405SRDT Back on the road
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405SRDT Back on the road

Hi Everyone,

A couple of technical questions..

I've got a 405SRDT that I have finally got back on the road, after bashing the back out of the sump on a gumtree root (On the track behind cloudy bay, for those familiar with Bruny Island).

Thing is, I've had it sitting outside for 6 months with a big chunk missing out of the sump. Question is, should I change the oil/filter after a few 100k to clean out any dust / grit that has got it? Or am I being paranoid? The motor has only got around 185k on it, so hoping for quite a few years more out of it.

Other question is, before it died it was doing about 8.5l/100km on the open road, which is too much. I've had the timing on the diesel pump checked, and it hasn't got a sooty behind. It does have plenty of power though. The previous owner had the Lucas pump replaced with a bosch one, but did not swap the injectors. Could it be that this has stuff up the mixture (i.e. too rich)?

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

There's nothing to loose by fitting a new filter so Yes!

I assume you have fitted a new sump or removed the old one and had it repaired?

I which case you have filled the sump with new oil.

I make it a normal practice to fit a new filter every time the oil is changed.

At 185K Kms - the engine is nicely run in - regular oil changes will keep it running well.

You may well be right about the injectors not being the correct ones for the new pump.
    Sorry to say I'm not sure. There is bound to be someone on the forum who does know!

Cheers
    Roland
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Not familiar with pump swaps on this model, but its vary possible that the lucas injectors run at a lower pressure then the bosch injectors and thus increasing fuel consumption, so worth investigation.

Tadpole

I get 5-6 lp 100 km highway cycle, 8.5 is flat out inner city thrashing. Weird though as if it was rich you would know about it by the black smoke in your rear view mirror every time you plant it. Follow advice re pump & injector specs for sure. Mine still does 900 city 1200 country & has nearly 500,000 on the clock. Blows a bit if I floor it, but sure doesn't burn like yours.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y520-U33 using Tapatalk

1000+ Posts

Correct Lucas are at 175 and Bosch at 185 and I am not sure if this is 17.5 and 18.5 atmospheres or whatever but they are higher pressure which will affect spray pattern and probably inject too much fuel as crack pressure is lower and they stay open longer.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice. At this stage I am getting under 900km per tank on the open road, so definitely something not right. I'll swap over the injectors and see what happens.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information