• Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marty 404

Thread: Pug 404 Reverse Switch

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 404 Reverse Switch

Guys,

Advertisement

Any idea if the 1968 model came with a reverse switch? Was searching all around the gearbox for that I.P.R and found nothing.

Pug 404 Reverse Switch-reverse2.jpgPug 404 Reverse Switch-reverse1.jpg
    Last edited by peugeotnut; 8th November 2015 at 11:09 PM.

I think the Super Luxe models had it but not the Grand Tourisme. So if your car doesn't have a sunroof, it might be missing.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Daniel,

Only the 1970 404 came with reversing lights in Australia.

There is a bolt/bung on the bottom left side of the BA7 gearbox, in which you can insert a switch.

It is possible to convert your car to have reversing lights by,

Removing the bung. Check the oil level first, it may flow out of the hole?)Insert a switch
    Run a wire from a fuse that has constant power when the ignition is active, to the switch. (I'd run an inline fuse for addition protection as well)
    Run a wire from the switch to the rear where you are going to position your lights. You'll also need an earth there somewhere.
    Mount aftermarket lights that are suitable to act as reversing lamps.
    Or, source a set of 1970 tail lights that have inbuilt reversing lamps. From memory they are fairly dull.

If you need a set of genuine lights with reversing lights, PM me as I have a spare set.

Cheers,

Dan

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Mike and Dano.

I have not seen any 404's with sunroof here in Malaysia. But there are still shops that carry NOS rear lights with or without the reverse lenses.

Dano,

I did notice a bolt on the lower end of both sides, you did mention left hand side, so I suppose it's the same side where the clutch slave is located.... is this correct? Attached is a picture I found with a switch....

Pug 404 Reverse Switch-tranny.jpg

Regards
    Daniel

Daniel,

Yes, the one on the slave cylinder side. It has quite a large head and fairly flat. It is around 21-23 across the flats. I'll check my box when I get home this arvo and let you know. The photo isn't clear. The switch is a simple contact switch that is activated by the selector shaft when reverse is engaged.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    Thanks Mike and Dano.

I have not seen any 404's with sunroof here in Malaysia. But there are still shops that carry NOS rear lights with or without the reverse lenses.

Dano,

I did notice a bolt on the lower end of both sides, you did mention left hand side, so I suppose it's the same side where the clutch slave is located.... is this correct? Attached is a picture I found with a switch....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tranny.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	76760

Regards
    Daniel
    Yes, that's it. In your photo it looks like it already has the switch fitted with the brass tabs showing. Otherwise, it'll be a large flat headed bolt.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Peugeot Nut
    My 68 404 did not have the reversing light switch it is an easy add on ,I fitted one to mine and a reversing light from Franszone that is for a Citroen that looks the part and works well you could hang the light under the rear bumper to hide it.Pug 404 Reverse Switch-img_0953.jpg
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Default rev light switch

Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    Hi Peugeot Nut
    My 68 404 did not have the reversing light switch it is an easy add on ,I fitted one to mine and a reversing light from Franszone that is for a Citroen that looks the part and works well you could hang the light under the rear bumper to hide it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	76841
    The 404 reverse light switch is the same as the 504 reverse light switch from memory...they must be available s/h or maybe new?
    The 504 gearbox is a different (floorshift) version of the 404 BA7 box.
    Cheers

John
    Last edited by bahay; 9th November 2015 at 08:14 PM.

Daniel,

Just had a look at one of my gearboxes and where you have indicated with the arrow in your picture, is where the switch is located.

Cheers

Dan

Just had a look at a 404 parts catalogue - Part number 2257-12
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

You guys are just great, thanks man... Simon, Dano, John, Marty and Peter.

Marty,
    When I bought my car it came with the reverse lenses, although I believe since being a 1968 model it's suppose to be the model without the reverse lenses. I could be wrong. The previous owner had a dip switch located below the dash to activated the lights.
    Maybe for the 403 I would add an additional reverse lamp.

Regards
    Daniel

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Peugeot nut your 404 in Malaysia do you where it was made it may have different spec,s to the Australian assembled 404,s.

The previous owner had a dip switch located below the dash to activated the lights.
    The floor mounted dip switch is wasted on reverse lights. I had a floor mounted dip switch used for wipers on my 404. Much easier to use than the crap position Peugeot mount the wiper switch. And no holes drilled in the dash and looks acceptably original.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Marty,

The Vin plate says made in France.
    Got the reverse switch today, another last NOS from this dealer.

Regards
    Daniel

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

If it's a 67 onwards one may find the reverse light wiring is taped back into the loom. The pins in the tail light connectors will be wired up, and the extra lead from the tail light can be plugged in. The electric fan wires on aust assembled 404s usually are taped back into the loom too, since they had the rigid fan. The 504 uses the same reverse light switch and yes, oil runs out the hole!

Thread Information