goes crunch, it needs replacing. This is the sound of the internal fabric reinforcements tearing.....
    thanks for the tips guys, I will be replacing in a few days.

    Can anyone tell me why in this advanced technological age why a hose is not available that does not deteriorate as quickly as those found in most engine bays?

    Really, it's incredible they even burst or get holes at all. Imagine if your tyres just went pop! while driving down the road. I would gladly pay an extra 10-20 bucks for a reliable water hose.

    cheerments.
    "Times have changed since the 205GTi. Modern society wouldn't tolerate such a focused car" Autocar magazine, 16 April 2003

  11. #11
    Administrator
    mistareno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    thanks for the tips guys, I will be replacing in a few days.

    Can anyone tell me why in this advanced technological age why a hose is not available that does not deteriorate as quickly as those found in most engine bays?

    Really, it's incredible they even burst or get holes at all. Imagine if your tyres just went pop! while driving down the road. I would gladly pay an extra 10-20 bucks for a reliable water hose.

    cheerments.
    Your tyres aren't filled with boiling hot highly/freezing cold pressurised glycol. A typical hose will outlast several sets of tyres.

    When you think of the huge temperature range that a Radiator hose deals with (-5c - +100c) added with vibration, oil contamination (a natural rubber softner) and errosion caused by cavitation, I think the average hose does pretty well to last 5 years/100000+K.

    I usually check mine at every service and change them at the first sign of softness or swelling.

    BTW - Steel reinforced hoses are expensive and have internal corrosion problems when used with water or water based fluids. Stainless steel reinforced hoses are damned expensive.

    Regards,

    Richard Vandermeer

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    6,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe
    I would gladly pay an extra 10-20 bucks for a reliable water hose.

    cheerments.
    Look for those silicone hoses - the ones that come in colours. They're meant to be more durable, and yes, you'll pay and extra $20 a hose!

    I don't reckon it's worth it; I've never had a hose fail in over 20 years driving. Mind you, I'm pretty particular about maintenance.

    Stuey

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •