404 advert late 60's
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By bahay
  • 4 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 2 Post By Grenouille
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS
  • 1 Post By marty 404
  • 1 Post By marty 404

Thread: 404 advert late 60's

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    385

    Default 404 advert late 60's

    404 advert late 60's-404sthncrossrallyadvtsmh69-001.jpg

    Hope I've been successful in uploading/attaching a newspaper advert from a scrap book I put together in my teens.

    Advertisement
    Demannu, okalford and Mike Tippett like this.

  2. #2
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    Peter Houghton, the driver of that car, now 79 years old, has entered this year's Alpine Rally starting in Lakes Entrance at the end of this month.
    2 years ago he placed 14th O/R out of 100 starters, I wonder how he will go this year?
    He is driving a Datsun 1600 in the rally but still owns a 404 and a 504, I think a 405 as well and is a member of PCCV.
    He started rallying in an MG in 1956 he then drove a 404 to high placings in various high profile events in the 1960s, Snowy Mountains ARC etc.
    He bought a Colt Fastback then a V6 Capri and eventually won the NSW Championship in a Datsun 1600.
    After not doing much for a few years he returned to enter the Red Centre to Gold Coast Rally in 2008 and was close to the lead before crashing out south of Cairns.
    One of Australia's best drivers ever and until the last Alpine (long way from home in Newcastle) never trailered his car to events!
    Dano, FIVEDOOR, GreenBlood and 1 others like this.

  3. #3
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Lilydale, Melbourne
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Thanks gentlemen, very interesting!

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
    John W

    1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

    1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

    2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

    Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo



  4. #4
    Member Grenouille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NSW, Aust
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Actually Peter is now 82 I am pretty sure Graham,

    he won a rally 2 years ago at 80 against blokes 1/4 his age!

    one of the best blokes on the planet.
    okalford and friday403 like this.

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    It was said he was 77 at the 2013 Alpine, just going on that.
    His Datsun is not of the highest spec but meticulously prepared with the important stuff such as MCA suspension.
    It would be great to see him drive the 404 one more time, but he said that he would want to prepare it properly, not have a half baked attempt.
    bahay likes this.

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    The Southern Cross mentioned in the ad would have been the 1967 or 1968 event.
    In 1966 Geoff Russell (of 2nd O/R in 403 at the first Armstrong 500 fame) drove Regan Motors fuel injected KF2 404 in the first Southern Cross, Sydney to Melbourne then back to Sydney.
    He was right on the pace but went off the road near Albury and finished down the field. The event was won by Harry Firth in his supercharged Lotus Cortina after the works Mini Cooper S challenge failed and Barry Ferguson crashed his VW (fitted with cement mixer engine, larger than the 1200cc original!) near the finish.
    John Regan was very enthusiastic in those days and entered many events in 404s until Tony Theiler crashed out in the 1969 Akademos VRC round. Tony was a very rapid driver and was referred to as the "Simon Evans of the 1960s" when inducted into the Victorian Rallying Hall of Fame a few years ago.
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 11th November 2015 at 06:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Peter Houghton is an amazing driver from a time when safety was a second thought ,where all the rally 404,s of the time KF2 motors in Australia ,Europe and Africa. Was the KF2 sold to the public over here or imported to race and how much more horse power do they have over the standard 80hp 1600cc and are the gear ratio,s the same
    Marty.
    friday403 likes this.

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    The only KF2 that was rallied at high level was the Regans car.
    Peter Houghtons car was stock 1967 carby.
    Talking to him a while back we both agreed that it made no difference if you fitted a more powerful engine to a 404, you went at the same speed, you didn't have to back off as much with the stock engine.
    Also a 1600 carby engine running properly has amazing mid range torque and on gravel roads gathers speed like you wouldn't believe considering the specs. That little Solex combined with tuned inlet and exhaust tracts really worked.
    KF2 has 96 HP compared to 80, the one I had didn't go as well as a carby engine but had excellent fuel economy.
    KF2s in this country were personal imports only. I don't know how Regans obtained theirs, maybe a special deal for motorsport.
    Gear ratios the same.
    Safety may have been a second thought but there were far fewer serious accidents in those days. Lower grip levels meant you didn't suddenly get unstuck, particularly relevant in bitumen rallying today where most of the serious accidents happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    Peter Houghton is an amazing driver from a time when safety was a second thought ,where all the rally 404,s of the time KF2 motors in Australia ,Europe and Africa. Was the KF2 sold to the public over here or imported to race and how much more horse power do they have over the standard 80hp 1600cc and are the gear ratio,s the same
    Marty.

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts Peter C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SWOTR
    Posts
    3,657

    Default

    Im sure I recall Brian nicholas saying that Regan's obtained kits of the parts needed to convert standard carby 404s over to an Injection ones, which they then did.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Hi Regan,s motors must have been a thriving business in the day my car was sold new by them I have the original 3 month warrantee certificate - yes 3 months not years.
    A KF2 kit sounds like fun.
    Dano likes this.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Peter C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SWOTR
    Posts
    3,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    Hi Regan,s motors must have been a thriving business in the day my car was sold new by them I have the original 3 month warrantee certificate - yes 3 months not years.
    A KF2 kit sounds like fun.
    Lots of luck with finding an Injection kit. To be honest, it sounded a bit far fetched at the time.

