• Register
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Dano
  • 3 Post By Mike Tippett
  • 1 Post By Peter C

Thread: 403 Resto Colour Choice

Default 403 Resto Colour Choice

I am well advanced in the restoration of my 1955 403 displayed at the 1955 Sydney Motor Show. It was built slightly before full production began along with a couple of other right hand drives and mine was shipped down under. As far as I can determine the other RH drives made at the time have not survived elsewhere in the world. This is possibly the oldest car surviving. Peugeot checked the serial number with me 3 times before they gave me the build details.

My reason for posting is to seek input on colour. The car was originally sprayed light blue, not an original pug colour as far as I can tell, I suspect it was a colour selected for the show. When I started painting things some time back I chose an orginal shade blue/green used with the release of the 403 Cabriolet. I am now having second thoughts, and reverting to as close as I can get to the original colour, which will most likely be an early Holden or ford blue.

So I thought a small poll would help me decide... Original as displayed in Ozz, or Le Bleu genuine ? The latter is far more attractive, but ....

Thanks Guys

Advertisement

That's a question close to my heart right now! Our 1951 Renault 750 is in for serious painting for the first time, since 1951 that is. Colour was the source of a family debate and vote. I wanted battleship grey, the car's original colour, but I was outvoted in a block (wife + daughter) to leave it something like the deep blue it has been since 1966.

A good friend argues, with merit, that grey is the go, observing that "the soul of the car is grey", and I agree with that. But grey isn't perceived as the soul of the car by the majority of stakeholders!!

Personally, in your case, I'd do it the orginal "show blue" only if you like the colour. Otherwise I'd go for a nice original, similar colour from the era. Equally, changing colour is a lot of work....

Good luck!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Are you looking at a single colour or two toned. Personally I do like the light blue. Although there is a late model two tone in Brisbane that looks good as well. It is two shades of Green.

Thinking about the blue, reminds me of a trip to the rubbish dump about 40 years ago. I'll try to keep this short...
    After cleaning out under my father's house, I took a lot of old PUG bits to the dump. Pulled up beside this guy in a Blue 403 with a black boot lid. Having a blue lid one on board. I asked him did he wanted it. It was a perfect match. He said he would, but he wasn't good with things like working on cars. Having tools with me I offered to change it there and then. Anyhow, a little while later he drove out with a matching boot lid. I also changed his lock over. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he showed his wife.
    Last edited by Dano; 15th November 2015 at 10:28 AM.
    CarNut, addo, pugnut1 and 1 others like this.

The original colour is the way to go for sure. Even if you don't like it! That sounds like a very important 403, so stick to what the weight of history tells you.
    Dano, CarNut and FIVEDOOR like this.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupť Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Yes, I also reckon paint it the original colour.
    Dano likes this.

A great effort and nice story. As to the re-spray, I have my opinion... Restore it nicely, paint it well, enjoy owning and using the car. A happy owner is more important than any colour.

My two cents worth. Go for the original colour and not something close. Find an intact sample of the original and have it scanned by a trustworthy paint and panel shop. An exact match can be easily mixed. I could suggest that you look under the serial number plate in the engine bay but as it is most probably a French assembled car they did not apply body colour there. Under bonnet areas were only finished in undercoat with a body number stencilled on the RHS inner.

Thanks everyone for your interest. I don't think matching the original paint will be a problem if I do decide to revert I still have a couple of unweathered places. Not in the engine bay though, this was all black and has been returned to that colour.

I have parts listing with the fabric and plastic colour/patterns and intend to replicate these as close as possible.

SteveSal,

would be good to see some photos of your car, if possible.

Dan

Thread Information