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    They did import a 140 hp works 504 Ti kit, never used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Lots of luck with finding an Injection kit. To be honest, it sounded a bit far fetched at the time.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Peter C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SWOTR
    Posts
    3,657

    Default

    Well then you just never know.

  14. #14
    Member Grenouille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NSW, Aust
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Peter's 404 is still pretty much... stock
    it does have 180B strut towers & landcruiser rear shocks & couple of other bits & pieces but you wouldn't pick it from either looking or driving it. Its a nice car to drive,- goes almost as well as my car & I have twin weber, big exhaust & electronic ign. mine has a bit more power with the second barrel of course.
    He has been slowly cleaning it up & so now its a bit too good to rally.
    he does however have the Datto & a 504 rally car which he still uses for the odd occasion.
    did a big trip in the 70's across the Gunbarrel highway in the 404 which was a nice adventure for such a car.

    i'll give him a call & explain why his ears are no doubt burning...

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts Mike Tippett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    I don't suppose anyone would have the VINs of any of these legendary 404s to share....

    The KF2, well tuned, is an amazing combination of velvety torque, seamless power to 6000 RPM and excellent fuel economy. You need the Peugeot-Fenwick factory tool kit to get the best out of the KF2.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

  16. #16
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    Is it the same 404 he used to rally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Peter's 404 is still pretty much... stock
    it does have 180B strut towers & landcruiser rear shocks & couple of other bits & pieces but you wouldn't pick it from either looking or driving it. Its a nice car to drive,- goes almost as well as my car & I have twin weber, big exhaust & electronic ign. mine has a bit more power with the second barrel of course.
    He has been slowly cleaning it up & so now its a bit too good to rally.
    he does however have the Datto & a 504 rally car which he still uses for the odd occasion.
    did a big trip in the 70's across the Gunbarrel highway in the 404 which was a nice adventure for such a car.

    i'll give him a call & explain why his ears are no doubt burning...

  17. #17
    Member Grenouille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NSW, Aust
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Right..
    The plot thickens..

    Spoke to the man-
    I have an apology Graham & stand corrected! - he is fact 79 & will be 80 in feb.
    In my defence I will reference a certain Goodwin who shall remain partially nameless as miss informant - cant trust them Goodwins…!

    Actually that car Peter thinks might have been a 68-69 model. He did have a 67,68 & 69.
    Car he has now is a 70 he bought later & he does also have a donor car in the mezzanine last time I was there. Bought the 70 from someone & rebuilt it to what it is now.

    The current 404 does have the old Rally timer still in & I know he used that car for some rally work - not sure which ones. Occasionally it also has a second fuel tank in the boot.

    Mike T. - now imagine you asking that…
    I did give you the VIN for Peter H's current car a while ago maybe with a second one of mine from memory..?

    Peter is safely beyond the reach of email & the net so have asked JB for a copy of the add which he has never seen & will pass it on. Was working on the 1600 for its next venture as we speak so he's not giving in yet.

  18. #18
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,279

    Default

    I was going on the events he contested when I said 1967, maybe he could remember whether it had a C3 or BA7 gearbox.
    I'm working on my 205 for the same event that Peter is entering.
    We have a spare bed or two in our holiday unit if anyone wants to come to spectate, service crew for us or help the officials out, they are always looking for people.
    Lakes Entrance last weekend of November, 100 2 wheel drive rally cars, lots of past champions from up to 50 years ago and todays stars, Tom Wilde, Jack Monkhouse etc.
    Graham


    Quote Originally Posted by Grenouille View Post
    Right..
    The plot thickens..

    Spoke to the man-
    I have an apology Graham & stand corrected! - he is fact 79 & will be 80 in feb.
    In my defence I will reference a certain Goodwin who shall remain partially nameless as miss informant - cant trust them Goodwins…!

    Actually that car Peter thinks might have been a 68-69 model. He did have a 67,68 & 69.
    Car he has now is a 70 he bought later & he does also have a donor car in the mezzanine last time I was there. Bought the 70 from someone & rebuilt it to what it is now.

    The current 404 does have the old Rally timer still in & I know he used that car for some rally work - not sure which ones. Occasionally it also has a second fuel tank in the boot.

    Mike T. - now imagine you asking that…
    I did give you the VIN for Peter H's current car a while ago maybe with a second one of mine from memory..?

    Peter is safely beyond the reach of email & the net so have asked JB for a copy of the add which he has never seen & will pass it on. Was working on the 1600 for its next venture as we speak so he's not giving in yet.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts Mike Tippett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Thanks Grenouille
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

  20. #20
    Member Grenouille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NSW, Aust
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Graham,
    Ordinarily I would jump at this but just now we are a bit snowed under. I did have an involvement in the rally circuit in Brisangeles about 86-87 with some kookie cars so always happy to come & help with crew, support etc. keep me posted on the next venture & we'll try to make it for that.

    Mike - better check your list & see if you can find it - I recall writing an email to you but when…? Does your list give you an ID of who owns which car or just a sequence of numbers?

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts Mike Tippett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    1,757

    Default

    Yeah it has names etc, it is an excel file. Let me check...
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •